The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

WTB - Nikon gear

Terry

I may PM you but I'm back to square 1 sorting out what I am going to shoot with. So, it may take me a bit.

D

ddk

Terry,

No rush, but if you're cool with zoom lenses and starting from scratch my choice would be the Sony, Zeiss AF glass is special, but if you're like me and like your primes then you're stuck with Nikon or Canon. There's also another alternative, though I don't have one yet everything that I've seen posted from the G1 has been very impressive, specially images shot with exotic glass. Combination of still, video and all those wonderful lenses could make this camera the ideal tool for street and travel. I'm waiting for my GH1 and after seeing Jaap's recent posts, the Summilux 24 is at the top of my list.

D

ddk

I just saw your other thread, didn't know that you already have the G1 and the D700. In this case you only need a couple of lenses. Voiglander's 180mm is excellent and very light and compact at the same time, so is the 40mm, very sharp and quite interesting. I have a some older Zeiss Jena zoom lenses 70-300 & 70-210 that are extremely compact yet and have excellent IQ with that Zeiss magic and are regularly available on e-bay at bargain prices. Since we're both in NYC, I could lend them to you if you want to try them out along with the Voigtlanders.

Terry

I just saw your other thread, didn't know that you already have the G1 and the D700. In this case you only need a couple of lenses. Voiglander's 180mm is excellent and very light and compact at the same time, so is the 40mm, very sharp and quite interesting. I have a some older Zeiss Jena zoom lenses 70-300 & 70-210 that are extremely compact yet and have excellent IQ with that Zeiss magic and are regularly available on e-bay at bargain prices. Since we're both in NYC, I could lend them to you if you want to try them out along with the Voigtlanders.
Hi,
I have the Voigtlander 40 and 58. I also have the Nikon 70-300 which people seem to like better than the 70-200 on the D700. So, on Nikon what I really need to add is the 14-24. But, I really should have a back up Nikon body and then I get sort of stumped as the 70-300 is blahhhh on DX.

I really do like my G1 (and probably will sneak it into my gear bag). Before you go with a GH1 24 Lux combo you need to be really careful. The 28 cron has corner problems on the G1 and I think it is similar with other wides. This is counter intuitive because you are using less of the edges of the lens than you would be even on an M8 but Panasonic is doing some in camera corrections to account for their lenses. See Sean's review of the 28 cron G1 combo. Panasonic is coming out with an M mount adapter and I asked them about the wide problem when I was at PMA. The answer I got is if they come out with an adapter for those lenses it will work. So, perhaps their adapter will talk to the camera and take out the correction. Mind you this is PURE SPECULATION but the 24 lux (which I really want for my M8) is pretty expensive relative to the GH1 :eek: and I don't want you to flip out!

D

ddk

Hi,
I have the Voigtlander 40 and 58. I also have the Nikon 70-300 which people seem to like better than the 70-200 on the D700. So, on Nikon what I really need to add is the 14-24. But, I really should have a back up Nikon body and then I get sort of stumped as the 70-300 is blahhhh on DX.
You ought to try one of the Zeiss Jenas in that case. I had the 14-24 for a while but ended up selling it in favor of the 14mm and the Zeiss 25mm. The 14mm and the zoom are on a par sharpness wise but the 14mm has a lot less linear distortion than the zoom @14mm. The Zeiss lens is simply superior at any f-stop and didn't care about in between fl range. This combination is still lighter and more compact than the 14-24. Of course you can also get the 18mm & 21mm Zeiss as well. The 17-35 got the range but not the sharpness, though a lot of people seem to like it but I never warmed up to it, hence the very mint condition, used only 3 or 4 times since new.

I really do like my G1 (and probably will sneak it into my gear bag). Before you go with a GH1 24 Lux combo you need to be really careful. The 28 cron has corner problems on the G1 and I think it is similar with other wides. This is counter intuitive because you are using less of the edges of the lens than you would be even on an M8 but Panasonic is doing some in camera corrections to account for their lenses. See Sean's review of the 28 cron G1 combo. Panasonic is coming out with an M mount adapter and I asked them about the wide problem when I was at PMA. The answer I got is if they come out with an adapter for those lenses it will work. So, perhaps their adapter will talk to the camera and take out the correction. Mind you this is PURE SPECULATION but the 24 lux (which I really want for my M8) is pretty expensive relative to the GH1 :eek: and I don't want you to flip out!
Thanks for the heads up on the G1, what kind of corner problems are we talking about? The main issue with me could be the EVF and I hope to overcome this, I'll see when I get the GH1. The price of the 24 lux isn't a problem is if it works properly on the GH1, bodies come and go but the lenses remain.

The offer to try out any of the lenses is always on the table...

charlesphoto

Terry,

I find the 14-24 to be an amazing lens and one of my most go to lenses at the moment for my editorial work. You really can't go wrong with it, though it is pretty specialized.

CP

kdemas

I sold my 14-24 Nikkor recently as I wasn't using it much but I will tell you it's one beautiful piece of glass. One thing for traveling... the front element is REALLY exposed, would make me a little nervous hauling it around all day.

I can't say enough good things about my 70-200/2.8, fantastic lens. I use it with a 1.7 converter for racing and it still performs very well. When used in this configuration with my D300 it provides some nice reach.

If you change your mind on the G1 you might get the new 7-14mm.

Enjoy the trip :)

Kent