The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

IPad Discussions

Diane B

Thought I would add to the "which app the Ipad will choose if there are 2 (NPR, NYTimes, etc.)". I just read on another forum that there is code in the IPad app and the correct one will be synced to the Ipad--not both the Iphone and the Ipad. Just repeating--don't know for sure if this is so, but it sounds plausible.

Terry

All apps that work on an iPad touch will work on the iPad, but if unmodified at all, will appear in the size as they do on the iPod, as you correctly point out. For an app to qualify to be iPad listed in the AppStore, it needs to at-a-minimum be orientation aware. Hopefully also take advantage of the added real estate space, but I'm not sure this strictly is required...

Cheers, -Peter
There are some iPad specific Apps that don't change orientation. One example is Words with Friends HD. I've come across some others as well.

MMPhoto

Hi I am new to this trend. And I am starting to look at the Ipad. Can this Ipad be use as a on location viewer back-up device and getting the folder ready for the work flow on my station with Lr.

Michel

ustein

Contributing Editor
Hi I am new to this trend. And I am starting to look at the Ipad. Can this Ipad be use as a on location viewer back-up device and getting the folder ready for the work flow on my station with Lr.

Michel
Not really.

Diane B

Question. Maybe when I get my Ipad (about 10 days) I will easily be able to work this out but maybe some have already done this or thought about it.

I have been a longtime subscriber to Lenswork. I used to get the Extended but found I really didn't want to sit in front of the monitor and watch the videos, look at the portfolios. Even with ergonomic chair, everything where it should be, I still find myself going into poor positions for neck, back, etc. after a long period of viewing. That's one reason I'm looking forward to getting the Ipad--using it for all my surfing, reading where I can sit or stand in a more normal position anywhere I choose for reading/viewing and using my main computer for only major processing and the laptop for photography travel.

So--the Extended Lenswork comes on a DVD. What would be the best way to get that video onto the Ipad--or is it possible? I know its quite easy to rent a movie and watch it. Seems to be an ideal device to watch something like this--and perhaps Lenswork will develop an app with subscription for watching them in the future, but for now--AFAIK, they are DVD only and I know moving data from a main computer to the Ipad isn't what I'm used to doing. I do know how to use Itunes to add data to my Touch--but haven't even thought of DVD data.

Last edited:

Terry

Diane,
Try and have a look at Air Share. I think that app gives you access to content on your network (no idea about DVD content in a drive). I've never used it.

jonoslack

Diane,
Try and have a look at Air Share. I think that app gives you access to content on your network (no idea about DVD content in a drive). I've never used it.
Airshare is great - definitely a winner looking at attachments to emails as well.

ustein

Contributing Editor
>The biggest irritation is that the iwork apps still aren't available (can't imagine why not).

Maybe because you need the actual iPad to buy them?

shadzee

Diane,

Try "HandBrake", you can convert the DVD to M4V (Apple's MPEG4) format. Use the "Apple TV" preset.

Once converted, it'll be a single ".m4v" file, which you can place in your iTunes Movies folder, and sync to your iPad.

Diane B

Well, thanks all for the several solutions--I figured there had to be (should have googled--just checked various forums--googling always works better LOL). I debated about subscribing to the Extended again--now I know I will.

Checked my delivery for Ipad again last night--still on track for May 26, delivery June 1. I forgot to order the camera connector though and I realized it when I reviewed my order so now I'll be further back in the line--drats!!

ustein

Contributing Editor
>I forgot to order the camera connector though and I realized it when I reviewed my order so now I'll be further back in the line--drats!!

Not impressed by it. If you import a large folder of images to the iPad it is tedious to delete these files again. CF cards are problematic, video very limited (no 1080p and not even 720p 30p).

Maybe ok to select a few images and send to friends (I then normally can wait till I have a real PC).

ustein

Contributing Editor
Diane,

Try "HandBrake", you can convert the DVD to M4V (Apple's MPEG4) format. Use the "Apple TV" preset.

Once converted, it'll be a single ".m4v" file, which you can place in your iTunes Movies folder, and sync to your iPad.
Lenswork is a data DVD and not a movie DVD. I check with my iPad what works. The videos maybe part of the PDFs.

here are my findings:

1. PDFs display (I use Goodreader)
2. Can copy the videos (.mov) also to Goodreader and they play fine.
3. I don't expect them to work directly from PDF links
4. You can organize inside Goodreader with folders but it seems you cannot copy folders directly to Goodreader.

Hope this helps

Last edited:

Diane B

Thanks Uwe. I don't have one to check format. It really seems as though the Ipad would be ideal to view it on so hope there is a way

So you are saying I might not find the connector useful?? I don't plan to use the Ipad for storage as I've been following here about the issue with deleting files so maybe I'll wait until things sort out about that. Is there anything else useful I need it for?

Scargos2

Has anyone tried a audio book on the Ipad. Can you use an ear phone and I wonder if you can stop in the middle of the audio book and restart were you stopped. This would be great on a long airplane trip.