The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Domke F-5XC Review

mathomas

A few weeks ago, I outgrew my Domke F-5XB (the 'B') by just a bit. I've spent hours perusing bag reviews and was almost positive that there just wasn't a bag for my needs. As it turns out, the Domke F-5XC (the 'C') did the trick. Originally, I just wasn't "getting" the 'C', but with the help of a review on another forum, I could finally see its utility.

First, the 'B'. I used the 'B' to hold the following for a day's shooting:

• Leica M8 + 25/35 lens
  • 25/35 lens
  • 90 lens
  • light meter
  • extra M8 battery
  • cell phone

The 'B' handled this quite well. The problem arose when I added another body a few weeks ago (a Leica M2). You can fit two bodies + lenses + additional lens in the 'B', but it's all way too close for comfort. So, I started shopping for a bag similar to the 'B', but one compartment "wider". Long story short, it doesn't exist in the Domke lineup. Everything else seemed to be deeper or broader.

Deeper seemed goofy to me -- I don't want to stack more stuff up, I want it to be accessible. As I saw it, the 'C' fit into the deeper category, as did the Domke F-803 which everyone seems to love for some reason. Puzzlingly, the 'C' did have this odd little door across the bottom that Domke described as "giving you access to items that have fallen to the bottom". I remember thinking "geez, Domke, if you just made the bag wider rather than deeper, you wouldn't need that door!"

I was bummed about all this until I read a review where someone mentioned that they use one of the bag dividers to split the 'C' into two "stories". That's when the odd little door at the bottom of the 'C' started to make sense (so, Domke, you could have communicated that a bit better!).

So, I bought a 'C' to try out. I split the bag into stories with one divider, and split the bottom floor into three compartments using the other divider. I then used the dividers from my 'B' to divide the top floor. Now everything is golden (except that I probably shouldn't carry this much stuff ).

I can use the 'C' to hold the following:

• Leica M8 + 25/35 lens
  • Leica M2 + 35/50 lens
  • 25/35 lens
  • 35/50 lens
  • 90 lens
  • light meter
  • lens pen
  • extra strap
  • extra M8 battery
  • cell phone

The above weighs exactly 8 lbs, a pretty easy load to shoulder, esp. across the chest.

The 'C' offers the same general features of all Domkes: solid canvas construction, quality zippers, a nice long shoulder strap, a low-profile funky look, etc. I also like the fact that, like the 'B', you can flip the flap over the back of the bag, against your body, and shoot out of the bag pretty easily.

Note: the "waxwear" version of this bag, the 'Z', looks very similar but does not have the lower door for some goofy reason. Keep that in mind if you think the 'C'-style bag might be for you, and find yourself attracted to the wax finish.

M

Mango

Thanks for the very comprehensive review. This looks like the most practical shoulder bag for M cameras.

Maybe I'm getting old, but I find even one M + lens to be more than enough in a shoulder bag (F5XB). Anything more, and I go for a LL Bean backpack. I guess I need to go to the gym more often.

mathomas

Glad you found the review useful. I agree with your thoughts on carrying too much gear. While the 'C' filled with my gear represents a very manageable load, I doubt I'll really carry *all* of it very often. So, the 'C' is a really good storage bag with potential to carry, but the 'B' is the most practical walkaround shoot bag (2 bodies + lenses in my case) for sure.

D

d2mini

Would this fit an ipad (vertically i guess) in the back pocket?

mathomas

Would this fit an ipad (vertically i guess) in the back pocket?
Hmm, I'm not sure, since I don't have an iPad (unfortunately). If I had to bet, I'd say it would, but just barely (going off the published dimensions of each).

D

d2mini

For anyone else interested in carrying an ipad, i decided to order this bag to see for myself, and the ipad does not fit. It just barely fits in the pocket when oriented vertically, but it sticks out the top of the pocket leaving almost half of it exposed.

Decided to get the Domke F-803 to compare and it is a much better fit for anyone wanting to carry an ipad. The ipad fits in the pocket horizontally, fully, with a case, it's a nice loose fit making it easy to take in and out. I was a little worried about the depth of the pockets for a rangefinder kit but it's not bad. The M9 stored vertically only leaves 2 inches of space between it and the top of the bag. Put a little bit of foam padding at the base of the bag for extra protection and you end up with even less.

thrice

If this bag had a belt loop, clip instead of velcro and a regular unzippered opening at the top (hate zips that scratch cameras/lenses) it would be my ideal bag.

dseelig

F5xc
Can one of the bodies have enough room for a viewfinder attached? Can a 90 mm lens fit below . Can you change lenses in a hurry out of the bottom compartment without it falling to the ground? Thanks David

mathomas

F5xc
Can one of the bodies have enough room for a viewfinder attached? Can a 90 mm lens fit below . Can you change lenses in a hurry out of the bottom compartment without it falling to the ground? Thanks David
That would be a 90 f2 fit below thanks David
There is room for three compartments above (I had to add my own dividers due to my two-story design. If you create only two compartments, you could fit a body with the VF attached (it's all about the orientation of the camera, combined with how much room you've allowed with the dividers).

I do have a M-Hexanon 90mm below. It fits easily. I don't change lenses in a hurry, but I think the bottom door does a pretty good job of keeping things from falling right out when it's open. It doesn't just flop open -- it's a little stiff. But I'm still pretty careful when I'm switching stuff out, just in case.