The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

iPad Apps

Diane B

I would concur with Godfrey on most of these. I"d suggest looking at Noteshelf also. It really has the smoothest handwriting of any of similar apps and I use it and Notability a bit differently. I'd add Filterstorm to the photo apps--its PS like with layers if you like and a lot more. Phraseology is another to consider with Simplenote. To be truthful I try to use apps that are integrated or sync with Dropbox. For almost two years I've used Office2 HD for my office suite and I still like it but after repeated requests to the developer for syncing to Dropbox (it is integrated but doesn't automatically sync) and it not happening I bought Quickoffice which works very well.

There are many more apps, easy utility ones and more complex with specific uses. Ask as you find a need and I bet someone here will have some advice.

Diane B

I've used a stylus with my Ipad one for almost two years every day without a screen protector and am using one with my Ipad 3 without protector. I have several--a Pogo (I think), one I bought from Best Buy, maybe a Griffin, but my favorite is a Jot from Adonit which is quite different and is like writing with a ball point pen.
http://adonit.net/product/jot/
I use it with Noteshelf, Notability and Goodreader. Terry has a new stylus--don't know the name and its also quite different.

Diane

If you use a stylus with your ipad, do you need a screen protector or are they gentle enough without one?

Godfrey

If you use a stylus with your ipad, do you need a screen protector or are they gentle enough without one?
The iPad display, like the iPhone, is made of gorilla glass and *extremely* durable. The available styli are all soft-tips and simply cannot scratch it at all.

I've dropped hard, sharp things on the iPad and thought, "Oh my gosh, there's gonna be a big scratch from that surely!" and then just buffed it off ... not a mark. Gorilla glass is just amazing stuff.

schuster

Thank you Diane and Godfrey for your thoughtful responses! I really appreciate it.

Just one problem... I need to get some sleep!! This iPad is so addictive! I've even pushed aside doing my taxes, can you believe.

I am blown away by all of the beautifully designed and well thought-out apps that I've downloaded for $0 to $3. Notability and Noteshelf are indeed different AND similar to each other, and both are incredible. I've been a Dropbox fan for about a year and use it every day, and any software that incorporates it gets my full attention right off the bat. Wouldn't it be ideal if Noteshelf and Notability merged?

Skype makes the iPad a smartphone on steroids! Handy to have.

Of course the incredible display is everything it's cracked up to be. My images have never looked so good!

And... my primary purpose for the Wi-Fi/4G version was the Personal Hotspot for when my DSL goes down. Tried it today and it worked like a charm! Worth the price right there, for me.

Thanks again for all of your help.

toobacat

I just bought Notability and I ordered a Jot mini stylus. After a year, I'm finally learning how to use my ipad. :) My warranty runs out in a few days, so I think I'm going to purchase the AppleCare extended warranty. I don't usually purchase extended warranties, but I've heard that Apple repairs can be very expensive.

sangio

I just purchased the new Ipad, my first tablet of any kind, and I have to admit I'm somewhat underwhelmed with the whole tablet experience.

But there are two apps that I've downloaded that are worth a look.

Zinio for the Ipad, from Zinio.com, was the main reason I purchased a tablet. It provides access to digital subscriptions for several hundred magazines. Their latest update has improved the speed of page rendering. It's actually faster than page rendering with Apple's ibook app.

MotionX-GPS Drive HD, from the App Store. For $2.99 it's a pretty good GPS. Turn by turn voice guidance costs $9.99 per year right now.

It does have some restrictions that I don't care for though. The maps are not pre-loaded to the Ipad, but are downloaded on the fly along your route through the 4G connection. It's fast and quite accurate.
You CAN preload a trip map through the WiFi, but it will only download a fairly narrow swath along your route. If you stray from your route, you're basically "off the grid" unless you backtrack, or turn on your 4G. And you can NOT use the same pre-loaded map to retrace your route back. So, if you preload a trip from A to B, you also have to preload a trip from B to A.
And preloading a long trip route is painfully slow.

The gps chip in the 4G version of the Ipad locks on very quickly, much faster than my aging Garmin unit.

If you have a data plan with unlimited data download, this app is great.

cheers.... Santo

raywest

that still gives me a chuckle. :)
i often use mine as a lunch tray ... !
I don't actually know if anyone would be willing to try it with an ipad, but I used to clean pc keyboards (when they cost more than a few quid) by putting them in a dishwasher - and then I had to wait a week for them to dry out.

Best wishes,
Ray

Godfrey

Don't know whether it's been mentioned before, but Air Display is an app that allows an iPad or iPhone to become a second, wireless display - an extension of the host computer's desktop.

It is handy, extends the usefulness of the iPad AND your laptop very nicely.

schuster

I've used Teamviewer several times on my laptop to access my desktop machine from another city. Once getting past the nonintuitive (to me) user interface, it worked well enough. Now that I'm addic... I mean using... my iPad, I tried the Teamview app. It just did not work nearly as well as with the laptop.

Looking for an alternative, I tried LogMein (log me in). Huge difference! Easy interface, well designed and quick. I even caught a typo on one of my websites, opened BBEdit on my desktop, via my iPad, and made the correction on the spot. I can't wait to give Photoshop a whirl.

I'm using the free version of LogMein that includes all the bells and whistles of the paid version for 14 days. The paid version includes file transfers, but think I'm already covered with DropBox for iPad. I'll have check into that.

sangio

Not an app, a case, I picked up a Targus Slim Case for the new iPad when they first came out. It's a folio type case with cut outs for everything except the sim card opening. It even has a cut out for the Apple logo on the back. I don't see any impact on the wifi or 4g signal.
The exterior feels like Oxford broadcloth and the interior like brushed cotton ....really nice
The only downside is that the magnetic on/off doesn't work on the early shipments. Check before buying if you're tempted.
Cheers
Santo

Diane B

I bought the Targus Vuescape and like it a lot. Its a sturdier, better looking and a bit better functionally than the original Apple case for Ipad One. It has 4 viewing angles and covers every need I have from typing on screen to standing tallish for using BT keyboard. Its also quite nice in 4th angle for sitting in lap for reading hands free which I did before with Propup.