The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

iPad Apps

A simple, elegant app with some great photography. Thank you Uwe. It looks great on my iPad. I look forward to showing off your work to friends.

M

meilicke

Thanks Diane, it looks promising I think, but based on the reviews seems a bit unstable.

One of the weaknesses that all of these apps seem to suffer from is what to do with the imported photos in Apple's Photos app once the photos have been imported into a third party app. Currently you can delete them one by one, but that grows old in a hurry.

Another app in the store, Sort Shots, looks OK too. It does not use folders/albums, but relies upon keywords exclusively. I am good with that, but I suspect a lot of people like the whole folder/album design.

Scott

DavidE

LightTrac for the iPad is currently available for free on iTunes. The price is normally $5.99.

Since it's described as a "free limited time offer," you may want to download it as soon as possible. I've used it on my 3G version of the iPad. I don't know if it requires the 3G version, but at this price, it might be worth trying on a Wi-Fi iPad.

Here's a link to load the app page in iTunes: http://appadvice.com/link/363963108.

apicius9

Does anybody have a recommendation for a nice progranm to take notes with a stylus? I have tried the following:

- Notepad pro: Very slow and very edgy writing, not many options.

- Penultimate: Good if you 'just' want to take notes, best and smoothest capture of the handwriting but very few options (e.g. no audio). Best feature: recognizes the palm on the glass.

- Smartnote: Has tons of options, some of them actually useful, writing is o.k. but it can't handle the palm on the screen very well. Drives me mad because stylus sometimes moves page around instead of writing, much less sensitive than Penultimate. But: basic recognition of handwriting as a bonus.

Any alternatives that I should look at? Oh, and any experiences with a stylus for te Ipad? I have a Pogo Sketch and find the tip annoyingly thick.

Thanks,

Stefan

Diane B

I haven't found anything better than Smartnote. I've tried several and it generally works the best of all of them for me. The only time I had an issue with the page moving with the stylus was when I failed to click on the "create" button after drawing the palm area. Otherwise the page has stayed stable. I have the Pogo Sketch also and set the black pen to the finest (1) and save it. Its as fine as I write in real life. I read somewhere when I was searching for a good notetaking app that if your screen has greasy fingerprints a harder rubber stylus works better but I've only tried the Sketch and am happy enough with it.

There are a number of these apps but I just haven't found snything better all around. BTW if you have issues you might email the developer. I had a question and he responded almost immediately. There's also a pretty good pdf help available.

DavidE

Stumbled on an iPad app (Annamika) that lets you create kaleidoscope images from your photos. It creates a slowly evolving animation. When you see something interesting, you can snap a screenshot and e-mail it to yourself.

Here's a link to the app: http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/annamika/id382103285?mt=8.

And here are the results using two photos I had previously saved to my iPad.

T

tokengirl

I just downloaded Camera For iPad, which uses bluetooth to transfer images from your iPhone to your iPad. It also enables you to shoot tethered to the iPad, see photo below.

Also, I found some free iBooks that may be of interest: Pictorial Photography in America - there are 3 issues available. 1920, 1921 and 1922 issues. They each contain some stunning photos.

Diane B

Not photo related but possibly useful for those that need a word processor or spreadsheet app. I'm a PC kinda person so this is particularly nice for me. I was trying to solve a problem for a friend with an Ipad and found this Office2HD
http://www.bytesquared.com/products/office/ipad/default.asp

For my needs these days this will suffice for a lot of things, esp. with a BT keyboard. Folders too, unlike Pages which I wish I hadn't bought. This is much like Word and Excel
and though not totally full featured would serve the needs of many of us. Lots of features like file sharing, insertion of graphics, email as pdf or doc, etc. Opens mail attachments. Worth every penny of $7.99 to me.

Diane

ustein

Contributing Editor
Stumbled on an iPad app (Annamika) that lets you create kaleidoscope images from your photos. It creates a slowly evolving animation. When you see something interesting, you can snap a screenshot and e-mail it to yourself.
Great idea. Ideal for my Texture Blending:

Terry

Uwe, that texture is superb. I haven't figured out if you can get a high resolution screen capture from Annamika because I haven't brought one into LR yet. What are you finding?

ustein

Contributing Editor
Uwe, that texture is superb. I haven't figured out if you can get a high resolution screen capture from Annamika because I haven't brought one into LR yet. What are you finding?
You are limited to the screen resolution. Too bad. Still very interesting.

The texture I used was based on an own image.

Diane B

Uwe, love both of those *smile*. You've added one of your lovely textures to the second and it really does make you want to go a little deeper and spend more time with it.