The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Promising rolling travel bag

Terry

As many around here know, over the past several months I've had a severe case of G.A.S. and it has been lots of fun. Now on the eve of leaving for Carmel the question was how to get it all there in this era of air travel.

When shooting, I like to head out light with the smallest practical bag. However, my laptop and other stuff that I would want to carry on the plane won't fit into the shooting bag. One choice was a simple rolling suitcase and just throw in my computer and camera bag along with a few other things. But, before going that route, I decided to head to the scene of many of my previous G.A.S. attacks. I think I found a great bag and as I've been getting myself packed up, I thought I would share a couple of pictures.

I plan on packing my day shooting bag flat in my regular suitcase. I use a Domke J803 which was a great find by Jack.

The new bag is by Pelican and I will add a link at the bottom. Cost $134.50

Here is the open bag with:
M8 + 50 Lux
M8 + 90 Summarit
CV 12 and CV 75 back to back with glued end caps
35 cron
21 elmarit
28 cron
D300 with 50 f1.8
Leica Flash
Ball head for tripod
Big open space for 70-300 lens arriving tomorrow
Other open space for wide/normal zoom

Plenty of space on the other side for SD cards filters etc.

View attachment 2798

The entire padded compartment has handles on each end and can be lifted out like a tray and voila this is now like a regular suitcase. If I just had the M8's or the Nikon system alone, I may have left everything in the shooting bag and simply popped that into here.

View attachment 2800

Padded laptop space on front of bag. Easy fast access for airport screening.

View attachment 2801

Extra space on front for cellphone/wallet etc.

View attachment 2802

Finally there are straps on the side to securely hold a tripod and a pocket in back that came with a rain cover for the whole bag.
This bag is small enough that there should not be a problem in any regular airplane. It would probably still be a problem on small regional jets. where the overhead bins don't hold much of anything.

http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1315

If the bag exceeds or doesn't live up to expectations I will add to this post when I return from Carmel.

Last edited:

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Lovely but you just jumped into the real world of carrying crap and loads of it, welcome to my world now. Let the good times roll. LOL

Terry

Hey,
My life is full of extremes. When I go out shooting for the day in NY it is one body with one lens either 28 or 50 no bag or extra gear.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Nice bag Terry! I may order one, though assume you will have it in Carmel for us to inspect???

Terry

Yes,
You will get a chance to check it out. I found it very well thought out and nicely executed at a surprisingly low price. There is an olive and tan version that is quite nice that my salesman preferred but the black better matches my wardrobe and the bright blue is a nice cheerful accent. LOL

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
that looks like some nice apples on that muslin

Actually that bag looks exactly like what I have been looking
for.
perhaps we should just all meet at b&h when in NYC.
-bob

Last edited:

TRSmith

Subscriber Member
I'm going to have to work up to deserving a bag with that capacity. It's good to have goals. :)

But the whole bag thing is amazingly addictive. Here's my latest new favorite for traveling/working while keeping it pretty minimal. It The Sinking Barge back pack by Crumpler. Holds the 15" securely, plenty of room for the M8 with lens mounted plus at least 2 more lenses in a special compartment on the front of the bag. Kind of a built in camera bag attached to a laptop bag. Wicked comfortable straps, and believe it or not, when you set it on the ground, it stands up! Very nice for shuffling through boarding lines.

Excuse the pics, they're from my Nikon 990, which hasn't seen a battery in about 3 years.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
that looks like some nice apples on that muslin

Actually that bag looks exactly like what I have been looking
for.
perhaps we should just all meet at b&h when in NYC.
-bob
Meet at B&H , you know how dangerous that place is. Hell i put a timer on myself when I go in there. That store is a gear junkie's dream come true

Terry

Terry:

What is the verdict now that you have travelled with it?

Robert
I really enjoyed travelling with it. Probably will take it whenever I am taking a laptop. Easy to organize my stuff. I'm probably more paranoid than most but won't leave my stuff in the hotel so it was nice to be able to put the bag in the trunk of the car when out shooting. I carried a small bag on my shoulder to hold lenses when shooting.