The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Ballhead blow out....

Terry

After biting the bullet and buying a cube time to pare back on my ballhead collection.

First up
Gitzo GH2780 - this is part of Gitzo's new line of heads. They hold a tremendous amount of weight for their size. In the spirit of this site, I just bought this head from Guy when I went to Arizona a few weeks ago (he went up one model to hold his MF gear a bit sturdier).

Retails new at B&H for $275 mine has a couple of scrapes but is in perfect working order. It does not have Gitzo's quick release system which is good because some plates don't fit on their system. It does rotate at the bottom and can be used for panos. Shipped including Paypal $200

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/562408-REG/Gitzo_GH2780_GH2780_Center_Ballhead_.html

You can see a small scrape on the knurled edge

Look also where it says tilt there is a scrape there

Next up is a BH-40 from Really Right Stuff. This does have a quick release clamp. This is a great head and is in great shape New it retails for $375. Shipped including Paypal $240 (everything is closed so no can of air to get rid of the dust that shows up in pictures LOL)

D

ddk

You should hold on to one of them Terry, you don't always need the cube. More often than not the lowly ball head will be the more efficient tool!

Terry

You should hold on to one of them Terry, you don't always need the cube. More often than not the lowly ball head will be the more efficient tool!
I did hold on to one more. I have the Gitzo traveler 1550 tripod with a Gitzo 1780 ballhead and an RRS Pano clamp. It will hold all of my current gear. While the Gitzo 2780 is a bigger better head, it doesn't allow the traveller to fold down as nicely. The cube is on my bigger Gitzo 2541 tripod. :D

D

ddk

Sorry, I forgot who I was talking to, are you sure you don't want one Guy's packs?

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Seriously I would go after the Gitzo head . These are not what they used to be and so much better than the past. I'm waiting for Terry to sell me the cube after her Iceland trip.:D

frontosa

Workshop Member
Hi Terry:

If the RRS Ball head is still available, I will buy it for Marielle. Thanks.

Gerry

Terry

The RRS is sold. Lot's of interest!!!!

Now for the Gitzo....Read what Guy has to say about it but

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO he isn't getting my cube!

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
FWIW, the Gitzo Terry is selling is selling is the exact same one I use on my travel pod. Very lightweight and easy to adjust, plus it will hold my MF outfit just fine.