The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

IPad Discussions

jonoslack

Now the ultimate geek answer here is have a IMac in the house and than all three Ipad users can use that as the central brains of it all. This does not count me but since i am here i have the computer so the Imac is really not needed but I'm just talking a typical family on how they could actually work it all out between people and also some don't need 3g either. Certainly in my case little Jack wifi only, Cali Wifi and Nancy could get by without it but buy a 3g unit in case
HI Guy
That's what we have - it's mostly used for watching TV and videos and BBC iplayer, but each family member has a login, and of course, you could then use this to backup your ipad, print from it etc.
If you let your kids print to your printer you're a kinder daddy than me!
all the best

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Yea I have believe it or not a Dell laser printer that everyone prints to in my office. I charge them fee's though. LOL

Guy Mancuso

Yes they do . I have a Airport Extreme and printer connected directly to it via USB so any computer in the wireless network can print directly to me in the office. I'm the only computer actually hard wired to the router.

What I would like to see on the Iphone and Ipad in e-mail is the ability to print via the wireless network. Now that would be a great function

Terry

Yes they do . I have a Airport Extreme and printer connected directly to it via USB so any computer in the wireless network can print directly to me in the office. I'm the only computer actually hard wired to the router.

What I would like to see on the Iphone and Ipad in e-mail is the ability to print via the wireless network. Now that would be a great function
The ability to print would be great. I have actually have a Bluetooth printer and I would just need to be reasonably close to it. Although it seems like the only things I print are boarding passes and movie tickets.

Guy Mancuso

Just think though your on the road and your in a hotel and you can get a e-mail and print it out or actually print that boarding pass easily without going through all the hoopla with the business center. Be very functional for sure, why it's not there is interesting to begin with. Seems very simple to add a print function if it sees a wireless network with a printer attached. Hmmmm

Damn I wish i wrote software. Be a rich guy

Lars

Keep in mind that this is powered by a CPU that is an evolution from phone CPUs - possibly still slower than a single-core Atom. Expect performance accordingly. Probably not a good imaging platform if you're used to Core 2 Duos.

stephengilbert

"Probably not a good imaging platform if you're used to Core 2 Duos." And probably not big enough to put a modem on top like a Mac Pro.

Guy Mancuso

From Macrumors

Bright Side of News claims to have information on Apple's "A4" chip unveiled as the brains behind the company's new iPad tablet device. Unsurprisingly, the CPU included in the chip is said to be based on the ARM Cortex A9 licensed by Apple and implemented by its team of chip designers acquired as part of its 2008 purchase of P.A. Semi.

While it should be no surprise that the Apple A4 processor is based on the ARM Cortex A9 design which will begin shipping to many manufacturers this year, the article incorrectly states that the Qualcomm Snapdragon and nVidia Tegra were also based on this design. Those processors were based on the Cortex A8 -- the same processor design found in the iPhone 3GS. This new potentially multi-core processor has only recently been introduced in the Tegra 2 first demoed at CES 2010.

The site also makes a dubious claim that Apple is using the ARM Mali 50-Series GPU for its graphics hardware which would represent a departure (and potential downgrade) for Apple from the PowerVR chips that they've used in the past. Apple is a licensee and major stakeholder in Imagination Technologies, the company behind the PowerVR chipset.

Amongst the varied reactions to the Apple iPad, one common impression has been the notable speed increase of the device compared to the existing iPhone and iPod Touch. We would expect Apple to adapt the A4 design into the next generation iPhone which is expected later this year.

Guy Mancuso

BTW I went to the At&T store and they did mention a new Iphone in June. I'm also eligible for it so I will give my 3gs to my daughter as we could not upgrade her today to the 3gS from the 3g.

O

Oxide Blu

Keep in mind that this is powered by a CPU that is an evolution from phone CPUs - possibly still slower than a single-core Atom.

Maybe I am wrong, but I thought the Ipad was powered by a new CPU designed in-house by Apple using the resources acquired from a microprocessor company Apple bought a couple of years ago. That company (name?) specialized in designing secure systems for the Department of Defense. Apple bought the company for the CPU micro-p design technology, basically shut down the rest of the company. Caused some concern with the DoD. No idea what powers the iPhone.

???

monza

I still haven't found a reason for the iPad, for me. I'm sure it will fill a need for others, but an iPhone and a MBP (with a speedy SSD) is a difficult thing to beat. Don't really need anything in between.

tom in mpls

I still haven't found a reason for the iPad, for me. I'm sure it will fill a need for others, but an iPhone and a MBP (with a speedy SSD) is a difficult thing to beat. Don't really need anything in between.
I agree that it's not better for you. We (photo, video, and other heavy CPU and memory users) are better served with a fast computer. That isn't going to be Apple's market. It will be for the many, many users who need light computing and web/email access only. I think it will prove a hit with many business travelers for whom it will be enough computer and for whom the size, weight, and battery life will be greatly appreciated.

jonoslack

I agree that it's not better for you. We (photo, video, and other heavy CPU and memory users) are better served with a fast computer. That isn't going to be Apple's market. It will be for the many, many users who need light computing and web/email access only. I think it will prove a hit with many business travelers for whom it will be enough computer and for whom the size, weight, and battery life will be greatly appreciated.
Hi Tom
It rather depends - I travel a lot, and I need screen real estate and power - so it's a 17"mbp, the smaller macbooks don't do the business. This means that if I'm on a plane, in a bar, restaurant or whatever, the MBP is too big, and an ipad will be great for those other jobs one has to do (read email / books / web / etc.), and for which the iphone is a bit small.

I think there will be plenty of power users for whom it's going to be a godsend - of course, if you're travelling with an iphone and a 13" macbook it's not going to be so necessary.

I think the point is that it was never meant to be a macbook replacement for anyone - something inbetween, and if you don't need anything in between, then of course, you don't need it!

Here is an article on Stephen Fry's blog - not sure if he's known in the States, but he's certainly a big cheese over here:
Stephen Fry's ipad blog
Whether you agree with him or not, it's certainly an interesting read.

Last edited: