The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

FS: Contax 55mm 1.2 100 Jahre Full Set

1. Contax Zeiss Planar 55mm 1.2 100 Jahre

So instead of telling you all the specs (you can get that from Zeiss data sheet), let me tell a story or two about this lens.

This is definitely the crown jewel in the Contax Zeiss line-up. You probably know a little about this lens since I have not seen this lens for sale on this forum ever before. What most might not know is that this is the only highest performing fast (faster than 1.4) 50/55 without the use of an Aspherical element; so there is no "onion ring" in this one. Designed by Herr Doktor Walter Woeltche, the man behind the Zeiss Ultra Primes series, this Zeiss is basically the improved version of the much touted Canon FD Aspherical/AL 55mm 1.2 (sharper than the current EF)

Herr Walter Woeltche was distracted at that time with his own creation of the Ultra Primes series when Zeiss asked him to come up with worthy 55 lens to celebrate the 100th year anniversary of the Planar design in 1996. He took an easy way out by studying the Canon FD 55/1.2 Aspherical design, which was realized about 25 years before. Even distracted, Walter was at his prime of his career and knowledge. Hence, all of his expertise translated into this lens. At f/1.2, the two can trade blow in term of IQ. The Contax might have a bit more CA due to the lack of an aspherical element; however, it has a bit higher resolution across the frame. More importantly, when stopping down, the Contax is just simply head and shoulder above the Canon. The amount of field curvature for this lens is surprisingly minimal, considering it's a 1.2 lens.

Now from my own experience, I have the infinity optical test to show that this very copy of Contax 55 Jahre is much sharper than the Leica Summilux 50 1.4 ASPH and the ZA 50 1.4 (A-mount version). It only concedes to the G45 and FE 55 in term of field curvature flatness. But where it is sharp, it's actually sharper than the FE 55. I can provide the tests for serious buyer.

Finally, I shall not disclose the name of the previous buyer for privacy purpose, but this lens and the 85 Jahre had been at Leica HQ for research purpose.

So here you have a lens with not only an outstanding and rich history behind it, but it also has the optical prowess to back this all up. So coming with the lens is a complete and matching accessories. All are in mint condition. I also throw in a free Contax hood cap and an Optech Neoprene hood cap.

The lens has been sent to Nippon Photo Clinic, the official US Contax service as of April 1st 2015, for quality inspection. It receives a complete 10 in all categories except for the mount being a 9 since it has been mounted on my camera (I will provide the original paperwork). Yes, I do shoot with the lens long enough to know its strengths and weaknesses. Nonetheless, this lens can serve both as a collector piece or a shooter piece.

I'm selling this because I now have a different priority in life. If everything is perfect, I would rather keep this lens and pass it on to my son/daughter, but sadly...

I will post the pictures of the set by the end of this week, but for now, I include only the front element picture I took a few years ago.

I am asking $6800 shipped and insured within CONUS. Any extra fee is going to be on your end.

Last edited: