The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

FS:Two 50/1.5 Sonnars: Jupiter-3 (1953), Zeiss Jena (1937); Contax RF-E Adapter

vdeakin

For sale are two Sonnars:
1) A pre-war (1937, I think) Carl Zeiss Jena with, I've been told, some early natural mineral coating, but I'm not sure I can see it, and
2) 1953 Jupiter-3 with, reputedly, original Zeiss parts (according to the lore) and coating (the red Cyrillic 'p').
Both render similarly beautifully, equally sharp, but J-3 is obviously more contrastier - see the enclosed photo comparison at WO and f8. It's in the following (and obvious) order: Jena open, J-3 open, Jena stopped down, J-3 stopped down. I can't tell which I prefer - vive la difference.
The adapter is one of those Frankenstein Soviet offerings based on Kiev mount. It was a rattling and imprecise affair which I fixed with A/B welding for a perfect and not rattling infinity on my NEX-5N. Works nicely and beats those $300+ options.
Both Sonnars are in very nice condition, especially for the age. The aperture ring moves freer on the J-3 compared to the Jena. The optics are great on both. I'm selling because I'm switching to a system where I can't use'em.
Jena - $245.00 (comes with both caps)
J-3 - $225.00 (comes with front cap)
RF-E - $70.00
The prices include shipping and PP fees.

Attachments

vdeakin

For sale are two Sonnars:
1) A pre-war (1937, I think) Carl Zeiss Jena with, I've been told, some early natural mineral coating, but I'm not sure I can see it, and
2) 1953 Jupiter-3 with, reputedly, original Zeiss parts (according to the lore) and coating (the red Cyrillic 'p').
Both render similarly beautifully, equally sharp, but J-3 is obviously more contrastier - see the enclosed photo comparison at WO and f8. It's in the following (and obvious) order: Jena open, J-3 open, Jena stopped down, J-3 stopped down. I can't tell which I prefer - vive la difference.
The adapter is one of those Frankenstein Soviet offerings based on Kiev mount. It was a rattling and imprecise affair which I fixed with A/B welding for a perfect and not rattling infinity on my NEX-5N. Works nicely and beats those $300+ options.
Both Sonnars are in very nice condition, especially for the age. The aperture ring moves freer on the J-3 compared to the Jena. The optics are great on both. I'm selling because I'm switching to a system where I can't use'em.
Jena - $245.00 (comes with both caps)
J-3 - $225.00 (comes with front cap)
RF-E - $70.00
The prices include shipping and PP fees.
bump

vdeakin

How about 10% off for the brave soul who buys all three items? Any other offers/ideas? If there is no enthusiasm, the Sonnars go on Ebay.