The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

IPad Discussions

jonoslack

Makes me wonder how much local conditions play into Apple's design decisions. While we in northern Europe like to enjoy the outdoors as much as possible when it's sunny, in Cupertino it's more the opposite - the sun is too strong to be enjoyed casually for extended periods. I'm sure this played into Apple's decision to make an indoors device.
Nah - surely not. I like reading in the sun, but there was no possible way that Apple could have incorporated an electronic ink screen in an ipad and still provide content for magazines / email etc. They used the best screen for the job (and I'm sure it'll be fine outdoors in the shade).

Diane B

I was near BB this afternoon so dropped in to play. They had 4 or more tethered but with lots of apps (several pages), including Ibook and 4 or 5 books to try (I would have loved to read a newspaper with it, but no apps for any). I tried most everything to get a feel for it--loved reading with it, video, the few games I played (I'm not much of a gamer), other apps. I even came to getdpi on Safari--how nice to view (I sometimes read/post with Touch LOL). Good experience for me--and I'm sure I'll get one at some point. I spent 20 minutes to 1/2 hour with it so it wasn't just a quick pick up. The only thing I noticed was that it seemed to be getting heavy at the end, but then I won't be reading standing at a table, will I LOLOL.

Thumbs up--but I'll still wait a bit--maybe even until gen2. They told me that they only had 64GB left but had a lot of people waiting for 3G version.

monza

If you try and replace the 3G component with MiFi from Verizon or Sprint (MiFi or 4G if lucky) the cost is double $60/month and with a 5gb limit - (1.2 HD movies will use it all up - 4G has no limit but is very limited in availability).
If you buy a Palm phone, Verizon is giving away the $60/month 3G-to-WiFi charge.

http://bit.ly/b6kRFT

D

DougDolde

Called two Apple store today one in Chandler and one in Gilbert, Arizona. They both have all three models in stock. It's killing me but I am holding out for the 3G model.

jonoslack

Okay. Five hours in. Thanks to the wonderful Terry, my 16gb iPad arrived this afternoon. Usual time taken setting up email accounts etc. Also a little disappointment that the app store isn't available yet on the ipad in the UK (but no surprise).

On the other hand there are plenty of iPad apps available on UK iTunes, missing are BBC, iBooks and iWork, but I guess they won't be long. No gotchas setting it up in the UK though, and no need for an American iTunes account. So, for anyone else in the UK considering the purchase, you may miss some applications until the official launch, but it all registers and works properly without hassle.

Having read all the eulogies I was prepared for how good the experience is, and I wasn't disappointed. First off I watched Shadows and Light (an all time favourite). No need for headphones, at close quarters the sound will do, even for Joni Mitchell and Pat Metheny.

Obviously, after such a short time I'm not in a position to offer any kind of judgement, but I would like to say one thing that I haven't seen written elsewhere and which really surprised me

It's a ball to type on

Once upon a time I could touch type at over 80 words a minute. Sadly those days are long since gone, but I do still touch type, although it was initially very weird typing without the feel of the keys, it's been very quick to get used to and I'm quite certain that with a few days practice the on screen keyboard will be as fast as a physical keyboard (possibly even faster). This has all been touch typed with the iPad on my lap in landscape mode with very few corrections and no irritation.

My long time buddy Neil defined "Good Technology" as "it's not irritating".

all the best and more thanks to Terry (at the risk of irritating her!)

ustein

Contributing Editor
>will be as fast as a physical keyboard (possibly even faster).

How that with switching to numerical?

ustein

Contributing Editor
Called two Apple store today one in Chandler and one in Gilbert, Arizona. They both have all three models in stock. It's killing me but I am holding out for the 3G model.
I would too. But first was sure not to want the 3G model, not anymore. The iPad is kind of complete with the 3G.

Diane B

It's a ball to type on

Once upon a time I could touch type at over 80 words a minute. Sadly those days are long since gone, but I do still touch type, although it was initially very weird typing without the feel of the keys, it's been very quick to get used to and I'm quite certain that with a few days practice the on screen keyboard will be as fast as a physical keyboard (possibly even faster). This has all been touch typed with the iPad on my lap in landscape mode with very few corrections and no irritation.

My long time buddy Neil defined "Good Technology" as "it's not irritating".

all the best and more thanks to Terry (at the risk of irritating her!)
I really wanted to try typing but couldn't work it out--at least for touch typing (which I also do). The table was not a good height to type standing and it would have been a bit offputting to see me crouching in a very peculiar position to be at right height. I'll take your word. I read elsewhere that someone predicts that some younger folks will likely grow up typing on a 'glass' screen and not think much about it. The keys seemed in the right position and size (esp. in landscape) for me.

Not sure about the punctuation/symbols for everything, but I've learned to let the Touch add the ' and . (suggestions for things like 'can't', seems to insert a period correctly and start correctly for capitalized (though I haven't worked out how to keep the capitalization for multiple letters like LOL unless I click on it each time). Numbers would seem to slow one down with the switch.

Amin

Having briefly borrowed an iPad, I found that the heft wasn't great for reading in bed. I'd prefer the much lighter Kindle as an ebook reader. As a web browser for the couch, the iPad is fantastic.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
May go try it today in between doc visits with my wife. It maybe a good tool for her and traveling. She is looking at a 11 day trip so was going to bring her MacBook air.

jonoslack

>will be as fast as a physical keyboard (possibly even faster).

How that with switching to numerical?
HI Uwe
I'm afraid that innumerate, so I don't use numbers :)

Seriously, it will slow one down a bit, but I just felt that finding it non-irritating after a few hours suggested that with some real practice it would be just fine - quite a different experience from doing email on an iphone. I must say, although I guess I wouldn't use it for doing big spreadsheets if there was a keyboard around, for writing I think it's rather delightful. My desire to get the plug in keyboard has gone from vital to zero.

Today I've been in meetings for the last 7 hours - with it on the table in front of me at a slight angle. Again, typing was a breeze, as was checking email etc. Also - it was much less 'in your face' than using a laptop (which I would normally do).

Guy - I do hope the doc visits go well. In comparison with an Air, the battery life is superhuman (mine has been collecting emails - 7 hours in a meeting today, loads of messing about yesterday, passing around the meeting today for ooh's and aah's), and it's not been charging other than when plugged into the computer installing apps yesterday afternoon. So, basically, that's 24 hours of intermittent use and there's still 36% left.

WiFi has been completely fine, (and our house can be tricky).

all the best

Terry

Jono, the Apple case that tilts it a little bit for easy landscape typing and viewing is quite useful. I can send a "sample trial" one your way. Have a look at the accessory page on the Apple site.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Thanks Jono down to treatment plans but all is very positive, thanks.
That is the one thing about the Ipad that is really nice to hear is battery life on it. Not sure she could even watch a movie from here to NY on the MB Air.

jonoslack

Jono, the Apple case that tilts it a little bit for easy landscape typing and viewing is quite useful. I can send a "sample trial" one your way. Have a look at the accessory page on the Apple site.
Hi Terry
Thank you for the offer . . . but at the moment I think I'm fine, mostly I'd type on my lap, in a meeting I just propped it on a pad - my iphone has never been in a case either. I'd like to see what becomes available later. What I really want is the camera connector.

As for DNG files - I've tried emailing them, and I've also tried using air sharing, I can copy them to the ipad without trouble, but it doesn't recognise them as it stands (maybe they've limited it to the camera connector so you have to buy one?).

Guy - I'm glad to hear it's positive - definitely thinking of you.

One of the reviewers said that he was running videos in the foreground and collecting email in the background and the batteries lasted 12 and a half hours . . . My current feeling is that if you stick it on charge every night then you're never likely to run out (at least, not without going completely goggleyed).

all the best

jonoslack

Guardian Eye Witness is a great news photo App for the ipad. But the pro-tips!!!:confused::eek::ROTFL:
you really do need to get it and have a look
:bugeyes::wtf::ROTFL: