The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

IPad Discussions

T

tokengirl

When it was first announced, I was more focused on what it won't do/what I wish it would do. Now I am starting to think about all the things I could do with it and how it could make my life easier.

I am never an early adopter of anything new, I always seem to wait a few months for the crash test dummies to report their findings and the kinks to be worked out. I finally got an iPhone about 3 months ago. But this iPad thingy is already starting to become irresistible. :toocool:

monza

One thing to not worry about is the lack of multitasking. I'm sure it will come in time, but the iPad is so quick it's not a big inconvenience to switch apps.

D

DougDolde

I spend a half hour trying one out at Best Buy today. They had a lot in stock even mid afternoon except for the 16gb model. It is indeed a lot like a big iPhone and is smaller than I thought it would be. I did like it a lot, very good quality and fun. Not that I need one but it's tempting for sure.

But it seems pointless to buy one with no 3G on it. The Best Buy guys said the 3G model will come on April 12.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Has anyone found a PDF viewer that doesn't crash? Every one I've tried has been very flaky and either crashes immediately with any decent sized file or blows up on upload of files.

Big deal for me as I hope to leverage this as a portable doc library.

Had a few crashes so far with 3rd party apps - seems like some aren't well tested yet.

I ordered the 3G version and am waiting patiently for that. In the meantime my Apple "dealer" played a cruel trick on me this morning and offered me a 64gb WiFi version he had on hold for me! Suffice to say this puppies mine too.

Forums are a dream to view on the iPad vs iPhone. Great screen!

monza

I use Dropbox to store PDFs, it will also display them. But the app is not set up for the iPad yet, seeing some weird display issues.

ustein

Contributing Editor
Has anyone found a PDF viewer that doesn't crash? Every one I've tried has been very flaky and either crashes immediately with any decent sized file or blows up on upload of files.

Big deal for me as I hope to leverage this as a portable doc library.

Had a few crashes so far with 3rd party apps - seems like some aren't well tested yet.

I ordered the 3G version and am waiting patiently for that. In the meantime my Apple "dealer" played a cruel trick on me this morning and offered me a 64gb WiFi version he had on hold for me! Suffice to say this puppies mine too.

Forums are a dream to view on the iPad vs iPhone. Great screen!
Looks like Goodreader $0.99 is doing a good job. I sell e-books as PDF so it is very important to me.

Tested briefly a 200 pages (complex layout) and 600 pages (medium complex layout) and they worked at first sight. Reading is very good. Goodreader even unzips files (I deliver as ZIP).

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Looks like Goodreader $0.99 is doing a good job. I sell e-books as PDF so it is very important to me.

Tested briefly a 200 pages (complex layout) and 600 pages (medium complex layout) and they worked at first sight. Reading is very good. Goodreader even unzips files (I deliver as ZIP).
A second on Goodreader...seems the best on iPhone.

Bob

Terry

Waiting for you in this thread. Could not imagine you not getting one at launch time. Brad has the cooles toy closet bar none!

Last edited:

Terry

Also, for sharing docs with your desktop Gizmodo recommends Ait Share HD. So, you cN give that a try for PDF's

bradhusick

Did you read Stephen Fry's review? I thought that was the only sad thing. .. Douglas Adams should be here to play :cry:
Yes, I did. It's sad that Douglas isn't here to see it. I met him years ago and he signed my copy of the collection. I will never sell that.

I think Apple should have made a deal to include The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy rather than Winnie the Pooh bundled on the iPad. Douglas would have loved that.

Terry

I actually thought Winnie the Pooh was sort of brilliant to:

a) show this can work with Illustrated children's books
b) het kids hooked inthe ipad early on.