The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

IPad Discussions

M

meilicke

Just an update. I've tried the Palm Pre mobile hotspot with laptop and Touch, singly and both connected. The connection is quick and easy, the speed surprised me. There was little difference in speed between my home wifi and using the hotspot. Its a relatively cheap way to use 3G when I need to--which isn't often.
Oh Diane, you make me positively envious with the mobile hotspot action on your Palm.

Sometimes my iPhone is so frustrating!:thumbdown:

Scott

douglasf13

As for cases: surely the whole point of the thing is it's size?
If you start putting it into a case it destroys part of it's point.

In that interview with Jon Ive, he said that it was designed to be tough, so that you could chuck it on a car seat or get stuff on the screen in the kitchen. After all, it's aluminium and glass, not plastic. Notable that in the 'will it blend' video he took the aluminium off first and still had a time breaking it in two.

I really don't think they need much Molly-coddling, and mine will stay naked except when it's in the front slip pocket of my new Fogg B# bag where it fits perfectly.

All the best
I'm the same with my iPhone. I have no interest in bulking it up and covering the design with a case. I just keep it in a pocket without keys, and it's been fine for two years.

ustein

Contributing Editor
So to all of you who bought an iPad...any regrets?
Not really. It does what I like it to do:

- show my work: Photos and Videos
- can do my email on road
- use maps
- Browse the web if needed

Have now a battery powered wifi hub for my Aircard and don't need the 3G model.

I never cared for the iPhone (too small and too expensive contract). The iPod Touch was ok but still way too small. Now I carry a small bag with camera (mostly T2i) and some lenses, the iPad and the wifi router with me most of the time. Also a very cheap mobile phone for my rare calls via a phone (use Skype from the iPad if I need to call otherwise).

Is it expensive? Clearly yes, but no regrets. Was a bit worried to need the 3G but this is solved now.

monza

None. I don't consider the ipad expensive, either. I had a Lenovo netbook and it's a plastic piece of junk in comparison, for the same price, nothing beats the build quality of Apple products.

Diane B

Re: IPad Discussions Simple Question - No Answer So Far??

I think iPhoto may default to date order from the exif. I don't know a way of importing a preexisting slideshow. That being said, I'm currently playing with Keynote and creating a slideshow in the App. If you do that, you can keep them in the correct order. There may be other apps or ways to do this but I think it will take some time. Just like we have blurb for doing book publishing in hard copy, I do envision seeing photo books show up in a format that can be loaded into the iBook reader or similar app.
I'd like to go back to this. I'm getting closer to buying (waiting for youall to get your 3Gs this weekend or next) and have some more questions. Some of them, I know, may be answered in the future with more apps. I've read elsewhere about the limitations of trying to use the Ipad for a portfolio--not being able to order, not being able to set slideshow time (?), etc. Has anyone set up their portfolio to their satisfaction? There is a post above here with someone having problems--but I don't think anyone has brought this up (unless I missed it) since then except this post by Terry. I will say the photo book is very attractive to me though I know THAT isn't possible yet, but a portfolio ordered as one wants, etc., is at this point.

The uploading/downloading, RAW, etc. issue seems to be resolved for the most part. Now--I'd like to see if anyone has worked out the portfolio issue at this point.

I don't expect the Ipad to be used only for photographic reasons--I know all the things I use my Touch for and know the Ipad will do everything better--and more. But--the photographic end is still one reason I want the Ipad, so---trying to learn more before hitting the button.

Diane

Terry

Diane,
Over the weekend I can test out more on slide shows. I haven't paid too much attention to the technicals behind it. You can set the slideshow time. If you go to the settings app and chose photos there are three choices:

Play each slide for (2sec, 3sec, 5 sec, 10sec, 20sec)
Repeat (on/off)
Shuffle(on/off)

I'm not sure how it orders the slides within each album. I will be coming from a Mac and can try and make albums in iPhoto and see if I can get it to keep the sequencing. I am not sure how you would be synching your photos to the iPad and what sort order they will start in.

monza

Imagine if Apple had shut down the company and distributed the assets to the shareholders as Michael Dell suggested some years ago. ;)

Lars

Imagine if Apple had shut down the company and distributed the assets to the shareholders as Michael Dell suggested some years ago. ;)
There's always that possibility in any corporation. Rear mirror is a great thing - that doesn't mean Dell was wrong, considering the uncertainty of Apple's future at that time.

We've discussed this before - the right time to turn the corporate treasure chest into dividends is when the race is over, so to speak. Of course, nobody knows when that point in time is.