The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

IPad Discussions

Amin

Smart of Apple to hold the 3G version back a few weeks. I know a lot of people who would have bought the 3G iPad on day 1. Most of them bought the Wifi version and will still buy the 3G version as soon as it is shipping. Why sell someone one iPad when you can sell them two?

ustein

Contributing Editor
Smart of Apple to hold the 3G version back a few weeks. I know a lot of people who would have bought the 3G iPad on day 1. Most of them bought the Wifi version and will still buy the 3G version as soon as it is shipping. Why sell someone one iPad when you can sell them two?
Upgrading after not more than a month :)

Terry

Upgrading after not more than a month :)
My upgrade was planned. I pretty much knew that was my plan as soon as they announced timing. I ordered both the Wifi and 3G at the same time. If figured if I could get by with the wifi I would cancel the 3G order. I have no unlocked wifi to mooch off of at my office and I like the Pad enough that I would like to throw it in my bag and take it to the office each day. Now the question is do I switch my 3G order from 32GBB to 64GB.

My wifi model will either go to my mother (I think it is the perfect device for her) or it will be sold.

Godfrey

I haven't followed this discussion very closely.

I had occasion to be at the Apple Store yesterday and had my first chance to see and use the iPad a bit while I was there. I found its display very nice, tested my websites and photos on it and found it did an excellent job of displaying them, read through a book a little bit, etc. Overall, a very good device, an excellent user experience. I could use one for showing photos to clients, doing research when not at my desk, reading a book, etc, and be happy with it.

Compared to the Sony electronic book devices that sell for $200-300, the iPad is several lightyears more competent and much more versatile. I have no particular need of cellular for constant net access (jeez, I'm happy to get away from the net now and then!), I don't need another camera, or standalone storage device, etc, so the $500 model would be fine. Although it might be sensible to buy the 3G model, since you don't need to buy a contract with it, and enable the wireless only when it's valuable to do so. Etc.

I'm sure I'll have one sometime later this year. It's not an immediate priority, but it's a useful device that I would get my money's worth out of. :)

mwalker

Subscriber Member
I'm tring my best to justify this thing...I want one, so there for I shall have one :p but how can I get my photo-hobby to work with it? I have a Iphone and a MBP and at work I'm forced to use a PC. I wish you could use external hard drives and install lightroom on it ...or something.. I don't want the 3G because I don't want to spend another $30 month.....digital cable and cable boxes, iphone, family cell phone package, xm radio, ect...where does it end..oh and I don't read books, just look at the pictures.... :)

Last edited:

Godfrey

... how can I get my photo-hobby to work with it?
...I wish you could use external hard drives and install lightroom on it ...or something.. I don't want the 3G because I don't want to spend another $30 month...
I see no reason for external hard drives or processing work on the iPad. It's a very portable content displayer/viewer and communications device with limited abilities to do content generation; it's not a workstation.

The workflow I envision is to do my image processing and story development on my desktop or laptop system, generate the output in the appropriate form for the iPad, and then move it there for display, distribute it to the web for others to download and enjoy.

That's how it integrates with my personal and professional photographic world.

The cellular data service is a no-contract, month-to-month term service. Enable it and pay for it when you need it, cancel it when you don't. You're not locked into a $30 a month payment unless you want to be. I think it's probably worth the extra $130 to buy it if you think you might ever need it, but you don't even have to turn it on, ever, if you don't want to.

ustein

Contributing Editor
What can I use to make emergency repairs to my web site : outbackphoto.com on the road using the iPad? It has to be very reliable.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Damn bought one. My wife saw the Ibook library on the demo and said buy it. Had no choice, only issue was it is a 64gb one

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
I really did not want one except for showing my images to clients is where i saw the power. Since this is 64 gb than I am going to load it up big time. But she hits the road for 11 days and this poor girl actually travels with hard bound books. She 's nuts so this will be much better for her plus she wanted to rent some movies and whatever. For me i could not be without the 3g but that is me.

Godfrey

What can I use to make emergency repairs to my web site : outbackphoto.com on the road using the iPad? It has to be very reliable.
I've made blog posts from my iPod Touch while away from my desk, but I wouldn't depend on an iPod Touch (or an iPad by extension) for workstation functions like editing a website. Different need, different device.

What seems obvious to me is that the iPad, like the iPod Touch, is designed for a different range of uses than a laptop/desktop computer system. Buy the device with the right functionality for the uses you have in mind.

Think of it another way: while you can connect a computer to most modern, higher end televisions, a television set display is not really well-suited to doing your image processing adjustment work on. It's fine for looking at a movie or a slideshow on despite that. :)

ustein

Contributing Editor
I've made blog posts from my iPod Touch while away from my desk, but I wouldn't depend on an iPod Touch (or an iPad by extension) for workstation functions like editing a website. Different need, different device.

What seems obvious to me is that the iPad, like the iPod Touch, is designed for a different range of uses than a laptop/desktop computer system. Buy the device with the right functionality for the uses you have in mind.

Think of it another way: while you can connect a computer to most modern, higher end televisions, a television set display is not really well-suited to doing your image processing adjustment work on. It's fine for looking at a movie or a slideshow on despite that. :)
Godfrey,

you know what is going on. You buy the iPad with some expectations and they are kind of all met. Now you want more :D.

There are FPT clients but they seem not to be good.