The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

IPad Discussions

shadzee

I was out shooting at Morro Bay, and didn't know about the changes, and renewed my $30/month deal. If I had known, I would have opted for the $25/2GB plan.

In the first month I had used 800MB. As Terry says, (and per AT&T's PR) I think very few people need 5GB.

Then again, I'm also waiting for Monday, and see what the world brings us ;-)

As of now, I think the Sprint/EVO4G is the way to go. We'll see...

Diane B

I think I am going to buy this keyboard. I've debated about the dock/keyboard but the charger works fine for me. There are also times I'd like a regular keyboard with my laptop(now I use a large USB one and its often not where I'm working untethered to my desktop) so, after I checked it works okay with Win, think it would be useful for me. I do most email on the Ipad now and though I'm pretty good with the onscreen keyboard in landscape, still there are times I'd like s "real" keyboard LOL

jonoslack

Hi There
Great blog Uwe.
Just another point of view - we tried both keyboards (already having several bluetooth keyboards). For casual use I find the onscreen keyboard fine - for more concerted use I really like the keyboard / dock arrangement, obviously, it's convenient that it charges it at the same time (rather than draining the charge). But for doing emails etc. it's really good; at work I have my laptop at one side, a 24" monitor in front (with a bluetooth keyboard and mouse), then on the left I have the ipad in a keyboard dock, and I use that for emails etc. it takes up less room than the ipad+bluetooth keyboard, and if I want to use it landscape I can just grab it and put it on the desk. The special home, search, keyboard and other keys are great (of course, you don't get them on the bluetooth keyboard either).

So, all in all, we've settled for the dock keyboard (FWIW)

all the best

Tex

Subscriber Member
Jono, I agree with your assesment. I have both keyboards but much prefer the docking version. Cheers!

simonclivehughes

I too like this version better, especially for the iPad-specific keys. I really wish, however, that you could mount the iPad horizontally on such a keyboard. For many of the typing-intensive tasks I do, I prefer to use the iPad horizontally.

Cheers,

Diane B

I finally got my Apple case today. What a difference it makes for me. I can type easily and pretty fast even in my lap with leg crossed or feet up or for sure at table. Watching a video is much nicer and reading more natural in portrait like a book or in landscape with the tilt. I have my doubts now if I need a keyboard but suspect if I buy one if will be the dock/charger for all the reasons others have given. This or something like it is really the accessory to have for the Ipad-- not for the cover and safekeeping but to add to the usability.

monza

I got my dodocase on Saturday, and like it a lot. :) I still have the Apple case as well, and will use both depending on the circumstance.

Godfrey

I got my dodocase on Saturday, and like it a lot. :) I still have the Apple case as well, and will use both depending on the circumstance.
Interesting case ... I like the classic design, like the Moleskine notebooks. Their video on how they manufacture it is also interesting.

Terry

Adding PDF's to iBooks. Great for Camera Manuals.

The functionality is now available and works well. I just downloaded my user manuals from my cameras to both the iPad and the iPhone. Reading them on the iPhone isn't nearly as nice as the iPad.

To do it:
1. Drag the PDF to books (along the left hand side margin in iTunes
2. Make sure when you plug in your iPad/iPhone/iPod that you set it to synch the books.

Last edited:

Terry

anyone try using the pad as a car nav gps unit?
As the driver, no. As the navigator, yes. The iPhone you can hold or put on a dashboard stand. The iPad is too big to handle in the same way. As navigator it was great and easy to show the driver what they were going to do.

jonoslack

Adding PDF's to iBooks. Great for Camera Manuals.

The functionality is now available and works well. I just downloaded my user manuals from my cameras to both the iPad and the iPhone. Reading them on the iPhone isn't nearly as nice as the iPad.

To do it:
1. Drag the PDF to books (along the left hand side margin in iTunes
2. Make sure when you plug in your iPad/iPhone/iPod that you set it to synch the books.
Hmm - I've been managing books manually (dropping them on the iPAD). This doesn't seem to work with .pdf files (they don't drag) . . . any ideas (if I click on sync books it says it'll destroy all my music etc. on the iPad.

all the best

Terry

Hmm - I've been managing books manually (dropping them on the iPAD). This doesn't seem to work with .pdf files (they don't drag) . . . any ideas (if I click on sync books it says it'll destroy all my music etc. on the iPad.

all the best
I got a message like that for my iPhone but I had recently changed which computer I synched with so after a slight pause, I did the synch and it was fine. On the iPad, I had no issue. Are you synching with the same computer you usually use?

jonoslack

I got a message like that for my iPhone but I had recently changed which computer I synched with so after a slight pause, I did the synch and it was fine. On the iPad, I had no issue. Are you synching with the same computer you usually use?
Silly me - I had downloaded the new version of iBooks on my computer, but not synced it with the iPad. Interestingly, you can now just drop pdf files onto the ipad - no need to sync all books.

Hooray!

all the best

Terry

Silly me - I had downloaded the new version of iBooks on my computer, but not synced it with the iPad. Interestingly, you can now just drop pdf files onto the ipad - no need to sync all books.

Hooray!

all the best
What do you mean by "drop" are you using dropbox or emailing them to your self?

stephengilbert

I just discovered that you can sync through GoodReader and deliver files to your iPad by WIFI. You guys knew this, right? Once you've set up the connection, you have an iPad folder on your computer into which you can drag docs or photos which then pop up on the iPad. Very cool.

jonoslack

What do you mean by "drop" are you using dropbox or emailing them to your self?
HI Terry
No No - nothing esoteric (did try emailing, but the Aperture manual was too big :)).

I have book syncronisation turned off. . . . I import the pdf files (and books) to itunes - then you can drag them from the browser in itunes and drop them on the ipad. Just as you would if you manually manage music (for me a must with 160Gb music!).

iBooks does a better job with pdf files than airsharing, but it doesn't show the content pages.

We are all in a fluster around here . . . . Silas' iphone 4 order says 'deliver on the 24th' mine only says 'ship by the 24th'. There could be a crisis at work!