The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

iPad Apps

Diane B

The New York Public Library has created Biblion, an app that accesses their great collection. Still downloading, 45 minutes to go, but it looks worth a try. See http://www.theatlantic.com/technolo...-build-the-magazine-app-of-the-future/239107/

The first edition deals with the 1939 New York World's Fair.

It's free. http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/nypl-biblion-worlds-fair/id433418206?mt=8&ls=1
Terrific. Enjoying just starting through it---- lots of content. My DL only took a few minutes though--*:confused: Thanks for the link.

Diane

Diane B

Thanks. i've been using Atomic or Icab with tabbing and they both seem faster than Safari but I'll check this one out also.

Godfrey

Snap seed is indeed quite a nice image processor!

Ricoh GXR + A12 50mm f/2.5
ISO 1000 @ f/3.2 @ 1/50 second
Processed in Snapseed on iPad 2

This one is an experiment this morning shooting with the GXR and doing all processing, etc, on the iPad while at the cafe. A little different from my usual workflow...

Terry

I downloaded and played a bit with Snapseed. I like it as well. Interesting I used to like Photogene and they've added so much stuff it isn't as intuitive anymore.

Diane B

Snap seed is indeed quite a nice image processor!

Ricoh GXR + A12 50mm f/2.5
ISO 1000 @ f/3.2 @ 1/50 second
Processed in Snapseed on iPad 2

This one is an experiment this morning shooting with the GXR and doing all processing, etc, on the iPad while at the cafe. A little different from my usual workflow...
Nice Godfrey. i like Snapseed quite a lot too. I used both Photogene and Filterstorm (which has masking) but am using this more.

Diane

Godfrey

I downloaded and played a bit with Snapseed. I like it as well. Interesting I used to like Photogene and they've added so much stuff it isn't as intuitive anymore.
PhotoGene does some things that are great, but what was making me a little crazy with it was trying to rotate an image precisely. As soon as I lifted my finger, the setting I reached jumped somewhere. Snapseed has a much better UI and does a lot of stuff well ... but not everything.

Not that I'm thinking of doing major image processing work on the iPad, but it's nice to have decent tools for when it is useful. At least these apps are pretty inexpensive.

Diane B

I agree about the rotation in Photogene and having good tools on Ipad at times--esp when traveling. Also agree about the inexpensiveness of them. Think what the Nik plugins for PS cost.

Godfrey

Bamboo Paper by Wacom

Wacom has made what feels like a pre-release of their "Bamboo Paper" ink app available free until the end of the month. They're doing it, I'm sure, to get feedback, get people excited about it, and promote their high-end stylus, but you don't really need the stylus to use it.

It's a simplistic app but the pen-and-ink feel is about the best I've found so far. Very smooth and easy to draw and write with. I'm quite taken with using it and will likely go for one of the stylus too ... so the Capitalist Bastids have succeeded. ;-)

I sent in my feedback and hope that the for-pay version of the app adds the three or four small improvements I suggested.

Diane B

For space junkies

The NASA Ipad app has streaming of space launch today for those interested. You can watch on TV but if you are working this is great way to keep up with it.

Diane

Diane B

I love PDF converter linked to by Terri a few days ago (in reference to Godfrey's post above). I've used it several times and find it just great in combo with Goodreader--or Ibooks, though I usually like Goodreader because I can make notes, underline, etc.

Another very straightforward minimalistic writing app is Plain Text and it is uploadable to Dropbox. Any app that allows Dropbox gets a plus from me.

Diane

Godfrey

I love PDF converter linked to by Terri a few days ago (in reference to Godfrey's post above). I've used it several times and find it just great in combo with Goodreader--or Ibooks, though I usually like Goodreader because I can make notes, underline, etc.

Another very straightforward minimalistic writing app is Plain Text and it is uploadable to Dropbox. Any app that allows Dropbox gets a plus from me.

Diane
I believe Clean Writer also allows DropBox access. Just haven't used that yet.