The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Stiff Arca ballhead

Robert Campbell

Hi

I've an Arca B1 ballhead. It's become very stiff, specially after locking and then releasing the ball. I've tried cleaning with alcohol as per the destructions, but to no avail. It says not to use any lubrication.

What can I do more? Any ideas?

TIA

Last edited:

fotoism

I had the same thing when I first got my B1 and I was worried it was defective.

What I found out later is that after I released the knob I had to push the ball 90 degrees into the side groove, pull it up, and repeat a few times. After several rocking motions like that the ball works loose to whatever friction setting it was set to before.

fotoism

Did you set tension ( the tiny wheel in the big knob ) to a higher setting? I set mine almost to none.

Lars

Clean the ball, is what AS says.

I've had good luck with rubbing the ball with a candle to lubricate it.

What I've found works best is to sell the darn thing.

O

Oxide Blu

For as much as those things cost I'd be talking to AS about how to make it work smoothly again. If that fails, consider Lars' advice -- sell it.