The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

IPad Discussions

jonoslack

Woooohoooooo !!!!! You don't need to shoot RAW + Jpeg !!!!!!!! I just imported G1 RAW file onto the iPad, went to a third party App to edit.
I am TOTALLY PSYCHED !!!!!!!! :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:
Hrumph - I would be as well!

Actually, thanks for this Terry - it sounds to me to be just wonderful - I'm not sure that I'd really want to do much manipulation on a trip, but the idea that you can download the card to the ipad, cull the rubbish on a decent screen and then upload to Aperture the original files when you get home sounds really splendid to me.

As for 64gb being too little . .. that's nearly 2000 A900 RAW files what do you guys do!!!!! The honest truth is that I'm happy if I get 20 good shots on a trip - no - let's be honest, after a two week trip I guess I might have 1000 shots - but only because I haven't thrown away the 600 dull ones yet! That's where the ipad will help:

1. Download SSD to ipad
2. put SSD away safely until you get home
3. cull rubbish on ipad while sitting at bar with drink
4. get home and import decent photos to Aperture
5. Smile

. . . Okay Okay - I just checked over some weddings - the biggest one has a little over 20Gb data - last trip to Crete is about the same, but that includes tiff files made from excursions to Silver efex pro etc. I'd say a 64gb ipad will do just fine for everything I'm likely to do. The whole of this year so far (3 trips and lots more) is only 40Gb!

Nice to see that there is another camera raw update from Apple as well - they're obviously getting their act together.

all the best

fotografz

Okay guys ... help out a geek challenged photographer here. Make it remedial please :eek:

Now if I get one of these new fangled iPad devices ...

Can I upload files to the iPad and then send them to an off-sight storage site? Like if I shot all day on a trip, or a destination wedding, and then that
evening I sent them to one of my on-line storage vaults over-night while I slept ... would that work?

What do you need to do that besides the iPad?

Inquiring small minds want to know ;)

-Marc

Terry

Marc,
I don't know if your scenario is feasible. More testing would have to be done. I am not sure what program you would use for the file to be sent to the offsite. One of the things Apple has done on the iPad is "shield" the user from files and folders. There is no finder. Because of that, there would have to be some App that you use that could select the files and send them to where you need.

A few things that might illustrate this. If you go to Safari and then getdpi's website and then try and upload photos to this forum, when you get to the page where you make the selection of shots, the buttons you would need to push are grayed out.

If you go attach the iPad to your mac, you won't see the iPad as a drive in the finder. You will see the iPad in iTunes but I didn't find a way to properly offload the photos that way.

If you connect the iPad to a laptop, and you open LR/Aperture/iPhoto all three programs see the iPad and allow you to import the photos from it. However, then you have both the iPad and the Laptop/Desktop side by side which is what you are trying to avoid when travelings.

That takes me back to something App based where the App is almost like an FTP (if I'm using the terminology correctly) and is simply sending your files to something in the ether. I have no idea how fast or slow this would be but at the very least you would want to probably be on fast wifi and not 3G.

Not sure if this is making sense but ask away withe more questions.

mwalker

Subscriber Member
Uwe - this is an excerpt from the DPReview post....I think it is only a matter of time until an App is written

"Interestingly, when the D700 is connected to the iPad, it is still fully functional. So it can take pictures. Pictures taken show up on the iPad as thumbnails immediately. This sounds encouraging for using the iPad as a real-time viewer. Unfortunately, in order to see the image full screen you have to import it and then view it in the Photos app. This is too laborious to be useful. Perhaps someone will write an app to make a viewer out of the iPad."
That is what I was looking for

Terry

Jono - I don't plan on doing much editing with the iPad. However, on a casual weekend away when I am taking some pictures, my friends or family would like to see the shots or have me email some to them. This way I can load up the files. Pick some that they would want. Make some basic crops or corrections (enough to satisfy them for screen viewing in email) and send the files on. I could see the scenario that I would want to upload a few files to the forum. However, for the moment that can't be done (as the upload controls are grayed out when you try to - someone need to modify forum software to interact with iPad or write an app for that).

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Now if I get one of these new fangled iPad devices ...

Can I upload files to the iPad and then send them to an off-sight storage site? Like if I shot all day on a trip, or a destination wedding, and then that
evening I sent them to one of my on-line storage vaults over-night while I slept ... would that work?

What do you need to do that besides the iPad?

Inquiring small minds want to know ;)

-Marc

Marc,

It looks possible with the following application...depending upon file size and storage ability of the site.

http://mobile.eurosmartz.com/products/printcentral.html

This program has answered my printing and file transfer needs ... along with DocstoGo for the iPhone and soon to be iPad...now that I have used this on the iPhone. It is very robust and quite sophisticated, quite worth the investment. It supports uploading files to iDisk with WebDAV or MobileMe

Bob

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Jono - I don't plan on doing much editing with the iPad. However, on a casual weekend away when I am taking some pictures, my friends or family would like to see the shots or have me email some to them. This way I can load up the files. Pick some that they would want. Make some basic crops or corrections (enough to satisfy them for screen viewing in email) and send the files on. I could see the scenario that I would want to upload a few files to the forum. However, for the moment that can't be done (as the upload controls are grayed out when you try to - someone need to modify forum software to interact with iPad or write an app for that).
Trying loading a Phase file. :)

jonoslack

Trying loading a Phase file. :)
:ROTFL:

Still - Terry - what's it like with an A900 file?

Terry - your point about showing people, making mods and emailing them the shot sounds good and sensible.

Marc - not sure if air sharing HD would do your trick for you ? (great app)
all the best

Terry

The A900 needs to be connected with the USB cord, which I've done.
Here is a screen shot - sorry it isn't rotated not sure how with a screen print PNG file.

For these 19 (24MP) RAW files it took under 1 minute to load (I wish the clock app were on iPad)

Then I took one of the RAWs and imported to Photogene (best app I've found) and increased exposure, converted to B&W, adjusted highlight and shadows, saved at original size, emailed to myself, used my laptop to upload to the forum (the missing link from the iPad). The file size is 1080x1660. I did read the the iPad makes you work on about a 3mp file - this is small but this is fine for what I would do to email or upload. This smaller file is for working on it only - the iPad preserves the original files. I then connected the iPad to my laptop went into LR and imported one of the RAWs and it imported at the full untouched file size.

This is the exif from the RAW file I imported from the iPad to LR and you can see the full file

Please these shots were testing out something on the camera. They are not artistic.

Last edited:

Diane B

Okay, so I'm sure I understand. if I import RAW files it will be possible to view them--or only in, for instance, the app you mention? Or did I miss something?

Ahem......Went back up to your (Terry) first post--and as I read it, you import, open with Photogene if you want to process a bit, but for just viewing and culling, you can open in the Photo app and just view, delete? I'm thinking more along the lines of Jono's scenario.

Diane

Terry

Okay, so I'm sure I understand. if I import RAW files it will be possible to view them--or only in, for instance, the app you mention? Or did I miss something?

Ahem......Went back up to your (Terry) first post--and as I read it, you import, open with Photogene if you want to process a bit, but for just viewing and culling, you can open in the Photo app and just view, delete? I'm thinking more along the lines of Jono's scenario.

Diane
Correct. To view the files you just import them. You can see on the import screen shots the thumbnails and then you can see on the bridge shot where I was just viewing the file (I just hadn't rotated the iPad for landscape)

Terry

One more test. I shot one file as an A900 jpeg. I imported to the iPad. I then moved it to Lightroom again it keeps full resolution. When I work with that file in the editing app I again even with jpeg are dealing with a smaller file. The reason I'm interested in figuring out how it handles files is that I was under the impression I was going to need to change my workflow to RAW + jpeg from just RAW and I'm now finding that I can simply work with the RAW files and not worry about creating a lot of jpegs that will just use up space.

Terry

I had a DOH!!!! moment on my way to work. I forgot to test and see if I could hook up a CF card reader to the USB adapter and import files that way. Better solution than hooking the camera to the iPad. Will try that tonight.

Diane B

I had a DOH!!!! moment on my way to work. I forgot to test and see if I could hook up a CF card reader to the USB adapter and import files that way. Better solution than hooking the camera to the iPad. Will try that tonight.
Now, that would be great as my 5D is still CF only--I don't even know where my USB cord is for it LOL.

Diane

ustein

Contributing Editor
>I forgot to test and see if I could hook up a CF card reader to the USB adapter and import files that way.

I forgot to ask. I hope it works.