The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sandisk 32 GB card(s)

ChrisDauer

Workshop Member
I'm looking to get a 32 GB card and I'm wondering if the 60 MB/s flavor is a waste of money for a 5D2 and a 7D?

I went out to RobG's database but apparently that's not been updated in while (disappointing though to be expected at some time I guess).

I'm not sure if the increased speed w/ help inside the camera. It's almost twice the cost for twice the speed. Realistically though... will it make a different in video or FPS?

Thoughts? Comments? Other?

Thanks!
-C

KETCH ROSSI

The fastest CF available will help and improve your capture speeds for Buffering when you do Burst Mode shoots, especially so with cameras with Higher MP count and High capacity for Burst rate, especially so this has been true for me with the 1D III and 1Ds III.

The other time of the advantage of the fastest CF cards is in the Download/Upload process in to your computer, but only if you do this by e-Sata, as if you use even the fastest current CF reader with FW800 you will not pass the 45MB/s speed.

I have used the 45MB/s Sandisk since they were released and now using the 60MB/s anything faster if you are not using them also for shooting HD video is a waste of money! But I believe that the 300X (45MB/s CF will be more then fast for more situations, again unless you are using a PRO body like the Canon 1D series, and or the Nikon D series with High speed shooting and high Burst rate.

Also remember that bboth Canon 5D II and 7D shoot video in a very Highly compressed MOV. so even here the 60MB/s is just simply too much.

Ciao,

Ketch

LJL

Ketch,
Did you look at the posted times for the various cards in the above link? There are some real advantages for some of the faster cards, both writing to some of the newer cameras that can handle UDMA 6 specs, as well as going from card to computer. FW800 is still not a bad transfer, and the newer EC/34 cards are looking pretty good also. While eSata may have the fastest throughput capabilities, the smaller variety of readers and the required hardware are not always as convenient or portable for lots of users.

LJ

ChrisDauer

Workshop Member
Thanks LJ!!!

That link is great. I see why I didn't find it though. The title doesn't does lead one to believe that "Sandisk" or "Canon 7D" will be likely topics! :p

Still wish he'd update the full database. I'm highly leaning towards the 60MB/s. It gets me functionality now. A little in future proofing. And though it does not provide good cost benefit, it is reasonable; and I can live with that.