The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

IPad Discussions

Don Libby

Don,

As one of the Our Gang kids used to say, "I don't think you can do it."

It's my understanding that you can't tether a BlackBerry without using the BlackBerry Desktop Software, and RIM hasn't made that available for the iPad.

If you go for the 3G version of the iPad, you can switch the cellular coverage on and off by the month as needed -- directly from your iPad. So if you're stuck somewhere without Wi-Fi, assuming there's AT&T coverage (even 2G), you could turn it on for 30 days.

I just checked the Apple website, because the plans have changed since I bought my 3G iPad. Currently, the two monthly plans are $14.99 for 250MB or $25 for 2GB.
I've looked at the iPad at a local Best Buy a couple days ago and like it. However I currently need something more in the line of a full computer/tablet and decided to go with a Toshiba Portege tablet "for now". With this I can connect to my BB and have full internet access as well as have some of the same functions as the iPad. I also looked a little closer and see that Dell will be coming out later this year with a larger screen similar to the iPad then again there's always the Sahara slate. I just need something that will fill the gap while I'm traveling between my large 17" laptop and my full blown studio computer - currently the Toshiba is that. Then again I am a self confessed gear slut and that iPad does look good even if it currently doesn't support the BB.

Don

Diane B

Well, this is an odd one, but I saw it on TUAW and it looked like just the thing I need. Its called 'Propmeup' snd there's a video that shows its uses. It should help reading in bed or sitting in chair, typing, etc. We'll see. I ordered one and I've lost more on dumber things LOL
http://propupstore.com/

M

meilicke

A tip I just came upon to delete multiple sequential photos a bit more easily. It isn't the beall/endall but its much quicker than tapping multiple thumbs. You select the curved arrow icon in top right to be able to do multiple deletes. You touch and hold the first photo to be deleted and then slide your finger across the line of thumbs, then down, back across, down, across, etc to the last one you wish to delete. You will see the blue check appear on each thumb as you do this and the red delete button top left will show the total files to be deleted. Just touch the delete button, confirm that you want to delete the number of files and they are gone. I was able to select a number of files really quickly using this method and deleted all.
Excellent! Thank you Diane.

-Scott

Diane B

Follow up. Though the Propmeup is strange looking it does what I wanted quite nicely. I no longer hold the Ipad at all when I'm sitting in a chair reading or watching a movie. Its nice on a table or desk too when typing whether onscreen ir with my bluetooth keyboard. YMMV. It it was $25 well spent for me. It fits tightly with the Apple case and really easy snap in/out with Ipad 'naked'.

Diane

Well, this is an odd one, but I saw it on TUAW and it looked like just the thing I need. Its called 'Propmeup' snd there's a video that shows its uses. It should help reading in bed or sitting in chair, typing, etc. We'll see. I ordered one and I've lost more on dumber things LOL
http://propupstore.com/

Joseph Ramos

Workshop Member
Anyone else having the problem? When I go to sites, including DPI and the iPad tries to load images from the page some load and some do not.
Thanks

M

meilicke

Anyone else having the problem? When I go to sites, including DPI and the iPad tries to load images from the page some load and some do not.
Thanks
No, not me. Try to power off and back on (hold the power button until you get a slider to power off).

Scott

Diane B

Yes, I've had that issue from the beginning with getdpi and a few long photo threads in Fred Miranda. If the thread is long with lots of images the last ones are iffy. I saw it suggested on several Mac forums that this was a lack of available memory. Just repeating. I know in shorter threads all images load. If you reload the thread, different ones may not load.

I have no problem with galleries loading OTOH. My Pbase galleries load fine and I can't remember having an issue with anyone's gallery unless it was flash, only forums.

M

meilicke

Yes, I've had that issue from the beginning with getdpi and a few long photo threads in Fred Miranda. If the thread is long with lots of images the last ones are iffy. I saw it suggested on several Mac forums that this was a lack of available memory. Just repeating. I know in shorter threads all images load. If you reload the thread, different ones may not load.

I have no problem with galleries loading OTOH. My Pbase galleries load fine and I can't remember having an issue with anyone's gallery unless it was flash, only forums.
Diane, now that you describe it like that, I have seen that problem, but never attributed the problem specifically to the pad. Maybe my wife will be OK with an 11 inch MacBook air to solve this? :D

Scott

Diane B

Diane, now that you describe it like that, I have seen that problem, but never attributed the problem specifically to the pad. Maybe my wife will be OK with an 11 inch MacBook air to solve this? :D

Scott
I don't kniw what your wife views but I haven't found it an issue. They have to be long threads with lots and lots of images. When I hit a thread here that I'm dying to see the images I check it out next time I boot my desktop or laptop. The big culprits here for me are the m4/3 image thread and one if the MF image threads, very long, lots of images. The only other place I see this is a VERY long thread on FM (the bokeh thread LOL). Of course this is just my viewing habitss

I honestly haven't used my laptop since I got my Ipad in May. I found good apps for Office, use Dropbox/cloud for any files I want to share between computers and do almost everything except process in Lightroom on the
Ipad. I use the Office apps or Goodreader to organize and many of the apps I use are Dropbox compatible now. The only issue i have at all is the issue stated above. I've found I can easily live without Flash LOL.

Ah, but looking at your post again I think I see a bit of a hidden agenda there LOL.

OlliL

I have (had) the same problem on several sites.

"Fixed" it by setting the forum to a maximum of 5 posts per page.
Lot of flipping pages, but I can see the pics now ;-)

Terry

It isn't only limited to the ipad....with a very slow connection on a laptop/desktop the same problem exists when there is a ton of data on the page.

jonoslack

It isn't only limited to the ipad....with a very slow connection on a laptop/desktop the same problem exists when there is a ton of data on the page.
Interestingly, I've never noticed it on the iPAD . . . but I've often noticed it on the laptop.

Diane B

Thanks Olliil, I just set mine for the same and hope that handles it. I don't mind flipping pages as its easier than booting desktop.

Yep, fixed it for me. i could see all the images in the Yosemite workshop threads without waiting to check the ones I missed on my desktop.

Diane

Diane B

I agree about the wireless keyboard.

Thought I would mention this for wifi only Ipad owners. I got an email from Verizon yesterday about their Ipad/myfi bundle which most US folks have heard about. Interesting though that they offer several noncontractual deals, month to month, for those of us that already have wifi Ipads. If we didn't already have a great deal (free mobile hot spot with Palm Pre Plus for 2 yrs) it would interest us with 2 wifi Ipads though we have so many free wifi outlets in my area from DT area to coffee shops and restaurants to libraries to drs. offices and car service shops to retail stores and even our grocery store plus home/office that I'm rarely far from free wifi. We only use mobile for a few travel situations but occasionally have pulled it out for Maps instead of using our GPS.

Just thought I would mention it for those that wouldn't get the email. Bodes well it seems for us in US to get options of more than one carrier.

Diane B

For those who like Lenswork, both the extended version and the print versions are now downloadable and viewable on the Ipad as pdfs. I also loaded into Dropbox for storage after I view the extended version. Thought I would try it to see how zi liked it.