The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Which version of windows 7 to get?

DavidL

Before I plunge into upgrading my XP system I was wondering which version of Windows 7 I should be looking at.
Any views appreciated.
David

MrSlezak

Professional seems to be the sweet spot - Microsoft posted a break out of the differences between versions. Compared to VIsta, it seems pretty straightforward this time around (see this).

simonclivehughes

I'm running XP Pro on my Asus Aspire One netbook and I'd like to go to Win7Pro... can this be done as an upgrade or do I need to start with a fresh install? I hate like hell to have to reload everything. Any experience on this?

Cheers,

stephengilbert

Consider the source, but I heard this morning on the radio that if you're not running Vista, you can't upgrade, but have to do a fresh install (or whatever they call in at MS).

jonoslack

Consider the source, but I heard this morning on the radio that if you're not running Vista, you can't upgrade, but have to do a fresh install (or whatever they call in at MS).
HI Stephen
interesting . . . more interesting is whether you can use an upgrade version, or whether you have to buy a new version.

If it's a new one then Microsoft will be punishing all those thousands of users who insisted on sticking with XP . . . that WILL be popular:p

O

Oxide Blu

Win 7 is built on top of Vista. Vista users need only install an upgrade. Win XP users need to do a fresh install, including reformatting of the HDD.

kweide

There is NO Upgrade path from XP to Win 7. It is indeed a new installation. But you can keep your old operating system on HDD if you like.
The only Upgrade path is from Vista but it is a new installtion as well and the good news: Win 7 provides you with a migration tool to migrate your apps to Win 7.
BTW: CS3 works ! LR as well and they are incredible fast on Win 7 ( 64 Bit version ). Love it !