The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

iPad Apps

mjm6

Folks,

I'm looking around at portfolio apps to place a portfolio of images on the iPad... Does anyone have recommendations for two software packages

1. An app that is effectively an excellent portfolio program (that is very user-designed) and can be employed for a fine-art photographer.

2. A software program to develop an app to take a portfolio and turn it into an app for the iPad or possibly also for download to a pc or Mac (more like a slideshow)?

There's lots of good apps that may qualify for question #1, but precious little that i have found discussing the merits of one vs. the other.

#2 seems like a more difficult problem other than web development tools, if they have the proper coding for the iPad.

Thanks,

---michael

MoJo

Registred Users
Hi: I do this for photographers, see my recent article in PDN magazine.... PM me for details.....

-Josef

JPlomley

I'm using FolioBook and have been very pleased. I currently have three portfolios set up using this App. I create my albums in iPhoto after working the images up in LR/PS to 1024 on the long side. Within iPhoto I can sort the images in the order I want (much easier than doing it within the FoilioBook App) and this order is conserved when I load the Album into FolioBook as a Gallery.

Sharokin

Does anyone know a good slideshow app for the iPad since the one built in does not allow images uploaded from Aperture 3/iPhoto to be played based on the file name, instead of date captured?

xpixel

Folks,

I'm looking around at portfolio apps to place a portfolio of images on the iPad... Does anyone have recommendations for two software packages

1. An app that is effectively an excellent portfolio program (that is very user-designed) and can be employed for a fine-art photographer.

2. A software program to develop an app to take a portfolio and turn it into an app for the iPad or possibly also for download to a pc or Mac (more like a slideshow)?

There's lots of good apps that may qualify for question #1, but precious little that i have found discussing the merits of one vs. the other.

#2 seems like a more difficult problem other than web development tools, if they have the proper coding for the iPad.

Thanks,

---michael
Have you checked this:

http://ipadportfolioapp.com/

and this

http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/digitalpublishing/

http://tv.adobe.com/watch/digital-p...n-to-the-digital-magazine-solution-from-adobe

http://tv.adobe.com/watch/digital-publishing/digital-magazine-solution-part-1-single-page-issue

http://tv.adobe.com/watch/digital-publishing/digital-magazine-solution-part-2-multipage-page-issue

Diane B

Does anyone know a good slideshow app for the iPad since the one built in does not allow images uploaded from Aperture 3/iPhoto to be played based on the file name, instead of date captured?
Not a slide shiw app per se but Reel Director which is primarily a video app allows yu to set it up exactly as you wish. Works fine for just slide show.

Two other apps I like have slideshow option also. Collections and Photosort. All 3 allow you to set photos exactly as you wish.

usathyan

The ones I find myself using again and again are:

1. Flipboard
2. Airvideo
3. Netflix
4. Pandora
5. Dropbox
6. Instapaper
7. Evernote
8. Twitter
9. Tripadvisor
10. I havent tried Uwe's tool - but have a feeling that it may be on my list soon.

fultonpics

Mjm6

We put up an app that could easily be converted into a porfolio too, in fact we are sort using it as such. Ours also has text and video, but if you play with the pics you can get an idea. It is free and in iTunes. It is: profile 5 magazine.

stephengilbert

Test drive report on OverDrive and Bluefire Reader apps:

Although the OverDrive app is only an iPhone version, that doesn't matter as it opens your browser as soon as you select your library. Then you can browse for books, and download them to your iPad. My library allows up to three books at a time, but you can "return" them from your iPad when you're done with them.

When the book is downloaded, you're asked where you want to read it, with Bluefire Reader one option. Click, and choose "read now," or "read later," and you've got your book. A really nice feature of Bluefire Reader is the option to read white text on a black background. Much better for reading in a dark room, and it probably uses less power as well.

stephengilbert

Library book update: I logged onto my local library's web page using Safari on the iPad, checked out a book, and downloaded it. Up popped the Open in box with Bluefire as an option. Clicked, and got the Read Now box, and there it was. Didn't use Overdrive at all (unless it was doing something in the background).

Very cool, and easy.

Diane B

Okay, here is a free app. I don't know how useful it would be to a lot of us but I had to try it. Whistlephone, wifi free calls to anywhere in US and very cheap rates to anywhere in world and I think free TO US from rest of world. I just called friend who I had been doing printscreen tute with this morning and called from the Ipad while I was working with app she was having probkem with. Nice and clear from both ends without external mic. Doesn't have to be user to user like Skype.

Diane

Godfrey

I haven't used it on an iPad yet, but I do my slide shows with Keynote on the desktop. Are Keynote files from the desktop transferable to and useable on the iPad?

simonclivehughes

Yes, they are, but dumbed-down versions (some effects don't translate), and you are memory constrained, so presentations need to be kept short.

Cheers,

Terry

A little bit ago I asked about readers for RSS feeds. I solved it differently and so far so good. I opened a twitter account and now follow all the the websites that were on my previous RSS program. All of the tweets include the web page link and on the iPad Twitterific simply will pull up the webpage without having to leave the application.

I think the NYT must tweet every article they print. I guess it can get annoying but I've read a lot more interesting, sometimes offbeat, NYT articles in the last few days than I've read in a couple of years and that is a good thing.

I do have a couple of macs in the apartment and and the notification sound turned on so it does sound like I'm in the rainforest with frequent tweets....but still better than a koo koo clock.

jotloob

Subscriber Member
A little bit ago I asked about readers for RSS feeds. I solved it differently and so far so good. I opened a twitter account and now follow all the the websites that were on my previous RSS program. All of the tweets include the web page link and on the iPad Twitterific simply will pull up the webpage without having to leave the application.

I think the NYT must tweet every article they print. I guess it can get annoying but I've read a lot more interesting, sometimes offbeat, NYT articles in the last few days than I've read in a couple of years and that is a good thing.

I do have a couple of macs in the apartment and and the notification sound turned on so it does sound like I'm in the rainforest with frequent tweets....but still better than a koo koo clock.
Terry

I hate koo koo clocks too , but their sound or noise , I think , is far better than getting tyrannized by notifications from RSS feeds , facebook , youtube , twitter and all the so called modern media .
I want to control what media I use and I hate when media control me .
And I can live very well without all that stuff . Way toooooooo much communication .:poke: