The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Silver MS-Optical Sonnetar 50mm f1.1

kuujinbo

$1375 - USPS Priority shipping with insurance and PayPal fees included. US only, unless you have some buy/sell history or are a longtime member here, and we can negotiate extra shipping charges. Comes with original hood and front and rear lens caps. Rear cap is metal screw-on that covers the lens element only, not black plastic cap in photos.

Mint - purchased new this August from japan exposures That link with price is for the black version - the silver version is $200-$300 more, although they are mechanically the same. Bought with the intention of either keeping it or the Zeiss 50/1.5 ZM, since it's a stop faster and even shorter and lighter than the Zeiss. In the end the Zeiss won, although barely.

-- A review - Phoblographer

-- Recent post by another member here.

NOTE:

1. Lens MFD supposed to be 0.8m, but this copy focuses to 0.9m plus or minus a couple cm. I contacted japan exposures, and was told me since MS-Optical is a one man operation, MFD varies by copy. Also contacted someone at RFF to verify, and he said his copy is closer to 0.7m. Since this copy is sharp (for me) and focuses well, I decided to keep it instead of sending back to Japan.

More photos here. Example photos all shot wide open, except the last two, shot at f4.

f1.1, but tiny!

Last edited:

mmbma

I got one of these babies. totally replaced my Noctilux. Sounds incredible but the tiny size really makes this lens my go to when I need F1 aperture. Highly recommend! I waited for 6 months on the list to get one.

kuujinbo

Thanks, was wondering why you're selling your Noctilux at such a low price. ;)

It won't break my heart if there are no takers on this lens. :)