The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

iPad Apps

simonclivehughes

For anyone that likes tabbed browsing ala Firefox, try the new browser app, A1 Perfect. I replaced Safari in the dock with this one. So far so good.
Diane,

Did you by chance figure out how to migrate your bookmarks from Safari to it? I have it too but I really hate having to re-input all my bookmarks.

Cheers,

Diane B

Simon, I read the FAQs and thought maybe if launched from Safari it would add the bookmarks but no........ I googled and found a review on Ilounge that says you have to rebuild your bookmarks so.....so much for that.

Scargos2

an app for traviling over seas . A talking translator, type in your message and the app speaks to you. I have not purchased one , but can come in handy come day. Only problem is that you have to be connected to a service .
I just down loaded Google earth, but have not tried it. Going to do it now!

simonclivehughes

I'm really disappointed with the Office apps on iPad so far. I have both the latest Docs to Go and QuickOffice but neither are really ready for prime time. QuickOffice is the prettiest but is fails to load even moderate Excel files and graphics don't show up in Word docs. They all seem to loose formatting too, which is a pain.

I'm most impressed with the iWork suite but again, it has some limitations and downright silly omissions. In Keynote, for example, you can't switch themes, nor can you do any hyperlinking.

I can't understand why Microsoft doesn't step up and code some apps themselves. After all there is an Office for Mac.

Ah well, wishful thinking, I suppose.

Ciao,

Terry

Two new Apps.....
Photo Transfer - seems fast and very good. essentially can move photos between iPad/iPhone and computer very easily. I uploaded a shot from my laptop to my iPad without the camera connection kit or synching. I also went in the other direction moving multiple photos at once. Dropped them into a folder on my laptop. I will play around with this more but looks promising and very easy.

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/photo-transfer-app/id365152940

a review:

http://www.padgadget.com/2010/06/16/photo-transfer-for-ipad-app-review/

Also, used the new find my iPhone app. I guess the new news here is if you have multiple devices or you are out with friends that have Apple devices you can use this App to find a lost device without having to find a computer. So, I loaded it on my iPad and signed in and it found my devices. It will find whosever devices that logs in to their account. You still need a mobile me account to use this but if anything Apple could take out of the mobile me and make free this seems like it could be pretty easy to link to your iTunes account.

MoJo

Registred Users
IPad photo apps..... taking this in a slightly different slant.... I am one of the few in the world (at this point) to have made a Photo App for the IPad.... to showcase our wonderful photos...... Like a photo book, the IPad is a great vehicle for us to display and distribute our work.....My new Photo App, "Magical Celtic Lands HD," for IPad, IPhone, and IPod Touch, is now available on ITunes!
You can preview it here....... http://tiny.cc/ilfqd
I am going to publish more of my series on the Apple Store, (next one will be about the Connemara Pony Shows and Fairs in Ireland) and also will create apps for other photographers.....
Let's use the IPad and ITunes to get our best work around the world!

oh, and Terry, those photos of the Pride Parade were some of the best i have seen you post, very nice portraits of interesting folks! really well done!

Terry

Thanks Joseph. I just downloaded the app. It looks fantastic on my iPad. I've only gone through the shots with a quick glance but wall with those clouds in the background behind the house is amazing.

Well done!

MoJo

Registred Users
thanks terry for the kind words..... if you get a chance, please write me a good review on Itunes..... and pass the word on. I'd love to see more fine-art photo apps out there, i am going to write to steve jobs, (not that he will answer.... ha) asking him to create a "Fine-Art category".

DavidE

My new Photo App, "Magical Celtic Lands HD," for IPad, IPhone, and IPod Touch, is now available on ITunes!
You can preview it here....... http://tiny.cc/ilfqd
I am going to publish more of my series on the Apple Store, (next one will be about the Connemara Pony Shows and Fairs in Ireland) and also will create apps for other photographers.....
Let's use the IPad and ITunes to get our best work around the world
Josef,

I downloaded your app yesterday for my iPad. The photos are wonderful. I sat with my wife, and we slowly paged through the entire series. The Aran islands seem to be much the same as they were when Robert Flaherty visited them in the early 1930s.

Also, the presentation is excellent -- just enough text to provide the necessary information without getting in the way of the images.

One question: Why did you decide to place it in the entertainment section rather than the photography section?

MoJo

Registred Users
David: thanks for the kind words. you know, the landscape is the same, and inishman is still sort of remote-feeling. but folks don't wear the traditional dress anymore, they have tv's, a few even ride scooters around. it is a unique place. Inisheer is a party island on the weekends now for the teenagers, coming over from the mainland. don't visit in august!

as for the categories, i will change the category every month or so, shuffle it around. from what i have heard, it doesn't seem to make a difference in actuality.

and if you could paste those kind words in as a review on itunes, that would help my sales efforts ;-)

-Josef

Diane B

Has anyone tried the Goodreader app? I kept reading about it but felt I didn't need it since I can read pdfs in Ibook. I found there is quite a bit more you can do with it so decided to try it---cheap enough right now. I found I can just dl a pdf from the web directly (dled my 5D manual as demo) and really easily. That's worth it just for that but its much nicer to use than Ibooks IMO.

I need to read the help carefully and then work with it for awhile but it certainly seems worth recommending from just what I know so far.

Diane B

Another interesrting app. For anyone that does a lot of notetaking in various genres, so to speak (math, music, graphic, etc) or just simple notetaking or writing this one holds a lot of promise. It shouod be terrific for anyone in school. It offers text, handwritten, audio, save to pdfs and more, email. Many papers to choose that are very specific to needs and a lot of widgets
http://mysmartnote.net/

MoJo

Registred Users
Has anyone tried the Goodreader app? I kept reading about it but felt I didn't need it since I can read pdfs in Ibook. I found there is quite a bit more you can do with it so decided to try it---cheap enough right now. I found I can just dl a pdf from the web directly (dled my 5D manual as demo) and really easily. That's worth it just for that but its much nicer to use than Ibooks IMO.

I need to read the help carefully and then work with it for awhile but it certainly seems worth recommending from just what I know so far.
I have this app, and it works really well for pdf's. easy to synch with, no complaints so far....

M

meilicke

Has anyone found a good way to organize photos after importing them with the camera kit? I am thinking of the case when you are traveling with just the pad and cameras, and want to organize on the road. I can import photos into goodreader and do it there, but then I have double up on the photos.

-Scott

Scargos2

I think we are all waiting for a great app to edit and organize our pictures. Come on Adobe or Google we need it.