The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Canon FD 800/5.6 SSC & 300/2.8L and Nikon 500/8 Reflex

Albino_BlacMan

Canon FD 800/5.6 SSC & 300/2.8L and Nikon 500/8 Reflex

My conditions: For items which don’t include shipping (usually the cheap stuff), shipping is usually $20 - $25 (to Canada or the USA) so buy a bunch of stuff to make it worthwhile. I accept most payment methods. All prices are negotiable and I'm happy to do package deals. If any of my prices don’t reflect what everyone else is asking please PM and so I can fix it. I like to keep communications quick so if I don’t hear back from you 48 hours after I send a PM/email than I reserve the right to sell the item to a different buyer. I have positive feedback on Fourthirdsphoto, FredMiranda, Pentax forums and GetDPI as Albino_BlacMan and on eBay as ctp046.

Canon FD 800mm f5.6 SSC
This is probably the cheapest way to get reasonable quality at 800mm
Price: $1300 shipped
Glass: Clean and clear, no scratches fungus or haze. Some internal dust, but this lens is almost 40 years old so that is expected
Aperture: Snappy and oil free
Focus: Nice and smooth
Cosmetics: Overall fairly good. Some spots of paint loss, some spots of oxidization. Overall nothing to suggest that the lens hasn’t been well cared for.
Accessories: Front softcover, rear cap (no case or clip on lens hood), Kinesis L622 semi-rigid bag ($296 new from B&H), Hejnar photo 16 inch rail ($100 new direct from Chris Hejnar)
Notes: Lens does not come with the tripod or ballhead seen in pictures. I will ship it in the Kinesis bag and wrap the bag in bubble wrap, but depending on what kind of mood the shipping guys are in I can’t guarantee the condition of the bag when it shows up (although I will make sure the lens arrives safe). The bag is however very well made. The built in hood works nicely.
Notes on Canon FD: this is a Canon FD lens and not a Canon EOS lens. The lens does not have AF and can only be used on mirrorless cameras with adapters. It can also be used on Canon EOS bodies with an expensive adapter.

Canon FD 300mm f2.8L
Some people would call this lens “user condition”. I like to think of this thing as instant street cred.
Price: $750 shipped
Glass: A few small scratches/cleaning marks (see pictures). Also some big internal dirt spots. I don’t think they are fungus (they aren’t spidery). They may just be dirt from use or may be some internal paint flaking off. Lots of internal dust. This would make a killer shallow DOF portrait lens.
Note it comes with the filter holder but not a Canon 48mm UV filter. You can get a B+W brand one for less than $40.
Aperture: Snappy and oil free
Focus: Fairly smooth, possibly a little loose (I don’t know what resistance the focus had when new). Resistance might be slightly uneven in some spots but nothing major. Focus limiter works well.
Cosmetics: See pictures. Instant street cred machine. You’ll look like a working pro. Note that the rear section of the lens (where the camera mounts) moves freely. There is usually a locking mechanism allowing 4 different positions of rotation. That has been disabled on this lens. I don’t think it will interfere with shooting (this was done on purpose by the previous owner) but it is something to keep in mind.
Accessories: Rear cap (no lens hood, no case, no front cap, and no clip on lens hood). Also does not come with a drop in UV filter but does come with the filter holder. Rear section (where camera mounts) rotates freely as locking mechanism was disabled by previous owner. Built in lens hood has ding in it (see pictures).
Notes: Lens does not come with the tripod seen in pictures.
Notes on Canon FD: this is a Canon FD lens and not a Canon EOS lens. The lens does not have AF and can only be used on mirrorless cameras with adapters. It can also be used on Canon EOS bodies with an expensive adapter.

Nikon 500mm f8 Reflex-Nikkor (newer version)
This is pretty much the king of mirror lenses
Price: $425 Shipped
Glass: Clean and clear, no scratches fungus or haze. It’s an older lens so it has some dust.
Aperture: Doesn’t have one (and that’s the way it’s supposed to be)
Focus: Smooth with the classic “one finger focus” that Kenny R loves so much
Cosmetics: Overall very good (especially for the age of this lens), no major scratches or anything. Maybe some light marks if you look close enough but I can’t see many signs of use. The front cap is in decent condition, the case is in fairly good condition and 4 of the 5 filters haven’t even been taken out of their wrapping (or they were put back in there, I can’t tell 100% and I’ll leave them packed up)
Accessories: Front and rear caps, hardcase, 5 original 39mm filters
Notes: No clue if it’s Canadian or American lens, I doubt it matters due to the age of the lens.

Canon FD 800 f5.6 SSC

Canon FD 300mm f2.8L

Nikon 500mm f8