The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

IPad Discussions

Diane B

Couldn't edit but wanted to correct. I bought Filterstorm, not Photoforge

Yes, thanks Cliff, for your report. I found it really helpful and neglected to say that. I also took your recommendation and added Photo Forge which I like a lot so far.

ustein

Contributing Editor
If I copy images from my folder structure to the iPad it seems iTunes chnages the resolution.

E.g. copy from CameraRoll to my Mac and later export same image back from a folder to the iPad. This results in a smaller image.

Any ideas?

I realized this using PhotoCopier (interesting app by the way)

Diane B

Yes, its been discussed other places that iTunes alters resolution to "fit" the Ipad.

This is off the top of my head but have you considered using Dropbox to bypass iTunes? I hsven't downloaded from Dropbox to Ipad but I've gone the opposite direction-- uploading jpegs and video to Dropbox. Video appears to be compressed from Photos to Dropbox by the Photo app. You can download from Dropbox for offline viewing so it might be worth checking. I keep meaning to try it for computer to Ipad but haven't done it yet

CPWarner

Uwe, if you are using Lightroom, could you export to your iPad using Lightroom? I have not tried it, but since Lightroom recognizes the file structure of the iPad it might work.

Cliff

Well, I tried it and it does not work. My iPad does not show up in the file structure when I try to export with Lightroom. That is a shame...

Last edited:

Diane B

Another tip I just came across. Can't vouch for its credibility until I try it but.... Supposedly the optimal size to upload to the Ipad is 2034 x 1536. He said it allows one to tap and double the resolution in zoom. Also said anything larger will be downsized. I'm going to try 2 ways to upload from Lightroom exports--through iTunes and by Dropbox but use this size.

Diane B

I only tried the one method. Its so easy I didn't bother going through iTunes. I used Dropbox at 2034 x 1536. The detail at the tapped zoom seems fine.

You lose your folder structure working this way if you view offline but I've become happy enough with Photo Sort for now I don't mind. I dled Dropbox to my main computer, made a folder within the photo folder, dragged my exported LR files to it. I opened the Dropbox app on the Ipad, dled to the Photo app. I made a folder in Photo Sort and uploaded to it and deleted them from the Photo Saved folder. If you view your Dropbox folder online the folder structure will be as you exported from LR.

Hope this is helpful to some.

clark666

Not sure of "erm" LOL. but 3 million Ipads were sold in 80 days according to Apple. Glad I was one of them (not one of the Ipads but one of the buyers *smile*)
I bought AAPL stock so I am happy. Now I feel obligated to buy an iPAD, and I can afford to. So, which model? Is there any reason to get more than 16GB? I don't have a large music library and I plan to download photos to my laptop

Diane B

I bought AAPL stock so I am happy. Now I feel obligated to buy an iPAD, and I can afford to. So, which model? Is there any reason to get more than 16GB? I don't have a large music library and I plan to download photos to my laptop
I bought the 64GB because I anticipated uploading photos. I have a lot of apps, a good number of books which take very little room and still have most free. I bought my husband the 32gb and that seems maybe the optimal size if you won't put music on it (mine is all on Touch and old Classic Ipod) still giving you plenty of room for rental movies, etc. We'll see what others say.

clay stewart

Does anyone upload pics to their Pbase or Smugmug account, with the iPad? If so, I was wondering how is it done and if there are any pointers to doing it. Thanks a bunch.:)

Diane B

I have a longtime Pbase account but know of no way to upload from the Ipad. I wouldn't anyhow because i really would like to work from a RAW in LR first. However you can upload to Flickr from Photogene (I need to check about Filterstorm) and that's what I'll use for quick forum sharing. My Flickr account is a free one but sufficient enough for that purpose. Something strikes me that there might be a Smugmug app but I'll have to check. I know that an app has been requested for Pbase but I'm not holding my breath.

Just checked and there is a Smugmug app but its just for viewing, not uploading AFAI could tell. I do that with my Pbase on Safari now. However you can dl an image to your Photo app on the Ipad for offline viewing.

Last edited:

clay stewart

Thanks Diane. I was wanting a way to upload pics to my PAD, while on a long backpacking trip, so I was hoping the iPad might be a lighter weight solution, than a laptop, which I think might be more than I can bare at this point.:)

Diane B

Clay, are you meaning to just upload for backup? I'd be comfortable to use my Ipad for backup and viewing/culling while carrying enough cards to upload to my main computer when I got back

I don't know where you are backpacking but in our mountains I can't even pick up our Verizon carrier most of the time let alone AT&T so I wonder if you would be able to
get a strong enough signal to upload even to Flickr.

clay stewart

Clay, are you meaning to just upload for backup? I'd be comfortable to use my Ipad for backup and viewing/culling while carrying enough cards to upload to my main computer when I got back

I don't know where you are backpacking but in our mountains I can't even pick up our Verizon carrier most of the time let alone AT&T so I wonder if you would be able to
get a strong enough signal to upload even to Flickr.
Hi Diane, I wanted to be able to upload everyday or most days and I think around here I can get AT&T signal most places(they say). I'm not too concerned about storage, but being able to use the iPad for that would be an added bonus.

Diane B

A tip I just came upon to delete multiple sequential photos a bit more easily. It isn't the beall/endall but its much quicker than tapping multiple thumbs. You select the curved arrow icon in top right to be able to do multiple deletes. You touch and hold the first photo to be deleted and then slide your finger across the line of thumbs, then down, back across, down, across, etc to the last one you wish to delete. You will see the blue check appear on each thumb as you do this and the red delete button top left will show the total files to be deleted. Just touch the delete button, confirm that you want to delete the number of files and they are gone. I was able to select a number of files really quickly using this method and deleted all.

clark666

Thanks, it says it is compatible with Word 97-2003 (.doc) and google dox. Officelive uses the latest Word file formats and can be used online without having the software on the computer. I just can't find any support from Apple or Officelive as to whether Safari is compatible with officelive. I guess I could buy an iPAD or wait for a windows 7 tablet?

Diane B

Just a thought. I have no idea how you want or need to use a tablet but The combo of Office HD and Dropbox, quick and easy, I can access my Office files and work with them from any of my computers anywhere, offline or on.

Its difficult to explain usage without actually having an Ipad. You might also like box.net app. There are 2 interesting demo videos of it in use in a corporate environment.
http://sites.box.net/ipadsforbusiness/. I have both Dropbox snd box.net--both free apps, but use Dropbox

I don't know about "current" Words file. i can open anything I've received as attachment thus far. I don't know about a Win 7 tablet. I'm a longtime PC person but I won't buy a win tablet LOL.

Last edited: