The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

FS: Contax 85mm 1.2 60 Jahre Full Set

This is one of the prides and joys of Herr Walter Woeltche. Similar story to the Contax 55 above, he studied the design of the Canon 85/1.2 Aspherical (again sharper than the EF 85/1.2 Mark 2) and came up with his own in 1982 for the 50 years anniversary edition. The 60 years is just the reiteration with better coatings and construction. This one is basically a pair with the 55 I got. They spent their time together for quite a while.

Optically, this lens, again outclasses the Canon version (looses out in term of CA at f/1.2). However, stopping down, this is among the sharpest lenses I have ever shot with. I can't detect any field curvature at f/5.6. And I have shot with the likes of CV 125, Pentax FA* 200/4 Macro and the Summicron 180/2.

This also comes with a complete and matching accessories. Nippon Photo Clinic gives the same ratings as the Contax 55 above. I am forced to provide the buyer of this lens the copy of the paperwork since the Contax 55 buyer would get priority. The portrait from this lens is breath-taking. It has a good blend between sharpness and smoothness. Strangely, it has a gradual bokeh roll-off than most Zeiss. Its 3D-ness is not as aggressive as the Contax 35/1.4 or the 100/2. It has that gentle touch that is very nice. Bokeh is smooth but with well-defined structures.

Pictures of the lens are going to be up by the end of the week. For now, I include the front element picture that I took a few years ago (a 20-second portrait :D ). This comes with matching and complete accessories. I also include the Optech hood hat.

I am asking $3800 shipped and insured within CONUS. Any extra fee is going to be on your end.