The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

IPad Discussions

jonoslack

HI Everyone.
Well, we finally got the opportunity to order our work models (the 16g wifi will then be used for demonstration purposes). Delivery is supposed to be the 28th May. Can't wait for the apple apps and ibooks (neither of which we have at the moment).

Diane B

Humph!!!! Joni. Though the Apple store said 7-10 days till shipping and I expected about 5 more days shipping, getting it here before all of you----just got my confirmation and it isn't to ship now until May 26 with delivery June 1. Case to be shipped June 10

Looks as though supply is becoming a bit tighter here and stores, both Apple and BB, in my part of the country appear to be totally sold out. Seems to be a bit of a success. (tongue inserted in cheek here)

Diane B

And--I'm wrong again (and too late to edit). I was thinking 7-10 days even knowing that they meant business days LOL. Apple is within their shipping date of course. Ah, well--in the throes of excitement I got carried away.

(correction thanks to Stephen who caught me up LOL).

Last edited:

jonoslack

HI Diane
now worries about the Joni (my heroin).
The UK store is now saying that new orders will ship June 7th as well - we got in really quickly on Monday.
It's been interesting that almost everyone who's seen mine is sold on it, whatever they thought at the outset.

If you love your touch I'm sure you won't be disappointed.

fultonpics

Love mine. Wifi is great. I have the poor man version and wouldn't waste a dime more on it. Saving my pennies for: new iPhone this summer, I7 MacBook pro, new intel ssd this fall, 3d tv, Nikon D4 (2), updated Mac pro tower......

D

DougDolde

It's worth it's price in free ebooks. 30,000 to pick from. That's about a penny and a half per book if you can read them all. At one book per day it would take 82 years to read them all, assuming no more free books were added to the library. :eek:

There's a moral to the story: the average person doesn't even live for 30,000 days, so use each one well. (I've used up about 23,000 of mine already so these words are hitting home)

Last edited:

Diane B

This may be something I don't need to worry about, but..... I have an Ipad due June 1. I thought I would select my apps and be ready to sync. How can you tell an Ipad app from an IPhone app if you have both---i.e., NY Times. There are a number of Iphone apps I don't want to sync to the Ipad--and even now I have some I've dled, that are in my Itunes library but I don't sync to my Touch now (may at some point). I will be manually syncing--but just not sure how to tell the difference.

On a different note--ever feel dumb?? I've tried and tried to create an account for the Apple discussion forum. I have an Apple ID from Itunes. It recognizes that and shows it at the top. It brings up an account form which I fill out, check the accept block, click on create account--and it just brings up the account form again. Any thoughts???

Terry

In the iTunes store you can flip a "switch" from iPod/iPhone to iPad. (edit: need to go back and recheck the switch. I frequently go to appshopper.com to see what is new on the app store and they definitely sort them out. On the ipad itself it is very clear because they are shown in two sections) Also some are universal and They have a little plus sign by the price button. On your ipad when you search for apps the app store will separate them out.

Last edited:

Diane B

Terry, I can find the various apps to buy but when I sync--how will I know which is which if I have both? I know I can look at my apps section on left of Itunes and it has them sorted, but when I manually sync, will it differentiate which is which (where I will need to check what I want synced or not)? When I synced my Touch a bit ago, I didn't see any Ipad apps. I have about 6 ready to be synced to the IPad. So--I assume that when I connect the Ipad it will be apparent?? I have the NYTimes, NPR, a couple of others that are not 'universal' but separate for Ipad and Iphone and I have 2 apps for each (iphone and Ipad)

Terry

Diane,
I'm now not the best for that because I was synching my iPhone to a different computer than my iPad. So, someone else can chime in until I get back to SF. Both of mine will be synched to the same computer/iTunes account going forward because (sob) I just gave my MBP to my sister yesterday!

stephengilbert

Wow, Diane, I can answer something that Terry can't (yet). I just plugged my iPhone into my computer. The iPhone apps I've downloaded appear in the left frame app list, the installed ones with check marks. iPad apps don't appear until the iPad is attached, at which time all (iPhone as well as iPad) apps appear.

Steve

Diane B

Do you have duplicates of any--like NY Times (good ex). I remember seeing on some Ipad forum that Itunes should have something like a black frame around either the Ipad ones or the Iphone ones so you kNow which to sync. In most cases it will be obvious which are Iphone apps only but if I have 2 NPR AND NY Times and WSJ how do you know which you want to check for syncing?

AND. good for you for having an answer Terry doesnt have yet Asyou say LOL)

sorry about typos. Typing on Touch LOL

while we're talking about this-- the apps that are "both"--have they now been optimized/upgraded for Ipad and look good on the larger screen? I know I've had a lot of upgrades to install recently and I was guessing that they may be optimized versions.

Last edited:

stephengilbert

Diane,

The only app I have in two versions is Bloomberg, which appears in the iPad list two times. If you open the app pages of iTunes, you'll see three sections: iPhone, iPod Touch, and iPad Apps; iPhone and iPod Touch Apps; and iPad Apps. I don't recall if these three sections appeared before I synced my iPad, but I did download a few apps before I got an iPad, free ones mostly, as well as one or two inexpensive ones that I thought were likely to go up in price later. If you send me an email address, I'll send screen shots of the two iTunes pages.

Steve

Terry

I knew as soon as I started posting on this topic it was a mistake. LOL. I just sprang for Wifi on my flight across country. Will be interesting to see how well Netflix and ABC do at streaming video through GoGo.

stephengilbert

The majority of the apps that supposedly work on both the iPhone and iPad appear on the latter in a small box on the screen. There's a 2X button, but when you double the size, you lose sharpness. I originally synced those, but have since removed almost all of them.

PeterL

All apps that work on an iPad touch will work on the iPad, but if unmodified at all, will appear in the size as they do on the iPod, as you correctly point out. For an app to qualify to be iPad listed in the AppStore, it needs to at-a-minimum be orientation aware. Hopefully also take advantage of the added real estate space, but I'm not sure this strictly is required...

Cheers, -Peter