The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Contax G Biogon 21/2.8 Converted to Leica M by Hawk

vdeakin

Another family jewel is up for sale, a practically new Contax G 21mm f2.8 converted by Hawk to Leica M mount with range coupling, focusing helicoid and distance/depth of field scale. It is a rare and beautiful lens, but is sold for the same reason – switching to a system where this unique lens cannot be used, but the funds it would generate could be quite useful.
The conversion removed the rear part of Contax G21,with flaps and such, gave it a focusing ring with a distance scale and the M mount, making it a bona fide Leica lens with intact Contax G optics. I believe it’s coded as the Elmarit-M 21mm f/2.8 ASPH according to people in the know (see the picture).
I’m not a Leica owner, but the lens was tested briefly on both M9 and M8 through an accident of sorts. The conversion was conceived in anticipation of a new Ricoh GXR-M, but the new Ricoh never materialized. When the lens finally came (after a very long and arduous wait), I started testing it on my Nex-5N, but had initial problems with infinity and distance scale with what proved to be a horrible Nex to M adapter. Not sure what or who to blame, I took it to Tamarkin Leica shop downtown Chicago.
Mr Tamarkin grabbed the lens before I finished my introduction, slammed it on M9, took a ceiling shot and proclaimed it vignette free. He then let me play for an hour with the M9, then with an M8 and gave me a measuring tape to check on the calibration of the distance scale. To make it short, the distance scale, the infinity focus and the range coupling on both M9 and M8 proved to be right on the money. I include a wide open shot (last photo) of Mr. Tamarkin shop taken with the lens on M9.
Incidentally, my next NEX to M adapter (Fotodiox Pro) was infinitely better and became perfect too with a bit of shimming. I had no vignette or color fringing issues on the Nex-5N.
The lens comes with the original Contax front cap, deep rear Leica cap, three filters. Also included is a protective rear element ring which I removed with Hawk’s blessing because it wouldn’t fit into a Nex-5N cavity.
The conversion is reversible according to Hawk, so the Contax parts that were removed are also available as is the original box and the leather case for the G21. The latter would require an extra or bigger shipment, so it’s up to the buyer to include all these extras.
The selling price for the G21-M - $1475.00
Fotodiox Pro M-Nex adapter (shimmed) - $45.00
The price for the lens and/or adapter doesn’t include shipping w/insurance or PayPal fees. Checks or PayPal gifts are o.k.
Returns within first ten days within continental USA are o.k. too.
I’ve sold a few items at this forum before (there must be some feedback), and I have the same moniker on Ebay.

vdeakin

A member asked me what the filters are. Here they are:

1) S & W FILTER UV 55mm
2) HOYA Pro1 Digital 55mm MC UV[0] Made in Japan
3) CONTAX 55mm A2(81B) MC

vdeakin

O.K. Here's my own reasonable suggestion:
before it goes to other venues, the price goes to $1375.00. All the other conditions stay.