The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

IPad Discussions

Diane B

I just discovered that you can sync through GoodReader and deliver files to your iPad by WIFI. You guys knew this, right? Once you've set up the connection, you have an iPad folder on your computer into which you can drag docs or photos which then pop up on the iPad. Very cool.
I read about it but haven't tried it. Thanks for telling us how it works.

stephengilbert

Thanks for telling us how it works.

I'm not sure I told you how it works; just that it works. But I followed the instructions on the GoodReader site and it did work. Now I'm not sure that I'll ever use it since if I'm in range of my WIFI connection I can just use a cable, but GoodReader offers some interesting options for downloading to the iPad.

Diane B

Love the ability to dl pdfs to Ibooks. I neglected to update to 9.2 in my haste and it would not install them but after that it was as easy as anything else. I tried a few epub books from manybooks.net also. All good. Still not entirely sure what Jono is doing but this was certainly easy as adding music to my Touch.

I had to look around for a pdf of my 5D manual but found one and love having all my manuals on the Ipad where it's easy to read and search. I may add them to the Touch for reference in the field. I haven't upgraded it to. OS4 yet.

I keep finding more reasons to love my Ipad.

MoJo

Registred Users
Erm? .... Jono has invented a new phrase.... Anyway, i mentioned this on the other IPad app thread, but here is some news.....My new Photo App, "Magical Celtic Lands HD," for IPad, IPhone, and IPod Touch, is now available on ITunes!
Preview here....... http://tiny.cc/ilfqd

this app features my entire Irish and Scottish Islands series, and it displays beautifully on the IPad!

Let's use the IPad and ITunes to get our best work around the world!

I think the IPad is the best vehicle to distribute our finest work.....

Diane B

Ipad for reading ebooks from library

I don't often get bent out of shape about things but I am very annoyed about the fact that the Ipad can't be used to read ebooks from most of the digital libraries in the US despite the fact that most are available in ePUB and pdf formats. I read a lot and have a household full of books so for the last number of years have opted to use the library for fiction and some non-fiction. I have bought books for both my KIndle and Barnes and Noble apps (my favorite) and also have Stanza and Kobe, both of which will read the formats plus the Goodreader pdf reader. But, it appears that the use of the service, Overdrive, which requires using the Adobe Digital Edition (DRM), means that there's no (legal) way to get those books onto the Ipad or Iphone. I've registered a complaint with my libraries and hope they pass it along to the Digital library but for now, it appears we just can't borrow ebooks from the libraries for now unless you have a Barnes and Noble Nook or the Sony reader or are willing to read on your laptop, which I'm not, nor wil I buy a dedicated reader when I'm quite happy with the Ipad for a reader.

I'm guessing that most here aren't concerned about the issue and buy their books, but if I bought every book I read I'd be broke and I really don't need a lot of them on the Ipad after one reading. I just try to keep a couple of bought books on each month, but I sure would like to borrow those books available from the library.

I also think there's a possible chance for some businesses that rent ebooks much as Itunes rents movies. I'd pay a subsciption fee for the ability to rent a number of books a month or year.

jonoslack

Re: Ipad for reading ebooks from library

I also think there's a possible chance for some businesses that rent ebooks much as Itunes rents movies. I'd pay a subsciption fee for the ability to rent a number of books a month or year.
Hi Diane
I do agree . . . wish I had enough time not to be able to afford to buy the books I read though :cry:

I'm sure this will come, whether through itunes or elsewhere.

In the meantime, one of the really nice things is the ready availability of Gutenberg press books on ibooks for free - maybe it's the time to re-read the classics whilst you're waiting for this to come on line.

all the best.

Diane B

Re: Ipad for reading ebooks from library

Hi Diane
I do agree . . . wish I had enough time not to be able to afford to buy the books I read though :cry:

I'm sure this will come, whether through itunes or elsewhere.

In the meantime, one of the really nice things is the ready availability of Gutenberg press books on ibooks for free - maybe it's the time to re-read the classics whilst you're waiting for this to come on line.

all the best.
Hi Jono,

Yes, I do think it will come and I actually do have a number of the free books from the Gutenberg press in my several apps (including Ibooks where I haven't found the books I have wanted to buy and thus have bought from Amazon or B & N) What I'm annoyed with I guess is that all the digital libraries (or most as far as I could determine--meaning city, county, state free public libraries ) got sucked into this Overdrive thing and it has been selective from the beginning. I can't fault them for not seeing the Ipad coming but they don't seem to be thinking now how to even get books onto any of the readers except those that will also adopt the Adobe software which also means that you have to have Flash (though I'm wondering if that's only needed to do the initial download to your main computer where you can port it to other, though few, devices). They mainly see people reading on their computers and I don't think that's viable at all now. As soon as the Kindle and Sony came out and then the Nook from B & N people started seeing reading an ebook in a different way I think.

jonoslack

Hi Diane
I'm afraid I'm perhaps a little naughtier than you . . . in so far as I feel that if I've paid for it I'm going to read it in what I damn well want to read it in!
iBooks does well with epub books in general, so i do what seems necessary . . . . .
neeenahneeenahneenah.

hang on a sec . . .there seems to be someone at the door.

Diane B

Hi Diane
I'm afraid I'm perhaps a little naughtier than you . . . in so far as I feel that if I've paid for it I'm going to read it in what I damn well want to read it in!
iBooks does well with epub books in general, so i do what seems necessary . . . . .
neeenahneeenahneenah.

hang on a sec . . .there seems to be someone at the door.
LOL. I understand, but of course I haven't paid for these. When they are on loan it is usually for 2 weeks and a possibility of renewing for a second week. After that time they disappear from your computer.

olaf

Hi
A couple of questions re uploading photos from my iPad to my desktop Mac. Any advice would be appreciated.

1. When I upload via iPhoto, it only 'sees' and transfers the jpegs not the RAW files. But the thumbnail on the iPad states 'RAW + jpeg". And if I use Adobe Bridge it imports both versions just fine.

2. I really want to upload directly into Capture One Pro but I can't get the software to recognise that the iPad is connected. So the 'import images' dialogue box doesn't help.

Has anyone found workarounds (without jail breaking) for these issues?
Thanks for your time.

stephengilbert

Diane,

Overdrive has announced that they "will release a series of apps that will combine eBooks, audiobooks, and interactive and multimedia content into one user-friendly application. The apps will be available for both mobile and desktop operating systems, including ... iPhone®, iPad®, AndroidTM, Windows Mobile®, and BlackBerry®. Millions of end users will benefit from a single software solution for all OverDrive-supplied content, as well as on-the-go access to eBooks from OverDrive-powered library and retail catalogs."

http://overdrive.com/aboutus/getArticle.aspx?newsArticleID=20100519

Diane B

Diane,

Overdrive has announced that they "will release a series of apps that will combine eBooks, audiobooks, and interactive and multimedia content into one user-friendly application. The apps will be available for both mobile and desktop operating systems, including ... iPhone®, iPad®, AndroidTM, Windows Mobile®, and BlackBerry®. Millions of end users will benefit from a single software solution for all OverDrive-supplied content, as well as on-the-go access to eBooks from OverDrive-powered library and retail catalogs."

http://overdrive.com/aboutus/getArticle.aspx?newsArticleID=20100519
I passed that on to Overdrive support who seemed unaware that they were going to do this. I also passed it on to the head of our county library system who emailed me back yesterday stating I was correct in my understanding and she thought when the Ipad became more common in the general public she thought perhaps OVerdrive might do something. She, too, was unaware, but in her defense, this isn't her area of expertise and I wouldn't expect her to be aware of what was going to happen. Our library systems have their own issues with money/services right now and I expect she is focused on that.

Diane B

Certainly quiet about the software updates for both Ipad and Iphone. I just stumbled on an article about them. The biggest improvement for Ipad seems to be a fix for wifi issues for those having them. (I'm not). Its 3.2.1 for Ipad and 4.0.1 i believe for Iphone.

apicius9

Oh boy, now I have to read through all this. I broke down today and picked one of these thingies up. Still grumbling tha it doesn't have a USB port, but I'll play with it the next few days and hope it will do what I need it to...

Stefan

M

meilicke

Oh boy, now I have to read through all this. I broke down today and picked one of these thingies up. Still grumbling tha it doesn't have a USB port, but I'll play with it the next few days and hope it will do what I need it to...

Stefan
You can get the camera connection kit to get a USB port at will allow cameras Some have reported USB keyboards will also work.

Have fun, they are great devices.

Scott