The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Feeler: Sony ZA 50mm 1.4 and 35mm FE

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
I might be wanting to switch some things around. I have a very new grey market ZA 50mm 1.4 that I bought a month or so ago. Im thinking of selling this and I just bought the 35mm FE off a forum member and have not even tried it yet. Its in good condition but does have some rub marks on focus ring. Here is what I need and willing to trade for a FE 24-70 which would be a good PR lens along with my 16-35. So if you want a partial trade or whatever for the 24-70 I'm interested in that and than I can maybe get another lens.

So here are the asking prices the ZA 50mm 1.4 I am asking 1050 for and the 35mm FE what I paid for it 525 dollars. Remember I ship for free and that is costly so consider that and I never ever charge for Paypal fees. Gift option would be nice on Paypal.

Here they both are new

Sony 50mm f/1.4 Carl Zeiss Planar T* ZA Lens SAL50F14Z B&H Photo

Sony Sonnar T* FE 35mm f/2.8 ZA Lens SEL35F28Z B&H Photo Video

Irenaeus

Hey Guy,

I really like the 55/1.8 FE you sold me and am interested to know if you've had a chance to check out the quality control, lens centering, etc. of the 35 FE you're thinking of selling yet? I probably shouldn't be interested as I do also have the RX1 and a lovely little Leica X1, but the weather resistant build of your lens appeals to me.

I may think better of it tomorrow, but I'd be happy to know your finely trained expert opinion about that 35 FE lens.

Cheers,

Irenaeus

Irenaeus

Thanks, I'm still interested, maybe more so...

Do you also have a sudden need to get rid of an A7II at a great price in order to meet some pressing commercial engagement that requires a fabulously expensive new piece of gear? :angel:

Irenaeus

Guy Mancuso

Love the A7II. That one I'm holding on too. Frankly it's just about perfect.

I did not get a chance to try it today. I'm pretty sick, actually my wife and son have this nasty cold too. PITA

Couch potatoes today. Lol

Irenaeus

Sorry to hear that, Guy — hope you feel better and get well soon! Don't worry about me, I'm not actively looking anywhere else, so take your time until you're ready.

Best to you all,

Irenaeus

Guy Mancuso

Not seeing any decentering but I would not shoot this at F11 as I can see the image degrade. Corners look good at even F4 but come into the best at F8. Much better than my original lens I had very early on and sent back. Corners look even on both sides which this was where I had the issue early on. Now still not the absolute best for corner sharpness but this lens was never rated that high for it anyway. Center sharpness is very good even at 2.8

I always viewed this lens as a notch below the 55mm 1.8 but I think we all know that and its real intent is small, lightweight very nice central sharpness lens.

Irenaeus

Hey Guy,

I've been thinking it over and will have to pass on your 35mm FE lens. It was easy to justify your perfect 55/1.8 FE, even though I didn't own a camera to mount it on, but it's become impossible to do so with a second lens, especially since I already have the RXi with it's fixed 35mm lens.I'll just have to ward off any more GAS attacks until the money has a chance to build up a bit more Then I'll buy the camera and see what's what with the lens situation after that.

Thanks for the dialogue about it and I look forward to the possibility of more transactions in the future.

Cheers and all the best,

Irenaeus

Guy Mancuso

Okay the ZA 50 1.4 the new current price is 975.00. The 35MM FE I will keep for now unless someone wants it at 515.00. The 50 needs to go fairly soon as I need to order before the workshop so I need it by Friday before Superbowl

my_photography

Perhaps for people out of the states, part of the reason is currently the US$ is too strong against other currencies.

Last edited:
Guy, I just saw an eBay auction of this 50 lens ended at a ridiculous price so I don't think it is a good time to sell right now. FWIW, a couple of Otii 55 were sold at $2,300 (mint) yesterday and $3100 (brand new) a few days before. :(