The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

iPad Apps

MoJo

Registred Users
gosh, that looks like great fun. i just downloaded the app.
I have always loved mandalas!

clark666

http://theonlinephotographer.typepad.com/the_online_photographer/blog_index.html

couldn't seem to find a backup program in the App Store, so I posted an innocent query asking if anyone knew of a real backup program for the iPad to the Apple Discussions group. Two surprises. First, there is no backup program for the iPad. Oh, my.

Second, a substantial number of users couldn't imagine why I would even need a backup program! Okay, I understand being a podhead (in contrast to gearhead), but apparently that understanding is not reciprocated. Several folks even took me to task for not using the iPad in the "proper" way.

Terry

When you synch your iPad with iTunes on your computer (pshyically plug it in) iTunes will actually make a backup. You can restore your iPad from that backup. So perhaps you were taken to task because you really needn't worry about making backups or finding an app if you regularly synch your iPad.

CPWarner

I have noted that a few people have mentioned Photogene. a few others:

PhotoForge is good at processing

Filterstorm has a great B&W conversion.

Someone already mentioned LightTrac. It is a cool program. It struggles with wifi connection as I think it uses the 3G connection for location data.

TideGraph HD is useful if you are at a location where tides are important. good for planning.

Cliff

Diane B

I have a friend who asks me for tech help. Since her needs are for using in her work I learned a lot more about productivity apps than I would have otherwise. Dropbox or box.net are extremely useful. Goodreader has been mentioned a number of times. We're PC folks so Office2HD is terrific, mail2groups for group mailings, i like Smartnotes for notebooks with lots of great options, Tinker for using to add handwritten notes to printscreens for graphic tutes.

A tip I read today which is nice for those of us that would like to have music or news while working in another app (knowing that we will get that with 4.0 upgrade). Browse to a station that streams live in Safari. Choose whatever choice for streaming--an itunes or mp3 choice works best, let it load and then go out of app and move to another. I used it today up at the pool to listen to my favorite NPR station and then worked with Photogene. Streamed fine.

CPWarner

One app that I have been playing with is cropulator. All it does is cropping, but it has a greet feature in that it shows you the pixel size of the cropped image at all times. That is a nice feature.

DavidE

PhotoArtistaHD - Oil is a pretty good iPad app for converting your saved photos to painterly images. Not nearly as powerful as Corel's Painter on the PC or Mac, but it's quick and easy.

Have to experiment with the parameters to see if I can lessen the effect and retain more of the sharpness of the original.

Here's a before and after:

And here's the link to the developer's website: http://www.jixipix.com/photo-artista/photo-artista.html.

Terry

Photo Wall is an App that I downloaded yesterday. It is a free for now and allows you to make a collage of photos on your iPad. You can customize the background add text and completely free form layout. Very easy to use and the output (a jpeg) can be saved on iPad emailed or uploaded to places like facebook. I do have a few situations in mind for using it (like sending off a grouping of pictures when traveling or when I don't really want to give out the actual files of the jpegs when emailing off pix (I've done that and been horrified that people used them in books or other ways not befitting the file size I've sent). Here is a quick collage that I did in about 3 minutes this AM.

Also for the iPhone I downloaded a photobooth app that while slow is actually quite fun to use.( slow meaning - it takes a bit of time to take all four photos but you do get time to pose for each shot to make it more interesting). It gives a film strip of four photos just like an old booth. Thumbs up!

Last edited:
When you synch your iPad with iTunes on your computer (pshyically plug it in) iTunes will actually make a backup. You can restore your iPad from that backup. So perhaps you were taken to task because you really needn't worry about making backups or finding an app if you regularly synch your iPad.
I discovered at the Apple Store's Genius Bar that, unfortunately, if there is a system issue, Apple says NOT to restore, that you are only restoring the same corruption (assuming you had backed up after the corruption happened, and now your backup is corrupt). They told me to start from scratch, which is not any fun, especially since I found some of the apps' data are not backed up in any other way other than the itunes backup, so you lose all the data you had entered. I no longer use those apps (PhotoAssist, for one example).