The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

SOLD: EoS-Mount Rokkor 58/1.2

robmac

Have for sale a converted to EoS mount Minolta Rokkor 58/1.2. late model, rubber ring, 27xxxxx serial. Glass clean, if there's any dust, I can't find it. Blades dry. Very minimal paint wear on body. Focus very smooth, aperture mechanics firm - no slop.

Is one of the cleanest used lens's I've owned (and God knows there have been many).

Lens is reputed to be very similar in performance to the legendary Nikon 58/1.2 and has proven VERY popular with shooters on the FM Alt forum - as prices have reflected. That forum has 1001 shots from lens and discussions of it's merits and shortcomings. From my perspective having never owned one before:

1. Impressed with lens's build quality (and quality of conversion kit). She's SOLID.
2. SMOOTH
3. Surprisingly sharp at 1.2 - and gets sharper as you stop down
4. Sweet bokeh
5, Very natural color.

Conversion Notes
-------------------------
1. Lens has been converted with a Jim B kit (not the file and sand method). Mounts securely with no slop on focus (the kit is really very well done). >> NOTE: For getdpi users not familiar with the Jim Buchanan conversion kit (think leitax Leica to Nikon), the FM Alternate forum is a great resource for info.<<

2. Rear shroud HAS BEEN FILED and filed area colored black. Clears my 1DS2 (and thus any 1 series) just fine.

3. Prior owner had issue JUST @ infinity mark on HIS 5D and adjusted lens to stay JUST shy of infinity vs filing shroud further as he didn't shoot lens at that distance anyway. A different 5D might be fine. I never re-adjusted lens as I shoot with a 1DS2 and quite frankly, shooting a lens like the 58/1.2 at infinity seemed silly anyway - she screams '..low-light and close...' work.
-------------

Comes with Canon rear cap, Minolta front cap, Minolta hood and generic cap for when hood mounted.

Price is US$650 PP'd and shipped in NA. Overseas is fine - buyer pays actual cost. PayPal is fine, as as EMT in Canada, eCheck, USPS International MO or CP MO. Cash in local area (Halifax N.S.), while not likely, is more than welcome.

While not a bargain, for a turn-key EoS 58/1.2 this clean, it's fair (and firm) given current (and increasing) market pricing. Am in NO rush to sell and will take my time - or move to Ebay if I decide to step-up pace (and likely price).

Reason for selling: As much as I like what the lens delivers, I don't shoot the FL often, already have a Leica 60 Macro and am shifting around my glass to only those that can mount or be converted to mount on Nikon (such as the 60 Macro). I could work at making the Rokkor F-mount, but I could not do as good as job as what the JB kit and prior owner did getting it to EoS mount.

Will trade for clean CV 58/1.4 w/hood or pre-ROM E55 Leica 50/2 + cash.

Thanks

Last edited:

robmac

Re: FS/FT EoS-Mount Rokkor 58/1.2

Pics (larger avial on request). Front caps not shown, but included. You MAY be able to chip the mount by buying a custom-encoded eprom from Rudolph at happypagehk on eBay (about $35).