The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

IPad Discussions

jonoslack

Has anyone tried a audio book on the Ipad. Can you use an ear phone and I wonder if you can stop in the middle of the audio book and restart were you stopped. This would be great on a long airplane trip.
Hi Rick
Yes. The iPod app works with audio books and holds hour place. Same way as an iPhone or a touch. No special app needed.

Diane B

Just interesting note. Last night I got a 'shipped' notice from Apple. My 64G wifi Ipad had been shipped--a bit more than a week early and is due the day before it was to have been shipped. So--I will get it before the Euro folks after all LOL. Not sure what this means, but at least they are def. staying within their shipping dates.

I do wonder though--it shipped from China the 24th (which would be 12 hours earlier than my time) and is due 'by' May 26th. You think??? It will be interesting watching it move across the US to North Carolina and get the 'out for delivery' notice on Fed Ex.

I have a number of apps ready to install --some from experience with similar ones on my Touch (news apps, reading apps like Kindle, Stanza, recipe/cooking and wine, etc) , a couple specific to Ipad. I plan to leave my music apps and most music all on my Touch--maybe add Pandora, but I find that I use the Touch as a mini net radio transmitter and have RCA cables on all our radios and sound systems and just plug in the Touch wherever I am. I'll use the Ipad for for viewing primarily. I read recently that 94% of the people who have bought Ipads are happy with them. That's a quite high percentage for a new device it seems to me.

Still not sure whether to bother buying camera connector or not. I'm more interested in loading a portfolio (which would be done through Itunes) and haven't seen more about how people are dealing with this since the first discussion about it.

Last edited:

jonoslack

Hi Diane
Just interesting note. Last night I got a 'shipped' notice from Apple. My 64G wifi Ipad had been shipped--a bit more than a week early and is due the day before it was to have been shipped. So--I will get it before the Euro folks after all LOL. Not sure what this means, but at least they are def. staying within their shipping dates.
Ah - but wait . . . we got our 'shipped' notice on May 22nd, sadly it's still saying delivery on the 28th.

Shall we have a race?

mwalker

Subscriber Member
Terry or anybody, I took some sample pics (RAW) with my M9 and transferred them to my ipad and the photos where blurry. Anybody try this with a RAW file dng, from a M9? Any problems? This is the first test and I haven't retried so it may be an anomaly.

Terry

Leica apparently provides a very low quality jpeg embedded into the DNG. Try shooting a RAW+jpeg and retry the experiment. You should then see a good quality jpeg. In contrast it seems Panasonic puts a big nice jpeg file into the RAW and vie been fine with just the RAW files.
If RAW + jpeg doesn't do the trick and it's an M9 is it in focus :ROTFL::ROTFL:

Diane B

Hi Diane

Ah - but wait . . . we got our 'shipped' notice on May 22nd, sadly it's still saying delivery on the 28th.

Shall we have a race?
But wait. Which direction will they fly for Europe deliveries???? LOL.

I'm happy just getting mine a week earlier than expected.

jonoslack

But wait. Which direction will they fly for Europe deliveries???? LOL.
Just as long as it isn't over that volcano in Iceland :)
tell you what - we should both keep a note of arrival time, and whoever gets it first wins a drink. . . . . of course, you'll have to come over here to get it!

jonoslack

Terry or anybody, I took some sample pics (RAW) with my M9 and transferred them to my ipad and the photos where blurry. Anybody try this with a RAW file dng, from a M9? Any problems? This is the first test and I haven't retried so it may be an anomaly.
Hi Mike
Terry has it - but if you shoot RAW+jpg you get a grand image, and for the purpose of review and culling it works well (it only shows one image, and if you delete it, then it deletes both the RAW and jpg).

all the best

Diane B

Just as long as it isn't over that volcano in Iceland :)
tell you what - we should both keep a note of arrival time, and whoever gets it first wins a drink. . . . . of course, you'll have to come over here to get it!
Deal. Fed Ex just adjusted my delivery date to May 27 'before' 10:30 AM LOL. Its now on Lantau Island, HK.

Diane

mwalker

Subscriber Member
Hi Mike
Terry has it - but if you shoot RAW+jpg you get a grand image, and for the purpose of review and culling it works well (it only shows one image, and if you delete it, then it deletes both the RAW and jpg).

all the best
Great I'm sure that's it thanks

jonoslack

Deal. Fed Ex just adjusted my delivery date to May 27 'before' 10:30 AM LOL. Its now on Lantau Island, HK.

Diane
I'm sure you'll win, because I'm sure that the UK deliveries will be held until the 28th. Unfortunately we can't see where ours have got to :(. We English can really sulk. But I do have that Caspar snoozing at my feet :grin:

Terry

I got an email from line2 today. They've fixed their VoiP app. It now works on 3G for the iPad. I tried it out just now and it worked fine. So you can turn your iPad into a phone and use it over both wifi and 3G. They charge $15/month. Not sure if Skype can use the iPad 3G data only on iPad

Diane B

I tried the Line2 demo for a month with the Touch. Worked great with the teeny mic on the ear buds. Very clear-more clear than my cell. I don't need it since I carry a cell and never go over minutes (i use much more data than minutes) but would recommend it. A number of pros for business use.

Diane B

I'm sure you'll win, because I'm sure that the UK deliveries will be held until the 28th. Unfortunately we can't see where ours have got to :(. We English can really sulk. But I do have that Caspar snoozing at my feet :grin:
Well, mine is almost within spitting distance (released from customs in Memphis TN at midnight but I bet its enroute to Charlotte) and may even beat its 'estimated' date of May 27 by 10:30 AM LOL.

Beyond that---since Caspar is growing (and, it seems, now a more placid fellow evidenced by sleeping at your feet LOL), it seems time to add some pics of him on the dog thread--or at least on your galleries and alert us to them. By george, he'll be a grown up fellow before you know it. This one looks promising too but no feedback and not enuf info to know http://lighttableapp.com/

Still hoping that someone will be using the Ipad for their portfolio and being able to set it up as they wish. I have been watching for any apps to aid that. I did find Photo-Sort that may be helpful to some degree--not sure. There are lots of filter/editor apps. There's also an app called Fine ARts that has very nice frames--not sure what else it can do---maybe nothing but frame the photos you have uploaded.

Has anyone tried this app? It looks promising for transferring photo files from/to Ipad/computer
http://www.phototransferapp.com/

Last edited:

Terry

I'm still hoping that Apple will beef up the photo app. Little things like image rotation need to be added. I used the Panasonic 20mm lens this weekend on both the GF1 and the E-PL1 neither of which will auto rotate the picture. Rotating the iPad doesn't do any good because the picture will rotate again to the wrong orientation.

Terry

Terry, look at Photo Rotate in apps. Seems to do what you want but without my Ipad to try, not sure.
All of the Photo "apps" will rotate but when you save from an App it doesn't go back to the same spot as the rest of the photos. For instance. Let's say I import a whole set of images from my computer and they are in folders. The folder structure is maintained on the iPad. Then if I take one of those shots and work on it on a third party app, when I'm done and save that shot it isn't saved back into the folder it came from. It is saved into the main catch all folder called Saved Photos.

So, in the case of downloading from your camera/card the files go into two places "last import" and "all imported". Now if you take some to an app to rotate (one by one!) they stay in all imported folder but unrotated and the rotated version is saved as a copy in "saved photos".

What Apple REALLY needs to do is add some basic editing to their photo viewer that will keep the "folder" integrity.

Scargos2

I ordered my Ipad last night with the camera connector. Apple is saying 5-7 days. We will see how long it really takes. I am in no hurry , but were is my IPAD!
Will be testing, in putting pictures from my M8 into the IPAD using only the raw files.