The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

FS: Leica 16-18-21mm Tri-Elmar-M Wate and Finder

robsteve

Subscriber
I have for sale my EX+++ to mint minus wide angle 16-16-21mm Tri-Elmar-M. I am the original owner of this lens. It is a Leica USA version and comes complete with the box, leather case manuals and etc. Included is the Leica finder designed for this lens. It also comes complete with box, papers and case.

My asking price is $4800 USD, shipped worldwide. The one exception is that the shipping needs to be insurable to your country via EMS, otherwise the more expensive courier route needs to be used at buyers expense. I can take paypal as long as you send CAD. I also accept wire, which can be sent as either USD or CAD.

Keep in mind that a lot of the bright marks in the photos are just bright highlights. For example on the hood, it looks like metal is showing on the edges, but it is actually a plastic hood.

robsteve

Subscriber
No 6 bit?
Yes, it is 6-bit. I think all the WATE are 6-bit. Here are the lens specs from the Leica Technical data PDF. In the mount section, you can see it says 6-bit.

Technical Data
Angle of view (diagonal, horizontal, vertical)
for 35 mm (24 x 36 mm):
at 16 mm: 107°, 97°, 74°
at 18 mm: 100°, 90°, 67°
at 21 mm: 92°, 81°, 60°
for digital (18 x 27 mm):
at 16 mm: 90°, 80°, 59°
at 18 mm: 84°, 74°, 53°
at 21 mm: 75°, 65°, 46°, corresponds approx. to a focal length of 21/24/28 mm with 35 mm-format
Optical design Number of elements / groups: 10 / 7
Distance setting
Focusing range: 0.5 m to Infinity, range from 0.5 to 0.7 m separated by index Scales: Combined meter/feet graduation with uniform grey figures below 0.7 m Smallest object field:
for 35 mm:
at 16 mm: 915 x 1373 mm, approx. 1:38 at 18 mm: 833 x 1250 mm, approx. 1:35 at 21 mm: 725 x 1087 mm, approx. 1:30 for digital:
at 16 mm: 688 x 1032 mm, approx. 1:38 at 18 mm: 626 x 939 mm, approx. 1:35 at 21 mm: 545 x 817 mm, approx. 1:30 Highest reproduction ratio: at 0,7 m at 16 mm: 1:38
at 18 mm: 1:35 at 21 mm: 1:30
Aperture Setting / Function: Preset, with click-stops, half values available Lowest value: 22
Bayonet Leica M quick-change bayonet with 6 bit lens identification bar code for digital M models
Filter (type) Male thread, non-rotating and with stop for filter holder or lens hood
Lens hood screw-on type lens hood (included in delivery), filter holder for E67 size filters optionally available
Dimensions and weight Length: approx. 62/72 mm (with/without lens hood)
Largest diameter: approx. 54 mm (53 x 58 mm with lens hood)
Weight: approx. 335 g

robsteve

Subscriber
Somebody asked if I would sell it without the finder. Yes, I would and the price would be $4,300 without the finder.

kuau

Workshop Member
Drooling, I have to win the lottery, oh yeah no lottery in Utah
I think this will be the one WA lens that will work very with with the new Sony A7
GLWS

jstaben

fantastic lens on the new M240. Didn't enjoy it near as much with the optical finder on the M9 but now with live view/EVF and the fact that it's the only M-zoom (yes, it works for any FL in between 16 and 21 so you have a 17mm/19mm/20mm too) makes it very fun to use!

jonoslack

Fantastic lens - Rob's mad to sell it (completely loopy).
. . . but isn't the lens hood metal? Mine certainly is (just checked) with a cutout.

anyway, whatever, just buy it Steven - you'll forget the pain!

robsteve

Subscriber
Fantastic lens - Rob's mad to sell it (completely loopy).
. . . but isn't the lens hood metal? Mine certainly is (just checked) with a cutout.

anyway, whatever, just buy it Steven - you'll forget the pain!
Jono:

I will have to look at the hood again. I think it is metal and plastic, with the baffle portion plastic.

edit:

Jono was correct, it is an all metal hood. There were a couple bright spots on the corners, seen in the photos, but the the overall bright edge of the hood is just spectral highlights from the flash.

robsteve

Subscriber
I am the original owner of this lens and the pictures don't do justice to the shape it is in.

I am open to offers until the end of the weekend, then it goes onto eBay. Surprisingly in the past when I have listed lenses on eBay that have shown little interest here; they have sold for much more than the price I listed them for here.

robsteve

Subscriber
New Price:

Lens and finder $4500.

Lens only $4200.

Prices net to me via either PayPal, bank draft or wire transfer. I will ship worldwide, and pay half of the shipping and insurance costs.