The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

IPad Discussions

Diane B

Well, the whole point of these devices is that they ARE different - and are meant to be. If you start using the 'why should it be different', then you are one step along the route of turning the ipad into a standard tablet PC.

However - I certainly take Marc/Uwe's point that it would be good to be able to move a batch of photos off the ipad on to a remote storage when on a trip.
I'm not convinced that you can't do this using AirShare HD, and when I get my iPad back I'll give it a serious go! (later this evening).

all the best
I'm just following along--getting all my questions answered by you early adopters LOL. By the time I bite the bullet, I'll be set to go.

I've also wondered about the back up storage, but then wonder if we aren't trying to make it (the Ipad) be something its not intended to be (Jono's point). Then again, it seems that often hardware and software morph (or their uses) when they get in the hands of users and 3rd party developers--usually all to our good.

Diane

Diane B

Another question--this may or may not apply to what Uwe said--the fact that the Ipad has no 'normal' file structure. As I understand it, the fimware upgrade for the Iphone and Touch that will come out this summer (and in the Fall for the Ipad) will allow folders. I haven't read enough to know if this is useful beyond organizing apps, so wonder if anyone else knows?

Diane

Terry

I thought folders were for Apps not files. The whole point of the iPhone OS was to take away the notion of files and folders for documents pictures etc. And was a decision in making it not like a tablet running a regular operating system. When I get to my destination (at airport headed to Seattle again), I will try and find and link to a very good article about it. I think it may have been a Jonathan Gruber Daring Fireball but it was back in December or early January.

Diane B

I thought folders were for Apps not files. The whole point of the iPhone OS was to take away the notion of files and folders for documents pictures etc. And was a decision in making it not like a tablet running a regular operating system. When I get to my destination (at airport headed to Seattle again), I will try and find and link to a very good article about it. I think it may have been a Jonathan Gruber Daring Fireball but it was back in December or early January.
That makes sense and probably what I read also (checked it and that's so--for apps only). If so, though, then it seems we should use each 'tool' for the things it does best--horses for courses.

I like apps on the Touch to be truthful--little to think about. How much easier to use my NY Times app instead of using Safari, finding and bookmarking it and then having to fiddle around to read it when its all set up to read correctly from the app--as an example.

I can use folders in my bookmarks--and do. I set up my apps pages by type so will like folders for them even more, but on the Ipad I suspect we photographers (and other specialty users) would like it to conform to what we want it to do. Laptops allow us to do that--we just want this 'magical' thing to conform to our own way of working.

Last edited:

ustein

Contributing Editor
>I thought folders were for Apps not files. The whole point of the iPhone OS was to take away the notion of files and folders for documents pictures etc.

Yes, in some part a good idea. But the moment we want to make the iPad a workflow tool for imaging it gets more problematic. There maybe many apps that we like to share data (images).

ustein

Contributing Editor
I think that having power charging through the dock connector is not such a great idea. While the iPhone charges fine from most USB connectors the iPad does not. This means you either charge or use the dock.

jonoslack

>I thought folders were for Apps not files. The whole point of the iPhone OS was to take away the notion of files and folders for documents pictures etc.

Yes, in some part a good idea. But the moment we want to make the iPad a workflow tool for imaging it gets more problematic. There maybe many apps that we like to share data (images).
HI Uwe
Well - as Monza said - there IS a proper Unix file structure on the ipad, just like the iphone, no question, so the issue is not whether it's there, but access.

3rd party Apps can have access to your image folders already - again - no question. The issue is whether it can have access to a number of files at once (for instance for Marc's idea of transferring image files to a remote server overnight). It certainly seems that this idea is being relaxed on OS4 (Silas has it on his phone at the moment, and there is much more you can do with it).

From a 'philosophical' point of view, I think it's right that you shouldn't have multi-file access to the ipad from another computer - however, I think you should be able to get multiple files off it (as indeed you can if you use LR A3 iPhoto).

As far as it's being a useful workflow tool for photographers - again, I think it already is as far as use as a storage/selection/backup/transfer device - the only real question is whether you can use other applications to batch transfer files off the device. It seems possible that we'll have to wait for OS4 for that (in the fall), but there may be a way around it in the meantime.

Terry

I think that having power charging through the dock connector is not such a great idea. While the iPhone charges fine from most USB connectors the iPad does not. This means you either charge or use the dock.
I'm not sure what you mean? The charger cable attaches to the back of the dock. As for the camera connection kit not being to be used at the same time as charging I thin you only need the connector dingle attached for a short amount of time.

ustein

Contributing Editor
I'm not sure what you mean? The charger cable attaches to the back of the dock. As for the camera connection kit not being to be used at the same time as charging I thin you only need the connector dingle attached for a short amount of time.
At some point I hope I can copy to external disks through the cameras/USB connector and then would like not just to run on battery. Copying 15-30GB will take some time.

Last edited:
M

meilicke

Terry and everyone else, thanks so much for all of the camera connection kit info!

-Scott

jonoslack

As for cases: surely the whole point of the thing is it's size?
If you start putting it into a case it destroys part of it's point.

In that interview with Jon Ive, he said that it was designed to be tough, so that you could chuck it on a car seat or get stuff on the screen in the kitchen. After all, it's aluminium and glass, not plastic. Notable that in the 'will it blend' video he took the aluminium off first and still had a time breaking it in two.

I really don't think they need much Molly-coddling, and mine will stay naked except when it's in the front slip pocket of my new Fogg B# bag where it fits perfectly.

All the best

Terry

Jono, I really like the Apple case not for protection but functionaliy. I like the wedge shape for typing and also folded around to stand at a good angle when viewing a movie on an airplane. My bags always have keys spare change and other stuff jangling around so things get scratched and beaten up pretty easily. I used to protect my iphone and have since stopped (since I seem to upgrade it every year and the size/shape have change I don't see the need for spending on lots of cases) but also it starting to show it's wear.

Diane B

Jono, I really like the Apple case not for protection but functionaliy. I like the wedge shape for typing and also folded around to stand at a good angle when viewing a movie on an airplane. My bags always have keys spare change and other stuff jangling around so things get scratched and beaten up pretty easily. I used to protect my iphone and have since stopped (since I seem to upgrade it every year and the size/shape have change I don't see the need for spending on lots of cases) but also it starting to show it's wear.
Since I'm only a wanabee here, I don't have as strong a feeling about some things as some, but having spent some longish time with one twice, I found that I had trouble typing on it flat--thus I would expect I would go with Terry on the Apple case or something similar. I read on my Touch a lot (newspapers and websites primarily) so see that as something that would be more comfortable in some situations than holding it for long periods of time.

The other point would be---I don't want this to be something akin to a laptop for carrying--adding cases, etc. will do that, so the less the better for me. I don't have a camera case that would allow it (I don't think--perhaps one of my domkes would allow it to slip in), but if I carry it with camera, I want the least possible. I actually see mine being used a lot at home and when I carry it out with me, it will be primarily for a trip with camera. Otherwise I'll use the Touch/cell.

Again--I've decided to hold off until those of you getting the 3G have theirs in hand, have used it--or both--for a bit and then make a decision. The wifis are in stock in the Apple store and the 3Gs say ships by May 7th so there's no rush.

Just an update. I've tried the Palm Pre mobile hotspot with laptop and Touch, singly and both connected. The connection is quick and easy, the speed surprised me. There was little difference in speed between my home wifi and using the hotspot. Its a relatively cheap way to use 3G when I need to--which isn't often.