The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

IPad Discussions

jonoslack

Other than the fact that you will run out of space - quickly :ROTFL:
How do you know how much space I'll have on my ipad:ROTFL:

seems like the trick to performance is in the way the memory is hooked up.... still it doesn't mean it can do RAW... your basic macbook pro struggles with RAW

http://www.appleinsider.com/article...es_ipad_2x_as_fast_at_apps_as_iphone_3gs.html
Well - can the iPad do raw? or can't it?
as for MBP and raw, due to a serious main board problem I've spent the last week with Aperture3 and a 13"MBP, and it's actually performed really well (i.e. not at all irritating).

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
How do you know how much space I'll have on my ipad:ROTFL:

Well - can the iPad do raw? or can't it?
as for MBP and raw, due to a serious main board problem I've spent the last week with Aperture3 and a 13"MBP, and it's actually performed really well (i.e. not at all irritating).
Jono,

I bought a 64gb iPad for my wife yesterday...it will return tonight or tomorrow.

Interesting device...very fast great for books and browsing the web but....

1) No printing.

2) Single user...no ability to share while traveling with respect to profiles.

3) iPad Works not file level compatible with Mac Works or Word....will save a file but the formatting is lost...:angry:

Will be bringing home a 13 Macbook Pro for travel. Just too many compromises but #1 is a deal breaker.

Bob

jonoslack

Jono,

I bought a 64gb iPad for my wife yesterday...it will return tonight or tomorrow.

Interesting device...very fast great for books and browsing the web but....

1) No printing.

2) Single user...no ability to share while traveling with respect to profiles.

3) iPad Works not file level compatible with Mac Works or Word....will save a file but the formatting is lost...:angry:

Will be bringing home a 13 Macbook Pro for travel. Just too many compromises but #1 is a deal breaker.

Bob
Hi Bob
Printing?
as for 3) does that mean that a pages document in iWork for ipad will not be formatted if you send it to your mac? That sounds like a bug rather than a feature, and something that would be fixed. Not sure that I understand 2).

sorry it left you unhappy . . .

all the best

docmoore

Not sure its a bug...on the Apple support forums it was pointed out that Apple is aware of this and expects users to deal with it at this point.

Let me suggest that if you need an electronic reader and web browser...do not expect to save a lot of stuff or print...it is amazing.

Just not for me at this time.

Bob

docmoore

I missed #2....only one person can sync iTunes...not like a powerbook where you can log in multiple users who have their own preferences and email profiles.

So everybody needs an iPad...great marketing.

Bob

Terry

Of course but I feel this is a kludge and should be a system level process.

Thanks,

Bob
I guess I'm sort of immune from printing so it never bothered me with iPhone and now I haven't worried about it with the iPad. These days the only thing I seem to print are airline boarding passes and photos. However, in many cases I've stopped printing boarding passes in advance as the kiosks at the airport generally don't have lines.

The iPad for me isn't replacing a laptop although it will alter what I buy in laptops for the future. From this point forward I will only travel with a laptop on dedicated photo trips. All other trips will be with only the iPad. Yesterday I had both my 13" MBP and iPad with me on my way back to SF. There is still a significant difference in size between these two devices.

One of the best kept secrets on the iPad and I phone are the screen prints. If you've got something on the screen that you really don't want to lose, touch the home and on/off button at the same time and the device does a screen capture. I've used this a lot.

kevinparis

Bob

the ipad is a personal device... just like the ipod and the iphone - if you want multiuser then a macbook is what you need

you wouldn't share your phone... so why would you share your ipad

anyway... thought you said you bought it for the wife :)

K

Last edited:

cam

I missed #2....only one person can sync iTunes...not like a powerbook where you can log in multiple users who have their own preferences and email profiles.

So everybody needs an iPad...great marketing.
to me, this is what makes it so brilliant!

i bought a MacBook Air for my parents and they still don't know how to use it... my step-dad has kind of mastered the iPhone, but i don't think he's ever understand switching user accounts... i was trying to work out (long distance) how i could them to use it...

and then it hit me -- if i want them each to be able to check email with no confusion, the iPad is brilliant!

you can poo-poo it all you want, but simplicity can be mighty powerful.

docmoore

Bob

the ipad is a personal device... just like the ipod and the iphone - if you want multiuser then a macbook is what you need

you wouldn't share your phone... so why would you share your ipad

K
Completely correct which is why I have restored the puppy to factory status.

Two iPhones and two iPads make little sense...I am one of the few who do enjoy reading Kindle on the iPhone.

Wish I had known this Saturday morning...would save me a trip...but I guess it will give me a reason to grab a 13 macbook pro.

Bob

docmoore

These days the only thing I seem to print are airline boarding passes and photos.
Boarding passes and a huge amount of email that requires written snail mail response for my wife require a significant print output for us.

Not a great deal as I discovered the Kindle reader for the iPhone while researching this and love it.

Thanks for the screen print tip....will put it to major use.

Bob

docmoore

to me, this is what makes it so brilliant!

i bought a MacBook Air for my parents and they still don't know how to use it... my step-dad has kind of mastered the iPhone, but i don't think he's ever understand switching user accounts... i was trying to work out (long distance) how i could them to use it...

and then it hit me -- if i want them each to be able to check email with no confusion, the iPad is brilliant!

you can poo-poo it all you want, but simplicity can be mighty powerful.
Same problem here with parents in law....small town with little technical experience. I will probably give them a netbook as separating their accounts will keep them sane.

Dont get me wrong...it works for many is brilliant marketing ( you need two not one! ) and will sell in multiple iterations...each upgrade necessitating a
new capital infusion.

I do love it...just cant ride at the present time.

Bob

cam

Same problem here with parents in law....small town with little technical experience. I will probably give them a netbook as separating their accounts will keep them sane.
Bob,

your in-laws sound more sophisticated... a netbook would confuse them to hell (as does the Air) as they'd never understand separate accounts... for the same amount of money, i can get them each their own iPad and show them how to hit the email icon.

web browsing, i'm afraid, may never come to pass...