The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Good cheap scanner for B&W and Slides

K

Kewk

I'm looking for a good relatively cheap (less than $200) scanner for black and white film and my old Kodachrome slides. My old Canon FS-4000 was terrible with Kodachrome and not great for B&W (great for color negs).

I'd like to be able to scanner a strip, rather than individual shots.

Any recommendations?

PS-I can't believe to cost of a FS-4000 now on ebay. I would have held onto it if I knew it was a collectors item.

K

Kewk

crickets....

After a little research I think I'll go for the Plustek 7300. $190 and pretty good reviews. I'll report when I get it.

M5-Guy

A bit late after I posted, I looked the OP date :sleep006:

crickets....

After a little research I think I'll go for the Plustek 7300. $190 and pretty good reviews. I'll report when I get it.
I have this one...Great value....
If you get it, a word of advice: It must be turned on and a carrier in place BEFORE you open the software, which must be installed per instructions..Read and follow the steps, or it will not install properly...Current Software Version: 6.6.1r6

here is a scanned BW neg All post done in another software..I only adj the exposure if needed with their software.

XP2 at ISO 100, scanned at 5500dpi, M5/28mm

bensonga

My old Canon FS-4000 was terrible with Kodachrome and not great for B&W (great for color negs).

I'd like to be able to scanner a strip, rather than individual shots.

Any recommendations?

PS-I can't believe to cost of a FS-4000 now on ebay. I would have held onto it if I knew it was a collectors item.
I always wished I could have replaced my Canon FS-2720 with the FS-4000, based on the review from Imaging Resource.

http://www.imaging-resource.com/SCAN/FS4000/FS40A.HTM

How do you like the Plustek 7300 scanner?

Gary

K

Kewk

I went with an Epson V500 for a few reasons. Firstly, amazon went up to $236 from $190-something the day I was going to buy it. I couldn't stomach that, which go me looking into other scanners and found the V500 on B&H for $160.

In addition to being cheaper, I'm glad I got the Epson over the Plustek because:
You can quickly load and scan 12 negatives in a batch.
It does medium format (think I'll get a Yashica TLR)

I read some review saying the V500 doesn't do very good job with 35mm film, but I've been pleasantly surprise. Scanning at 3200 I can easily see the film grain, which is enough detail for me. Compared with my old Canon FS-4000, it does a great job with exposure and very little adjustment is needed in Photoshop.