The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

CF -> iPod???

Lisa

A possibly stupid i-thingie question...

I just got an iPod touch with 64 gig of memory to take on airline flights, and it occurred to me that 64 gig can back up plenty of photos. Is there any way, with some extra cabling or small hardware, to back up photos from a DSLR and/or its CF card to all that memory?

(Whenever I get Apple products, which isn't often, I always end up trying to do nonstandard things with them... :eek:)

Lisa

Scargos2

Hello Lisa. To back up photos there is not a big selection and none are very good.
Read the Ipad Discussions below, to see what is available.
Good Luck

Diane B

Lisa, I have a 64GB Touch also so took my Camera Connector for the Ipad just to see if it was usable. Stuck an SD card in it, inserted into the charger port and got the message that "this accessory is not supported by the Touch". Too bad. Sounded like a good idea to me LOL. You can, of course, add photos through Itunes but that doesn't do you any good for backup purposes

I really like my Touch and use it now primarily for internet radio (RCA cables for all my sound systems and radios) plus my own music. Also just synced the calendar with my Ipad and Google calendar. I can read with all my ebook apps in a pinch as well as news snd blogs but I was going blind LOL, thus my purchase of the Ipad.

Lisa

Thanks, Diane. It's nice to know that someone else is thinking along the same lines! Actually, my spouse did a web search last night and found that the older iPods *could* do what we want with an extra cable, but that ability was disabled in the newer iPod models. Hmmph. The older ones had so little memory anyway that it wasn't very useful for those of us who take anything bigger than JPGs...

I guess I'm stuck backing up on a laptop. So much bigger and heavier!

Lisa

saxshooter

Ipods aren't a great solution for dumping cards. You may want to check out the Hyperdrive series of devices, or perhaps a small netbook with a built in harddrive.

Lisa

Hi saxshooter - a small netbook with internal hard drive is what I'm currently using. I was just hoping to carry one thing rather than two, and the iPod is smaller...

Lisa