The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

WTB: D700

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
I need a relatively fast full-frame body with very good high ISO performance. Interested in buying one of the above with or without glass. The lens I'd be interested in is a 70-200 f2.8 VR or IS zoom, and possibly a fast 24-70 as well. Will consider primes as well.

Thanks,

Mikec

Re: WTB: D700 or 5Dii or maybe a D3 if the price is right

Jack, I have just the camera for you. :)

It's a brand new D700 with MaxMax high-resolution modification. Lots of lenses as well (Zeiss, Nikon AF, and Nikon AIS).

I have decided that M8.2 will be my main camera system so I am selling most of everything else.

Camera body only, $2300 shipped.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member

Hi Mike:

PM sent for more details. Feel free to contact me directly at jack-at-getdpi-dot-com

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor

buying me a camera. What a nice guy you are

charlesphoto

Mike,

Are they doing the FF Nikons? How do you like it? More info please. I might be interested in doing my D3.

(I would actually prefer a D700 but I bought the D3 before it came out and damn if I'm going to lose value on a camera yet again by selling it).

Charles

Bob

Administrator
Staff member

Jack, You should have caught me three months ago :ROTFL:

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member

Bob, did you sell your Nikons -- I didn't know that?

Bob

Administrator
Staff member

I think I have a remote control left and a few filters.
Yes, I really didn't like the files or lenses, not dissing Nikon, because I didn't like Canons either. I just didn't need all that gear for the three times a year I used it.
The MF and Leica gear covers most of what I need with the exception of low light, but the MP and some high speed film works pretty well.
I am hoping for a D700x and one zoom in the future (maybe) but time will tell.
-bob

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member

I hear you on the files -- pretty tough to compete with the MF backs and even the lowly, but supremely clean M8 file ;) -- but both of my daughters are playing volleyball and so a relatively fast action, high ISO camera is needed for that, and frankly the net file quality being plastic-like isn't all that bad for this application.

Bob

Administrator
Staff member

Jack,
A D700 plus a 70-200 2.8 zoom is what you want.
I used earlier versions of that lens with a F3HP for years as a Hockey Dad.
I shot most of that on 400ISO film
You could use, but don't need the D3, its added weight and speed are probably not all that helpful in that application (having used and sold both)
-bob

Mikec

Mike,

Are they doing the FF Nikons? How do you like it? More info please. I might be interested in doing my D3.

(I would actually prefer a D700 but I bought the D3 before it came out and damn if I'm going to lose value on a camera yet again by selling it).

Charles
I called MaxMax and asked about the D700. I don't really know why it's not listed. Maybe because the dust-removal vibration function will be disbled. I do believe MaxMax does support the D3.

I wished I can tell you more, but I didn't get a chance to play with the camera. It's still in the box as I received it from MaxMax. I just decided DSLR is really not my thing except for really low light situation.

wjlapier

I hear you on the files -- pretty tough to compete with the MF backs and even the lowly, but supremely clean M8 file ;) -- but both of my daughters are playing volleyball and so a relatively fast action, high ISO camera is needed for that, and frankly the net file quality being plastic-like isn't all that bad for this application.
Curiousity got me to look into this thread. I'm not interested in selling my D700, but I will give it a plug for it's handling of high ISO and focus acquisition. I shoot alot of HS sports and the D700/80-200AFS are my favorite combo for indoor sports like basketball and volleyball. Only issue I've run into is AWB with cycling lights. I felt the D2Hs and D300 handled this better. But to me it's a more than fair trade off for clean 4000ISO and almost instant focus acquistion.

Good luck with your search--consider the 80-200AFS over the 70-200AFS. It's a tad faster AF.

woodyspedden

Jack

You may also want to consider the 70-300. It of course is not as fast as the 70-200 but it is smaller and lighter and the IQ is very very nice. It got to the point where I sold my 70-200 and stick with the 70-300 for action shots needing a telephoto. As for the slower lens issue, just crank up the ISO on the camera. Both the D700 and D3 look really good, even at ISO 6400 so lens speed is not the issue it once was.

Anyway, take a look (I'm sure Keeble and Schukat have some in stock)

Best

Woody

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member

Still looking!

Woody, thanks for the input, but I really want either an 80-200 or 70-200 f2.8 VR lens.

kit laughlin

Subscriber Member

Jack, having both those lenses, I honestly think the 80-200/2.8 is slightly better across the frame wide open than the 70–200 VR; stopped down past ƒ4 no difference IMHO. And on either the D3 or D700, I have not needed to rely on the VR. YMMV, of course. cheers
kit

dseelig

HI Jack
Volleyball high school gyms you might want to skip the 24-70 an use primes if you are shooting down low . 35 50 and an 85 depending on where they are. If the gym has a view from up top mostly 200 2.8 or a 135 f2 with an extender is fine. yes I shoot canon 1d mk111. I am getting better results since going to primes on indoor sports and yes I ahve good copies of the 24-70 and 70 200 canons. By he way the last recall on the mk 111 has gotten the best autofocus I have yet seen. David

dseelig

Ps I would not use a 5d mk11 for sports and yes I own one.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Thanks for all the feedback! I have decided to narrow down to the D700.

David, I have shot VB for a while now, and the ideal lens for my uses on full frame is a 50 to 150 f2 zoom, but dang if I can find one! Anyway, agreed on the 24-70, just wanted that to round out the system for other general uses.

So, STILL LOOKING!

Would love an 80-200 VR and maybe a fast 50 and 85 prime too!