The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Tiger to Snow Leopard- how??

J

jjlphoto

I have an Mac desktop computer, an Intel MacPro 2.66/twin Xeon duals. I purchased it in Aug 2007. It is one of the early 64bit units that unfortunately cannot run in 64 bit mode due to its EFI32 firmware, amongst other things.

Currently running Tiger 10.4.11. There seems to be conflicting information regarding the upgrade path to Snow Leopard. Some tell me I need to first install Leopard, some tell me I can go straight to Snow Leopard and buy just the $29.99 Snow Leopard disk.

Suggestions?

Dale Allyn

Hi John,

I read this page to mean that you (we) are expected to buy the full box ($169). It also states that if you are upgrading from Leopard that it's $29 to do so.

If you could buy an authorized version of Leopard and then upgrade to SL it might be a bit cheaper, but my guess is that those suggesting this path are in some cases circumventing paying full price for he Leopard step, or more likely buying a used version that has already been installed on the buyer's computer (and therefore violating the EULA). I'm not certain about this, of course, just reading and interpreting, as I expect you are too.

Last edited:

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
You can use the $29 version to do this. You might want to read this. I've also done this for my sister's MacBook by doing a clean Snow Leopard install and then restoring settings from her backup.

J

jjlphoto

Did the $29.99 retail Snow Leopard Disk. Worked perfectly.

What I found irritating is that resellers like OWC insist that you cannot install Snow Leopard unless you are already running Leopard. I had a chat with their tech support, and they were pretty adamant on that. They wouldn't relent at all. Strange, because there is no financial incentive to make the purchaser buy Leopard as it is now a legacy product only available on eBay.

I did find a link to an Apple tech doc that did illustrate the pathway direct from Tiger to Snow Leopard, but damned if I can find it now.

Dale Allyn

I'd feel better if I knew Apple's intended EULA for this upgrade. Apple is one of the better companies for still allowing installations of certain products based on trust and not causing users inconvenience by requiring draconian authentications. I'd like that to remain the case. If they're happy with $29, that's great. But if they want $169 for the upgrade, I want to pay it. I don't want people to use my images without mutual agreement, and expect the same when I'm consuming software.

I'm not saying that you or others are in error, John. I don't know. That's the problem. It should be clear. Frankly, I'm glad it worked out for you, and I hope that it fits within Apple's intended upgrade path process. If I opt to upgrade the Tiger Macs here, I'll likely bite the bullet for the full box version unless I can find a statement on the Apple site or via Apple sales that supports the cheaper path. It wouldn't be an issue to me if the upgrade path page on their site didn't state that the box version is required. Maybe it's just them not wanting to guarantee a smooth transition (anticipating support issues). It should be made more clear.

Cheers,

Dale

J

jjlphoto

I also read quite a few threads abouit this on the Apple Discussions fourms, and there is nothing in the Apple EULA that indicates doing such is in violation of their EULA. Apple hints that using the $169 box set is suggested, but the only difference is that the $169 set has all iWork, and etc., stuff.

I think the lynch pin is that since Apple no longer sells Leopard, they cannot legally require you to install it first. Otherwise, all those Tiger machines would be orphaned, and I believe that violates some sort of consumer protection regs.

If you want to find that Apple Doc to satisfy your concerns, spend some time on the Apple Discussion Forums. I believe that is where I found the link. But there are a lot of threads, and I did invest way too much time wading through them, I just am not wanting to do it again, as I myself am satisfied.

Dale Allyn

John, no worries here, nor judgement. Sorry if I implied some sort of judgement, that wasn't intended. I was just thinking aloud, and partly expressing my frustration with feeling the need to research this as you have done. I've read many threads as well, and since Apple makes no statement to suggest that the EULA is being stepped on I suspect that all is well.

I suspect that the updates for the other apps will make it worthwhile for me (at least on one machine), though I rarely use iWork, and never touch many of the others. Still, it's handy to have up-to-date versions at times. I have moved from "early adopter" to the position of "last possible adopter" these days. I don't like change, especially forced change, so make the changes based on the requirements and compatibilities of my peripherals. I've enjoyed the discussions around this topic though, and appreciate that many folks were attempting to work within the proper EULA guideposts.

I would have preferred a: "You can install the simple update on your Tiger machine at your own risk, but we don't support it. For a smoother experience and support we recommend the full-box install on OS's prior to Leopard." At least, that's how I'd do it. That way, those of us who like a minimalist approach and self-reliance can comfortably go that route and not feel like we may be "cheating". I know that you researched this well, but I simply feel that you shouldn't have had to.

Cheers,

Dale

Last edited: