The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Mac pro fan driving me nuts

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Okay my fan must be loose or something . On startup lot's of noise because the fans start up at high speed than it settles down and just a constant low buzz sound. I don't think it is my hard drive now after turning the main drive off and booting from backup drive so looks like I need to open it up and have a look around. I bet something just worked it's way loose

Guy Mancuso

Well opened the MacPro up and turns out it is my ATI 1900 graphics card fan going nuts. I have had some issues with these cards . Last one was dancing ants from the video card. This is my third one. i may ask for a different card altogether. Not happy about this .i think i am still on Apple care also.

Guy Mancuso

Luckily I have the Nividia 7300 that came with it so i can still work but may take a trip to the Apple store today and see if it can get replaced.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
The newer standard 2600 card is pretty decent and not very expensive. The other option is just replace the fan on your video card -- pretty accessible isn't it?

TRSmith

Subscriber Member
For what it's worth, I have the Nvidia Geforce 8800 and it's dead silent. I put in a couple different ATI cards in my old G5 and they always seemed a bit noisy, making up about half of the noise that the box let out during normal operation.

Guy Mancuso

The newer standard 2600 card is pretty decent and not very expensive. The other option is just replace the fan on your video card -- pretty accessible isn't it?
Yea Jack it is actually but i think i am under warranty on this card and see if they will switch to the Nividia or something, might have to pull the really unhappy customer trick:D

Honestly i would like to switch brands on this , 3 times changing out cards is not right. i just read the reviews on it and there not good either , many problems.