The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

IPad Discussions

O

Oxide Blu

The iPad could be a great way to accept credit cards in the field, specifically at shows, via Paypal.
Have you been to a Apple store lately. ... They use a Itouch custom built for credit card orders. It's pretty dang slick too.
You probably don't know this but that is exactly what the ipad does; a hand-held, touch screen, mobile computing thingy that swipes cards, facilitates fiscal transactions, does inventory verification and a crap load of other stuff useful to retailing. That would be the currently available ipad -- the one made by Fujitsu, not the soon to be available ipad from Apple. Also the reason why Fujitsu and Apple are headed into court -- over the name "ipad".

Fujitsu has been selling their ipads for the last 8-years.

O

Oxide Blu

From Macrumors. ...

As for Adobe, Jobs said they are lazy and Jobs blames Adobe for a buggy implementation of Flash on the Mac as one of the reasons they won't support it.
Apple does not support Flash because it is so buggy, he says. Whenever a Mac crashes more often than not it’s because of Flash. No one will be using Flash, he says. The world is moving to HTML5.

I have been following this for its entertainment value -- two CEOs (Apple and Adobe) poking sharp sticks at each other. :D What I am beginning to understand is that Apple is probably avoiding Flash because they cannot control the user content delivered through Flash. Apple makes money by controlling content, like movies and music bought from iTunes. Those same movies and music can be played via Flash without having to toss coins into Apple's purse.

stephengilbert

I can play music on my iPod without tossing any money to Jobs. Currently I have 802 songs in my iTunes music folder, of which two were purchased from the iTunes store. The rest came from CDs, some of which I've owned for years. Just like you can load books on your Kindle without buying them from Amazon, you can load music on your iPod.

O

Oxide Blu

I can play music on my iPod without tossing any money to Jobs. Currently I have 802 songs in my iTunes music folder, of which two were purchased from the iTunes store. The rest came from CDs, some of which I've owned for years.
Can you download audio and/or video content from the web to your ipod without going through iTunes?

I don't have and won't have an ipod simply because it does not support FLAC compression. My preference are the Cowon products (Korean). They support a smorgasbord of compression algorithms -- have excellent audio reproduction.

My audio library consists of 10's of thousands of songs, almost entirely from CDs I've collected over the years. Media Monkey (freeware) is an outstanding application for managing large audio libraries. The search and sort functions are good and they are fast. MM will rip, play, and author a variety of audio formats, including vorbis and FLAC, except MP3. MP3 authoring requires a license -- $30. For the last couple of years MM has been available for Apple platforms.

stephengilbert

"Can you download audio and/or video content from the web to your ipod without going through iTunes?"

Don't know. iTunes is free and works well enough for me. Not sharing your apparent aversion to all things Apple, and not having wanted to do anything I can't do with iTunes, I haven't tried.

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
I have been following this for its entertainment value -- two CEOs (Apple and Adobe) poking sharp sticks at each other. :D What I am beginning to understand is that Apple is probably avoiding Flash because they cannot control the user content delivered through Flash. Apple makes money by controlling content, like movies and music bought from iTunes. Those same movies and music can be played via Flash without having to toss coins into Apple's purse.
LOL
In the internet standards circle "Flash" is known as the "F-word".
Proprietary, non-standards conformant junk, just a shade worse than dng.
-bob

Dale Allyn

Generally speaking, I despise Flash as it is typically used in web development (there are exceptions). It's an important (and unfortunate) element of displaying video in the current prevalent environment, and provides some tools of convenience at times (most of which can and should be offered in alternative forms), but it's over-used to the point of excess IMO. Nothing drives me off of a site faster than to meet with unnecessary flash-bloated pages.

kevinparis

re Flash

my former boss, an American who had to cope with 2 scotsmen for many years sent me this quote last night

"It’s true that there’s a lot of Flash content out there. But Flash – see Adobe's reaction to the lack of Flash support on iPad here – is in no way part of the true language of the Internet. It’s Scottish-accented English. Sometimes it makes the language more colorful and entertaining, and sometimes it just renders it into unintelligible mush." ANDY IHNATKO

Made me smile

K

Lars

One of my clients in Stockholm has a Scottish employee - who's anything but flashy though.

J

jamie123

re Flash

my former boss, an American who had to cope with 2 scotsmen for many years sent me this quote last night

"It’s true that there’s a lot of Flash content out there. But Flash – see Adobe's reaction to the lack of Flash support on iPad here – is in no way part of the true language of the Internet. It’s Scottish-accented English. Sometimes it makes the language more colorful and entertaining, and sometimes it just renders it into unintelligible mush." ANDY IHNATKO

Made me smile

K
I'd say it's more like American-accented English. We're all pretty used to it and most of the time it's ok but when it comes on too strong it can often be obnoxious and tacky. And the people who use it can have a tendency to exaggerate. Still, you might have a hard time going through the world without understanding American-accented English.

I don't know what the "true language" of the internet is but I know that it's pretty damn annoying to browse the internet without Flash. Most of the photographer's websites I have bookmarked are Flash based (livebooks etc.), most clothing companies have Flash websites, most web based games (tetris, pool, etc...the fun stuff to pass the time) are in Flash and the list goes on and on.
Whether I like Flash or not, I need it to access about 50% of the websites I visit daily. Without Flash browsing the internet on the iPad seems to be more restrictive than browsing the internet in China.

monza

On the other hand, I use ClickToFlash with Safari on the Mac. This way *no* flash code runs unless I want it to. The vast majority I never enable. ;)

H

hellcreig

Hi all.
Could you use it as a mobile phone? Well, maybe. If you buy the additional functionality and (yet another) phone contract. But again, it's too big and clumsy to use simply as a phone replacement.

O

Oxide Blu

Hi all.
Could you use it as a mobile phone? Well, maybe. If you buy the additional functionality and (yet another) phone contract. But again, it's too big and clumsy to use simply as a phone replacement.
Welcome to the forum, hellcreig.

In general, voice over "phones" is becoming more and more insignificant. Data transfer is were the big money is. That iPad critter thingy is designed to use cell phone technology to transfer data (music, movies, applications, etc). Sure, it can do voice, too, but it is not necessary to pay the big bucks for wireless "voice".

Lars

Price point for Android-based 5 to 7 inch tablets seems to come in lower than I expected - $100 to $150 was mentioned today.