The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Questions on Monitors for my New Mac Pro..

johnastovall

Deceased, but remembered fondly here...
Who has used the LaCie 724 Monitor? Has anyone compared it to Eizo CG243W? I have no way to do any of side by side comparison given where I live.

The LaCie looks on paper better 1:1000 contrast, 125% Adobe RGB gamut.

mwalker

Subscriber Member
John I have the Lacie 724. I like it ..I haven't compared it to anything other than the mac monitor to which it is much better IMO. I use a blue eye pro v4 to calibrate it.

Stuart Richardson

There is more going on than just contrast range (which is actually not very important for color managed photography...you are never going to be operating in this range...for example, Eizo´s flagship monitor has a 400:1 contrast range and a 200cd/m brightness). I don't have time to make much of a comment now, but while I think both monitors are probably excellent, I would lean toward the Eizo given my experience with them. It may have lower contrast and a smaller gamut, but I would be wiling to bet it is a better monitor in use and will remain consistent for a longer time -- it has a 5 year warranty versus 3. It is also an IPS monitor versus S-PVA, which generally means it has a better viewing angle, with no color shifts based on viewing angle (S-PVA will shift at different angles, so unless you sit dead-center, you are not working on a calibrated monitor...also, you cannot really have more than one person at a time evaluating, if this is important to you). Anyway, my advice would be to contact someone who sells several types of these monitors, and ask their advice. I would recommend Chromix -- they have always been great to me.