The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

WTB I think: Sony 50mm f/1.4 Carl Zeiss Planar T* ZA Lens

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
I need a 50mm lens that can work both on A and E mounts although Im in the air no question. I want the Sigma 50mm ART for Sony but not out yet. My budget is about 700. I can maybe stretch something. I found this lens used for 1100. its that 400 dollar gap thats killing me. LOL

I could even cheat buy a Canon mount in the Sigma than switch it out down the road.

If your selling a 50mm range lens now is the time to list it. I got a itchy forefinger on a buy button:clap:

iiiNelson

Just get the Sigma if you can afford to wait... Nothing short of the Zeiss will probably make you have peace of mind.

Guy Mancuso

I know looks interesting too. Might be a fun lens. It's the A mount that has me screwed up. I have for the A77II two lenses for PR the Sigma 18-35 1.4 which is awesome and my 85 1.4 which the equivalent focal lengths are 24-52mm and 127mm . The question I keep banging is do I need a 75 equivalent in the middle. For thee mount I have 17,24 TSE glass with a 1.4 converter I get a solid 33mm on the 24tse than the 80 so yea a 50 would be the ticket. I'm still stuck on this A mount crap. I need a crop mount sensor built like the A77II and the A6000 is it sort of but I need it to be a better body.

iiiNelson

Maybe try out the Sony (non-Zeiss) version to see if you like it or rent as needed until the Sigma is released.

Guy Mancuso

Turns out Sigma lenses can be converted to another mount, for a fee of course but that saves selling and buying again. I think I may get the Canon mount Sigma since I have the metabones now than when Sony mount comes out than make the switch. Anything else I'm looking at is not really at this level of glass. Okay need to raise about 300 bucks. If anyone sees a sigma 50 art in canon well let me know, used that is. I could always do the 30 day return thing, but that's cheating and don't like doing that. Just got a gig for next Thursday and this would be handy.

my_photography

You can use A on E with adapter but I am afraid not the other way round. Getting a Canon mount also means you are restricted to use it on your E mount camera.

Guy Mancuso

Yes fully aware of the limitations. I have several A mount lenses now. Here is the problem Sigma has not actually delivered several and correct me if I'm wrong but they have not put a A mount actually on the streets lately. The 24-105 has been promised for months and still nothing

my_photography

I haven't been really following Sigma but I think you are correct. Lately not much excitement for A mount, not even from Sony itself. If you don't mind the speed, Minolta 50/1.4 (or the Sony 50/1.4) is actually not a bad lens. It should be faster on your A77II.