The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

sale protocol

jlm

Workshop Member
i've had a bumpy sale or two using internet communication and payment and could use some advice.

example: 2 pm: I receive an offer for $800 less than my asking, and send back a counteroffer of $400 less, splitting the diff, and telling him to use paypal, but still no response, no payment
3pm: i receive another offer of full price from another buyer who is ready to send funds via paypal
3pm: i tell the second buyer he has the sale, assuming he gets the funds to me asap and send a pm to the first buyer telling him of the second buyer and sale, pending funds transfer

I'm keeping a keen eye on my paypal balance;
did i do this right?

jm

Terry

To me, you are fine. I've had plenty of people asking for pricing and then flaking out and not answering. You have no idea if she/he will accept your price and you have someone ready.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Agreed. You have to get a commitment otherwise you really don't know if folks are just asking or really buying.

Henry Goh

I think one way to do this is to quote a validity period whenever one makes a counter offer. In the case of a forum like ours, I would say "valid for the next 15 mins" or whatever so there's no argument about being fair. Would this work?

180q

As they say....money talks. The first person to send funds gets the sale. There are far too many tire kickers out there who never reply back. This leads to missed opportunities in my book.

-Chad

ecsh

Whoever commits first and is sending the funds get the product. I also hate someone committing, then asking questions.:wtf:

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
I think you did everything correctly. What I have learned is to make the counter offer, but don't give them your Paypal address until you get confirmation back. Too many times in the past I've had the exact thing happen, as happened to you, and I was left wondering if I was going to get a second payment. When you haven't given them your Paypal, you are free to move on if another offer comes in.
I do give people that I'm negotiating with preference if another offer comes in. I try to let them know that I need their commitment right away.

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
You handled this one correctly because you had no agreement or commitment to buy. Two problems I have had though that might be worth mentioning.

1. I have in the past committed to buy at the agreed upon price etc but could not get the paypal address from the individual. A few hours pass nothing. Go out for the evening. Next morning I see the paypal address and pay. The seller sold to another because he didn t get the money that night. No email letting me know anything. I feel once you commit you should be given a reasonable amount of time to pay ..thats different then making an offer as we had a deal just no paypal address.

2. The other issue is asking questions after the commitment. This is sometimes necessary because of the BS with calling equipment mint or LN. Mint or LN means like taking it out of the display case....not something you used for months. I always ask two questions (a) describe anything that would keep you from selling this as new (b) tell me where you got the item and do you have a receipt. I had one recently on a different forum where the lens was described as LN ....it had a dent in the retractable hood! Personally I think it is a problem as anyone that uses their gear doesn t have mint anything .(OK maybe a few on this forum....but thats only if you never really used the item much). So I will make an offer contingent on showing proof of condition or just telling me the flaws . (a second issue is the photographs of the item....can you see the condition of the lens? I can t unless you point out the marks or dust. ) . KEH has an excellent description of conditions ..worth using .

Sorry for taking this off topic but I think the concept of buying blind and only money talks isn t reasonable. Condition affects resale and the fair value. And I think this is quite different than a negotiation or a "I will think about it".

But thats just my 2 cents worth.

Last edited: