The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Configuring my Mac Pro - Help...

johnastovall

Deceased, but remembered fondly here...
I've finally started to configure my Mac Pro system. Here's what I've got for a base. I plan to add extra memory and drives.

• Two 2.26GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon
  • 6GB (6x1GB)
  • 1TB 7200-rpm Serial ATA 3Gb/s
  • NVIDIA GeForce GT 120 512MB
  • Two 18x SuperDrives
  • Apple Wireless Mighty Mouse
  • Apple Wireless Keyboard (English) and User's Guide
  • AirPort Extreme Wi-Fi Card with 802.11n
  • AppleCare Protection Plan for Mac Pro (w/or w/o Display) - Auto-enroll
I'm not sure about the video card. I plan to start with a single monitor but add a second one later. Monitors I'm looking at are: LaCie 724 LCD Monitor or Eizo ColorEdge CG241W.

What drive should I consider for adding.

Any other things I should add or consider.

Last edited:

TRSmith

Subscriber Member
Congratulations John! Looks like a great machine. Mine has been running like a clock since I received it. I'm sure you'll enjoy its expansion capacity.

I think Guy and Jack are better equipped to comment on drives, etc. but it sounds like you're on the right track there as well.

I will make one comment and it might reflect a personal preference so take it FWIW. It's the wireless keyboard and mouse thing. I just hate that they're battery powered. I have the little metal-backed soft touch keyboard attached via USB and bought myself a great Logitech laser mouse.

The mouse makes such a difference. The one I have is a couple years old now, I think it's called MX Revolution. Great scroll wheel, bunches of programmable buttons, accurate as hell and has a recharging base to set it in when the battery drains. I can't stress enough how much of a difference it has made.

Good luck with your new powerhouse!

Tim

johnastovall

Deceased, but remembered fondly here...
Congratulations John! Looks like a great machine. Mine has been running like a clock since I received it. I'm sure you'll enjoy its expansion capacity.

I think Guy and Jack are better equipped to comment on drives, etc. but it sounds like you're on the right track there as well.

I will make one comment and it might reflect a personal preference so take it FWIW. It's the wireless keyboard and mouse thing. I just hate that they're battery powered. I have the little metal-backed soft touch keyboard attached via USB and bought myself a great Logitech laser mouse.

The mouse makes such a difference. The one I have is a couple years old now, I think it's called MX Revolution. Great scroll wheel, bunches of programmable buttons, accurate as hell and has a recharging base to set it in when the battery drains. I can't stress enough how much of a difference it has made.

Good luck with your new powerhouse!

Tim
I've been using wireless key board and mouse for 4 years on the iMac. I just keep a box of AA lithiums in the desk drawer and have a wired USB Apple keyboard and mouse for if/when I have to run low level diagnostics.

M

meilicke

Hi John,

I just put an intel 25x-m 160gb gen 2 into my mac pro ($450), and it feels much snappier. Like I got a new mac. Not a 10x improvement or anything, bu I no longer wait for much of anything. I was coming from two fast disks striped, so I imagine the difference will be more dramatic comin from a single disk.

Have fun with your new rig!

Scott