The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

IPad Discussions

Terry

:mad:
We have to wait until the end of April over here, and then we still don't get 'ibooks'
grumble grumble.
There is a kindle app for the iPad - do you have books through Amazon in the UK?

There are a ton of public domain books that they are going to make available so perhaps you will have the iBookstore for these - although not sure if you want to go back and read some of the classic novels.

Diane B

I wonder if they will have Stanza app available for Ipad. I understand it has been bought by Amazon and looks much like the Kindle app (though I like it a bit better). If so--you can buy other ebooks available through other sellers and read on Touch and Iphone. You need to order/download through computer, then they have a PC and Mac software that allows you to move to Touch (I haven't tried it yet to be truthful--have only dled classics and public domain ebooks to try the app). If so, that might be something useful.

I will say one of my favorite apps for the Iphone/Touch is the Pandora app. I listen with a net radio to Pandora in one room, but found with the app I can listen to Pandora with the Touch by using either a cable (RCA or other) to radios, sound system, powered speakers, etc. It opened that up for use up by the pool, anywhere in the house, anywhere I have wifi (I have Touch).

Diane

jonoslack

Diane, Terry
thank you - I was reading about the kindle app - they've not been around too long here (I have a Sony book reader). I just fancied books . . . . . on the other hand, when do I get time to read:wtf:

cam

Greetings from the iPad.:salute::thumbup:
LOL!!! i was just asking K if he thought you got yours by now!

i must have been reading your mind :p

(someone who wants to inherit you hand me down, if only i can find a pack-mule)

ooh, my bad -- CONGRATULATIONS!!!

stephengilbert

Terry,

Was the UPS guy late? I thought we'd hear from you this morning. Great move traveling to the east coast for that three hour head start. All the kids here in California must be very jealous.

Steve

Diane B

Greetings from the iPad.:salute::thumbup:
AND???? ;);)

Watched an unboxing on YOutube last night (think it was Stephen Fry) and saw that you get no ear buds. So--I guess you have to buy a set with a mic to use phone, other apps???

How 'fun' is it?? :D

Diane

Terry

The screen is AMAZING!!!
TV and movies look fabulous.

Stephen, I reserved one at the local store here. very organized.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
I sent this in a e-mail to Terry after she got her Ipad

Greetings and congrats. Now you need to on every hour for the next 10 hours of battery life get up stretch your neck and walk around or i am calling a chiropractor for you . LOL

Have fun. LOL

ustein

Contributing Editor
Terry, you are fast. I live in a smaller town. Also not sure the UPS tracking is correct. Shows of from Oakland.

>it has a home with a friend.

What location?

Last edited:

stephengilbert

Now for a little bad news. I just got an email from a friend who bought an iPad to use on an upcoming trip. When he tried to set it up, he discovered that you can't set up your iPad unless you're running Snow Leopard. (Mac requirement: "Mac OS X v10.5.8 or later.") Apparently his home Mac is too old to run 10.5.8.

So much for the computer for people who don't want to use a computer. You can use the iPad, but you'll need one of those outdated things to set it up.

Terry

Now for a little bad news. I just got an email from a friend who bought an iPad to use on an upcoming trip. When he tried to set it up, he discovered that you can't set up your iPad unless you're running Snow Leopard. (Mac requirement: "Mac OS X v10.5.8 or later.") Apparently his home Mac is too old to run 10.5.8.

So much for the computer for people who don't want to use a computer. You can use the iPad, but you'll need one of those outdated things to set it up.
Can he get to an Apple store. They were setting them up for people right in the store. It takes a couple of seconds. I think what you really need is iTunes 9. Ipad can be used by a windows user as well.

Diane B

I bet so too-- that all it needs is Itunes 9.1. I tried inadvertently to DL
an Ipad app last night (PC) and got a message that I needed Itunes 9.1.
Usually with an Itunes upgrade you don't have to go through a DL and install
but had to do that with 9.1. (I don't have an Ipad--just covet a bit and will
wait a bit).

There was a very good article this afternoon on it replacing a laptop for medium productivity. He had written the article on it wtb $69 Bluetooth keyboard using new app Page--think article was in Wall Street Journal

Edit: sorry for formatting and typos. Seat from Touch

Terry

Apps that have been built/rebuilt specifically for the ipad are fantastic and this screen size just opens up a whole new realm of using the Web. The interaction is just different than moving a mouse around. Much better than the iPhone.