The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

FS: 26mm/1.1 Macro Switar collimated for M4/3

C-mount Kern Macro Switar 26mm/1.1, recently CLA’d (cleaned, lubed, adjusted) by Bolex International in Switzerland. They had bought the lens inventory and spare parts from the Kern factory when Kern stopped making lenses in 1991 after being taken over by Leica. At the same time one of their technicians was trained at the Kern factory. Bolex Yverdon is now building and servicing Switars and other Kern cine and still lenses to original specifications.

After their CLA, Bolex gave a 6 months manufacturers warrantee on this lens.

During this CLA, they mounted a new metric distance scale, but the imperial (feet) scale is included as a spare and can be mounted if the user prefers. It was also collimated to focus slightly beyond infinity on the G1 (or any other Micro 4/3 camera). The original H16RX collimation did not reach infinity. The DOF preview lever is of great help in achieving precise focus at full aperture and then closing down the diaphragm to a pre-selected value very fast for taking. The distance scale goes from infinity down to 50cm. , but the lens can be focused below the minimum distance mark down to approx. 25cm (1ft)

Diaphragm, distance ring and DOF preview turn smoothly, glass is perfect. Comes with original sunshade and original front and rear metal lens caps. Only blemish I can see is a small spot of missing black color on the outside of the sunshade, as can be seen on the picture.

I am selling the lens because I also have a Kinoptik 25mm/2 and one of them must go. My type of photography does not need a super fast lens, I am more oriented towards macro and landscape pictures. The new owner will probably make better avail of the potential of this extraordinary lens.

The lens covers Super-16 format, there is slight vignetting in the corners that can be usually corrected in post-processing; at full opening the lens is on the soft side, contrast and sharpness have to be increased in post-processing for best results. From f/2 onwards sharpness increases; best sharpness is achieved between f/4 and f/5.6. Mainly for macro work, the diaphragm can be closed down to f/22

For more details and a picture taken with the lens, have a look at the Dream Service for my Switar thread on the GetDPI 4/3rd forum.

Selling for $1,560 or EUR 1,100 + shipping at cost. Payment by electronic money transfer to my bank acoount or paypal (add $40)