The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

WTB : Gura Gear Bag

Terry

I have one on order but they are delayed a bit. A lot of people here try a lot of bags soooo......

Anyone have one sitting at the bottom of the closet they want to rid themselves of?

Anyone used one and want to comment about likes/dislikes?

D

ddk

I guess I'm among the group that you refer to, I seem to have an abundance of LowePro.Tamrac and Tenba packs along with some of their rolling luggage of various sizes. The GG was the latest addition to the group a few months back. Mine is well use and not for sale but here's a brief plus/minus analysis.

Pros,

Low profile, light weight, seems to pack more gear than equivelant packs from the brands named above.

2 compartment design, it works well for me, I usually carry MF and 35mm systems to most shoots, I can fit each system in its own section.

The pack straps are easy to get at and repack.

Cons,

The bag's padding and shell isn't as thick as the other bags I own and can be a concern under some circumstances, like having to check your bags on some small local carriers. I'm not comfortable with other bags piling on top of it with my gear inside or with the rough handling of baggage crew, I don't think that the equipment would survive either scenario well in this bag.

Two compartment design, the top doesn't remain open like other packs and you have to look around for things when you're in a rush. Its also not good if you want to carry your camera/cameras with the lens attached.

Its easy to overload the bag and make it very heavy since it can acommodate more gear than others of similar size.

Some have complained that the strap system isn't as good as a real heavy duty back pack, which might be true but personally I haven't had any issues with it.

Over all, I like the bag and recommend it, in fact I have a second one on order, but that doesn't mean I can do without others.

Last edited:

Terry

David,

Great info, I am working hard not to put unecessary gear in the bag to fill it and increase the weight. My problem is with the DSLR and micro 4/3 I have a lot of lenses that need to fit and most bags bags don't a decent job on a configuration to handle the number of lenses. On the positive side, the gear for micro 4/3 is incredibly light. My whole m4/3 system weighs less than A900 plus lens.

Last edited:
D

ddk

You'll be happy with this bag Terry, its VERY roomy for a bag of its size and the layout is nice too.

LJL

Terry,
If I recall, Andy said he usually keeps a couple bags on hand in Houston just in case folks need one ASAP. You might try giving him a call. He is a very approachable chap, and if you need something now, he may be able to get one to you quickly, even if the Web site says they are out. Worth the try.

LJ

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
I still think it is too big for your gear. This is a big bag.

I get a lot of stuff in my Think Tank Streetwalker Pro

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
I would be careful with the weight you try to handle. I have been going with two carry on bags to avoid getting overloaded(will not work with the regional jets ). I took the DMR and 4 lenses in one and 2 m8s and 6 lenses in another..plus the macBook. Checked everyting else.

One key question is ...how important is it to have a bag you will work out of...be the bag you travel with. Its a nice system if you are working out of a car. If not ..what you put in the bag is toted by you or left in the hotel.. Both approaches have merit .

I have gone to a standard Patagonia MLC roll bag and a Domke on my shoulder. Wrap all the extra stuff in the rollback like its being shipped(bubble wrap and rubber bands). I think you might be close too making this work.

I have the think tank bags, the kata backpacks etc.....but aren t you taking one A900 maybe 4 lenses and the G1 etc.

ecsh

If you are looking for something for the A900, look at the Sony bag LCS-SC20, it is relatively new. Just got it and on top, it holds the 900 with the 70-300 mounted, below is a spot for three large lens, along with two pockets on either end, and in the back, a removeable rain shield. The bag is pretty discreet as well.
Joe

Scargos2

The Gura bag was developed by Andy Biggs, I did a africa safari with Andy in 2005, anyone who wants to go on a africa Safari should check him out. It is a great PROTOGRAPHY safari. If anyone wants good info, you can contact me about his Safari.
He developed the bag to carry a 500mm lens plus many other lens and cameras.
This is a big and very light bag, his goal was to produce a very light bag and carry a lot of items.

woodyspedden

Terry,
If I recall, Andy said he usually keeps a couple bags on hand in Houston just in case folks need one ASAP. You might try giving him a call. He is a very approachable chap, and if you need something now, he may be able to get one to you quickly, even if the Web site says they are out. Worth the try.

LJ
I know Andy and asked (begged! LOL) him to get me one to use on next weeks workshop with Guy. He said the materials were on back order and that he would not likely have them until close to the end of June. He didn't respond to my plea that if he had one "stashed" to please send it to me. So I think he really is back ordered and we will all just have to wait! ( I believe the wait will be worthwhile)

Woody

Terry

I know Andy and asked (begged! LOL) him to get me one to use on next weeks workshop with Guy. He said the materials were on back order and that he would not likely have them until close to the end of June. He didn't respond to my plea that if he had one "stashed" to please send it to me. So I think he really is back ordered and we will all just have to wait! ( I believe the wait will be worthwhile)

Woody
Woody,
I did the same exact thing :ROTFL: I wrote a message (asking if there was a secret stash or borrow a demo used one) and then left a voicemail. I got a call back this afternoon and couldn't pick up my cell phone as I was on a call with a client. Then I couldn't reach them again.

Guy Mancuso

Geez guys so what the hell are you going to be using to carry your gear next week. The damn mules are spoken for already. I said it 50 times to Terry already THINK TANK Streetwalker Pro. I have my whole MF system in it with room to spare but hey don't listen to me it's okay. Just remember i did not get the slut gear of the year award 4 years running for nothing.:banghead::banghead::banghead:

Try mine next week

cmb_

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Perhaps there is something in the name - Streetwalker Pro - that limits the appeal to some. ;)

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
Perhaps there is something in the name - Streetwalker Pro - that limits the appeal to some. ;)
:ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL:
Charles, you could be onto something.

When I looked up this bag before, it was hard for me to visualize how much gear would fit in it (the pic showed a DSLR with a 400mm lens). Is there room for a laptop, Guy? Does it work on Regional jets?

Last edited:

LJL

I think that ThinkTank named it that, just to entice Guy into buying one....or more ;-)

LJ

(Seriously, they are great bags and I have to agree with Guy, sized to handle the things most folks need to shoot. Andy's bag is a nice build, but I think it is probably more than a bit too big for most applications. I think of it as a minimalist "hauler", and not a bag that one would work out of with anything but a large kit.)

Terry

Charlie, I saw this last night when I was a bit tipsy. I burst out laughing. The reaction didn't change this morning and yes I am sober. Well said. :clap::clap::clap:

Diane B

Charlie, I saw this last night when I was a bit tipsy. I burst out laughing. The reaction didn't change this morning and yes I am sober. Well said. :clap::clap::clap:
I wasn't going to stick my nose into this thread but I read that last night (and I don't think I was tipsy LOL) and just :ROTFL: When they named it one wonders what they were thinking (or drinking--or smoking) :D:D:D

Diane

Guy Mancuso

So you were drinking and arguing with me on this bag, explains a lot now. LOL

Okay now Streetwalker Pro thinking about it may sound like a Pro on the streets begging for money. Well hell how far from the truth is that.:ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL:

No wonder it fits me.

Cindy regional no problem, reason i bought it